Changing TE, Could SE change too?

Sarmatian Empire

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Admin']
5) Added peak infrastructure and peak land purchased. If your land or infrastructure fall below your peak levels (minus 100 so that you can't cheat) then the purchase cost to replace it is reduced by 50%.
[/quote]
I don't think this change will dictate more wars. There is certainly no relationship that says "If Infra = cheaper, then wars will more readily occur". Most people's warchests are becoming so big, infra cost really doesn't matter, and this will become more true as time goes on. Considering most people playing CN are around High School or College age, and the fact that most schools have 2 breaks from school a year is a much more influencing reason for war then infra cost. If admin could create more breaks in the school year, that would probably directly influence the number of wars. That said, I doubt this change will be more influencing of wars then idol time away from school.

This change would effectively allow you to grow faster the bigger you are. I'm not sure admin wants to go that route. This game is incredibly time dependent. Furthermore, there is already a major divide between new players and players that are 1500 days old. It already takes a few years to get in the top 10%. As time goes on, it will take longer and longer for new members to be as big as some of the older members. This change would make it even harder for new nations to become as powerful as older nations.

I guess it all depends on who admin wants to cater to...the old loyal members. Or newbies. Catering to loyal members is good, because you know they will stay if the changes benefit them. Catering to newbies is a risk, because they might not stay. However, it's pretty clear if this game doesnt get a new influx of newbies, the game will be dead in a few years.

[quote name='ace072199' timestamp='1298223786' post='2639554']
I think if we were able to change our resources, a majority of people would find trade partners who they are close to and who are active. Then create whatever set they want. They would start out at a set that would benefit them financially, while mainly just collecting taxes, Then they would probably coordinate their infra jumps all together and switch their resources to a infra cost reduction set, then switch back 7 days later to the trade set that gives them more money. Then in times of war, they would all coordinate and change to a military set.

The hardcore players would probably coordinate and change their resources every 20 days to maximize their collection on the 20th day and reduce their bills while paying bills for the first 20 days.

Other than it making certain resources and trade sets irrelevant I am not sure if their is a downside. It adds a whole new strategy to the game.
[/quote]
I haven't tried this in TE yet, but I think you just re-roll resources, right? You don't get to pick them? I mean if you rolled long enough you would eventually get what you want, but it would be incredibly risky to switch resources. I think people would only use it when they started out with crap resources and/or when they lose their trade circle. I think that is a great idea because I know several people who have quit the game after losing trades. If it's pick your resources, then it would suck, but SE definitely needs something to balance trades. Luck in your initial resource roll has WAY too much impact right now.

IMO:

Adding 1,2,6, and 9 would make SE better.

Other changes would be more interesting though:

Have 2 updates a day.

More events with more detailed decisions/impacts.

Making wonders interact with nation growth. (IE: You can't go above 5k infra until you buy an Interstate System. Or over 6K until you buy Internet. Etc. Basically you can only grow infra so high irl before you need to start focusing it on another aspect, so why not have that like it in SE?)

[quote name='Trinite' timestamp='1298314895' post='2640808']
I haven't tried this in TE yet, but I think you just re-roll resources, right? You don't get to pick them? I mean if you rolled long enough you would eventually get what you want, but it would be incredibly risky to switch resources. I think people would only use it when they started out with crap resources and/or when they lose their trade circle. I think that is a great idea because I know several people who have quit the game after losing trades. If it's pick your resources, then it would suck, but SE definitely needs something to balance trades. Luck in your initial resource roll has WAY too much impact right now.
[/quote]

You get to pick them. Rerolling resources would be more applicable to SE though.

[quote]
1) You can purchase up to 100 levels of infras and land at a time instead of 50. (not really a big deal)
2) Nations start out with $5 million startup funds instead of $1 million. (neat)
3) Wars last for 5 days instead of 7 days. (interesting)
4) Nations can change their native resources once every 7 days for free. You can change them immediately after creating your nation instead of having to reroll. Trades get automatically updated to reflect a nation's resource change, so if you're trading for Sugar and Cattle and your trade partner changes to Rubber and Oil now you get Rubber and Oil. (magnificent or chaotic, depends on how you coordinate)
5) Added peak infrastructure and peak land purchased. If your land or infrastructure fall below your peak levels (minus 100 so that you can't cheat) then the purchase cost to replace it is reduced by 50%.
6) Global Radiation Level will be based off of the last 15 days rather than 30 days.
7) The techmod has been increased from 0.01% to 0.1%.
8) The Manhattan Project wonder cost has been increased from $2 million to $5 million.
9) The donation bonus amounts have been doubled.[/quote]

1- Horrible idea without modification as you could buy 100 infra for the cost of 1 infra. At higher infrastructure levels, boosting would be incredibly cheaper than it currently is. Maybe if the equation was scaled to cost the same amount no matter how much infrastructure you purchase. so buying 100 infra at a time = cost of buying 100 infra in sets of 10. = buying 100 infra in sets of 1.

2- increase a little bit for SE, but its decent where it is at now. Giving them 5 mill or even 1 mill is way to much.

3- no, 7 days is a perfect amount

4- Would break the game for several months while people switch everything. This would make things really insane. I think more along the lines of upping the capabilities/bonus resources of current duds

5- no, It should always be expensive to re-build to previous levels. That is what war-chests are for. Wars should not be fully recoverable infra wise wtihin a day.

6-probably a good idea for SE

7- would imbalance the game WAY to much.

8- a possibility, make it more costly to go for the MP as your first wonder, thereby focusing nations on econ wonders before military ones.

9- would definitely be good for SE.

The resource game needs help. It has been irritating players and chasing many off for a long time. However, there are existing players and trades to consider before jumping to the ability to switch resources.

Personally, I would prefer the entire framework to go away and move to a more conventional model of "farming" like so many games use. But I don't see that happening.

If the system must somehow be related to the old one then I would go with this model.

Players in their first week get one random fixed and one variable resource that they can "reroll" once per day while they sit in the first week hippie mode. Once the week ends or they go into war mode they are stuck forever. The one fixed resource ensures a random scattering of all resources, while the variable second allows players to get rid of the worst combos, like Lead/Pigs, Spices/Rubber, or other pairs that leave the player left out of popular trade circles because they can't fit in them. Established players must reroll their nations or live with what they have.

Additionally would be the mechanism to allow players to "farm" two resources of their choice. You cannot trade them and you cannot get more that the usual 12 resources. Basically it lets players skip a 5th trade if they want to, or let circles form with only 5 members. You have to buy the improvement that gives you the resource and you must delete it if you want to accept a 5th trade.

The second part also gives scalability to the farming concept. If in the future we lose more players then Admin has the option to add the allowable numbers of farms a player can own. Or if he simply wishes to phase out the trading system he can do it gradually without mass disruption.

Allowing nations to re-roll (or just pick) their resources would be the best thing to ever happen to SE. If I had to guess, I'd say more mid-sized nations quit playing because of the inability to find or keep a trade circle (because they have furs/wine/lead) than any other reason. I know I've considered it, and I have average resources.

[quote name='Krack' timestamp='1298788659' post='2645940']
Allowing nations to re-roll (or just pick) their resources would be the best thing to ever happen to SE. If I had to guess, I'd say more mid-sized nations quit playing because of the inability to find or keep a trade circle (because they have furs/wine/lead) than any other reason. I know I've considered it, and I have average resources.
[/quote]
Even to go as far as allow a nation to change each resource ONE time only would do miracles for anyone who does trade circles and has to work with oil/sugar or furs/gold

I don't think we need any change to the price of the manhattan project, but I'd love to see the peak infra/land implemented, and on the note of the trades, the TE method isn't ideal to carry over, but I think that it'd be nice if you could buy a resource change, prices fluctuating based on your nation size similar to the moon/mars wonders.

As a nation who's fairly recently bought the MP in SE, I'd say that it's expensive enough already. It breaks the budget enough to leave a nation highly vulnerable for at least a month or two. You can't really delay MP purchase for a month either, because that still leaves you sitting without nukes for a month when everyone has them. If you want to discourage nukes, increase nuke costs or maintenance.

) You can purchase up to 100 levels of infras and land at a time instead of 50. (not really a big deal)

Not a big deal if you're in the GPA sure...(I personally would love to see the cap of 10 at a time rise to at least 20...)

Edited by Jens of the desert

2) Nations start out with $5 million startup funds instead of $1 million. (neat)

Same idea, proportional to whatever it is that nations start out with here.

Maybe not 50% but some discount for sure.

Those are the only 2 I would really welcome, though I wouldn't necessarily be against a couple others.