This Week in History

Schattenmann

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1282197177' post='2422772']
Don't worry, one day you'll have a legacy to be proud of, too. Or perhaps one at all.

In the meantime, it's always nice to meet a former member of Polaris who is unaware that Vox was formed largely as a result of machinations against their former alliance.
[/quote]
[color="#FF0000"]On that, you are mistaken. I was actually around when Vox formed, and for probably the first half of it's existence. Hell, I even voted in the Red Senate races for you.

That is beside the point. Vox Popular has became more important in it's own legacy, and self-generated myth, than it ever was at the time prior to Karma, and leading up to it. The only worthy mention that it deserves is for it's unorthodox tactics, and unfettered spy network. The old Hegemony more or less committed suicide, and Vox more or less helped them do it.

I am not saying that you are not entitled to having your own parade, but don't get upset when I decide to rain on it. Seriously, "Woot Vox" announcements feel as common as, well, "Legion Dramaramah" announcements, and at this point, feels a little overdone.

Vox may have been an important source of entertainment and merriment back in the day, but it's actions are of very little significance today, unless looked at in the broader spectrum of the whole Karma coalition that militarily destroyed the old Hegemony.

Former Vox members can choose to revel in their own past, and the glory hole that they have carved out for themselves in history, but all the while they do that, it deserves to be duly noted of how glaringly insignificant they have become in recent times.[/color]

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Zombie Glaucon' timestamp='1282211633' post='2423009']

Also he should change his forum avatar and signature. Though I suspect he keeps them on purpose, not just from being lazy and incompetent.
[/quote]
[color="#FF0000"]I will as soon as a competent artist makes me a new one that I like. I have already told D34th this, after he requested me to change it, and I have yet to get a reply. Needless to say, I dont think it's very high on anyones priority list.[/color]

[quote name='DictatatorDan' timestamp='1282322140' post='2424620']
[color="#FF0000"]
Former Vox members can choose to revel in their own past, and the glory hole that they have carved out for themselves in history, but all the while they do that, it deserves to be duly noted of how glaringly insignificant they have become in recent times.[/color]
[/quote]
Well since we don't exist anymore, I doube we could become significant again.

Look, people like to say that GWIII, that GWII, and that GWI were all some of the greatest moments. They still do. Those came even before Vox. I'm not saying you have to hail this announcement, but your disdain doesn't add anything because regardless of what you do, on May 20th of next year, there will be a Vox Disbandment anniversary thread.

OOC: I mean hell, like 5 threads on the OWF are all about past events which are "insignificant" at this point.

Edited by Earogema

[color="#FF0000"]Former Vox members can choose to revel in their own past, and [b]the glory hole that they have carved out for themselves[/b] in history, but all the while they do that, it deserves to be duly noted of how glaringly insignificant they have become in recent times.[/color][/quote]

That's a rather telling bit of imagery there. Thank you, however, for sharing your hobbies and interests with us.

But since you mentioned it, I thought I'd have a look at the former Vox members I dealt with the most and where they are now....

I co-founded what is currently CN's 24th-largest alliance. (28th by score.) Looking at others who were active in Vox, I see an assortment of current leadership and other high-ranking members of various alliances, some regular members who keep to themselves and, sadly, a few who have departed from this world.

A mixed bag, of course, but trending toward active leadership as opposed to passive following.

Would you like to try and fail for a third time? Or shall we see each other in May?

Edited by Ashoka the Great

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' timestamp='1282346140' post='2425073']
That's a rather telling bit of imagery there. Thank you, however, for sharing your hobbies and interests with us.
[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"]I did rather enjoy the artistic use of the term "Glory Hole". Former Vox members of all people, should be able to appreciate that[/color].

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1281860092' post='2416531']
I'm going to pepper this thing with favorite memories, so everyone just get used to it early. Here's another one: We tried to get GPA to join the noCB War (or War of the Colaition) as harrrrrd as we could. Obviously, that didn't happen. In the course of discussions, I asked Doitzel to help me out because I suck at FA, so he joined the channel and proceeded to tell whichever GPA gov was there what a bunch of punk sissies they were. -_- I watered things down to "well will you at least give me a member list so we can spam for senate votes" and was told no, but a few hours later flak attack sent me an OWF PM with the list. Cylon was soon a Green Senator.
[/quote]
Haha. I forgot about that. I wonder if I still have logs of that chat somewhere.

Former Vox members can choose to revel in their own past, and the glory hole that they have carved out for themselves in history, but all the while they do that, it deserves to be duly noted of how glaringly insignificant they have become in recent times.
[/quote]
For someone so insignificant there sure are still a lot of posts about me all over the place, considering I haven't played in ... what? Two years or something. Reminiscing about the fun there used to be seems to be the only source of activity around here anymore. The fact that our mere memory sustains so much conversation speaks for itself. It harks back to an era when things were interesting, dynamic, and exciting. I can think of no greater contribution to the world.

I miss these times. Someone needs to hurry up and establish total dominance. What's the bloody hold-up?

[quote name='Crymson' timestamp='1282468928' post='2426506']
You really do give yourself more credit than is due. Your organization was, at worst, a minor annoyance.
[/quote]
As opposed to runner-up for highest average NS in 2008. Don't you have some grass to be slithering in? The good players are reminiscing.

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1282468606' post='2426503']
For someone so insignificant there sure are still a lot of posts about me all over the place, considering I haven't played in ... what? Two years or something. Reminiscing about the fun there used to be seems to be the only source of activity around here anymore. The fact that our mere memory sustains so much conversation speaks for itself. It harks back to an era when things were interesting, dynamic, and exciting. I can think of no greater contribution to the world.

I miss these times. Someone needs to hurry up and establish total dominance. What's the bloody hold-up?
[/quote]
[color="#FF0000"]Iknorite. Maybe I am just a little annoyed that the best the world today could come up with for intresting conversation is merely limited to "YayVox" and "LegionLawls". [/color]

You really do give yourself more credit than is due. Your organization was, at worst, a minor annoyance.
[/quote]
Better to be a minor annoyance to your enemies than a major hindrance to your own alliance.
[quote name='Yevgeni Luchenkov' timestamp='1282498101' post='2426707']
Had a lot of fun. Some names are still missing from the initial list, it seems, but it's their call I guess.
[/quote]
We were really just that unorganized in the early days.

As a relatively young nation that hasn't been around while, I find great pleasure in reading this topic.

It is both well-written and very captivating, and I can only wish that I could've experienced first-hand what you and others enjoyed here on Planet Bob.

[quote name='Doitzel' timestamp='1282468606' post='2426503']

[/quote]

Well, since the groups in control of the world are in total, seemingly unbreakable peace (or rigor mortis, to use a more suitable term), you could say a period of global dominance has been reestablished. However, the downtrodden alliances are still too strong for its members to possibly jump to a resistance movement. Honestly, the members of a new Vox would have to come from NPO, NSO, TOP, Purple, etc, and they're still too far from desperation. However, in order for the alliances in charge now to consolidate as strongly as NPO & Co. did, somebody is going to have to have the [i]cojones[/i] to be the Hegemon. Now, I'm not saying I hope it happens; I'm just saying if you are looking to start a Third Vox Populi, those times may be far off if none of these goons step forward and lead.

[quote name='Earogema' timestamp='1282500367' post='2426723']
We were really just that unorganized in the early days.
[/quote]
Oh I know that. I'm mostly refering to a select few who, I believe, never came out of the shadows, so to speak.

Edited by Yevgeni Luchenkov

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1281989599' post='2418185']
Reyne was not a sympathetic character. She was--at the time--what I would call a screaming banshee or wailing harpy. OG declared war on Vox Populi over attacks on a nation that was flying "Grand Global Alliance"--an alliance we had declared war on--after deciding that the first jerk they encountered with a [Vox] tagin #vox_populi was qualified to speak on behalf of the alliance. So, war is war and all is fair in love and war. And I love Reyne Mordigan, and I was at war with her. So there ya go she knew what was coming.
[/quote]
She hated Vox so much that OG violated the Mobius Accords to hit UPN POW because UPN wasn't allowed to take surrenders from Vox.

Sigh. Oh how I wish people had listened to me then, heh.

Anyway, thanks Schatt for posting the list, including the guy who made Invicta gov after he left. It'll make future arguments easier. :)

Edited by Haflinger

On that, you are mistaken. I was actually around when Vox formed, and for probably the first half of it's existence. Hell, I even voted in the Red Senate races for you.[/quote]
Many people joined Vox and never knew what it was about. Sorry for your loss.
That is beside the point. Vox Popular has became more important in it's own legacy, and self-generated myth, than it ever was at the time prior to Karma, and leading up to it. The only worthy mention that it deserves is for it's unorthodox tactics, and unfettered spy network. The old Hegemony more or less committed suicide, and Vox more or less helped them do it.

I am not saying that you are not entitled to having your own parade, but don't get upset when I decide to rain on it. Seriously, "Woot Vox" announcements feel as common as, well, "Legion Dramaramah" announcements, and at this point, feels a little overdone. [/quote]
You've been informed by about 6 people that there are 2 threads a year. If you're still ignorant, it's your own fault at this point. But feel free to remain a twit.
Vox may have been an important source of entertainment and merriment back in the day, but it's actions are of very little significance today, unless looked at in the broader spectrum of the whole Karma coalition that militarily destroyed the old Hegemony.

Former Vox members can choose to revel in their own past, and the glory hole that they have carved out for themselves in history, but all the while they do that, it deserves to be duly noted of how glaringly insignificant they have become in recent times.
[/quote]
Your problem is that you've taken a position in order to get a reaction, and in doing so you've forced yourself to make self-contradicting statements like "[Vox} is of little significance today, [b]unless[/b] ..." Right: Unless. Welcome to the study of history my ignorant Vox flunk-out pal.
Vox Populi did not exist in a vacuum, just as Karma didn't, or NpO, or NPO, or GATO. All events are part of a tapestry and they are all significant by degrees in their total impact on the whole piece.

But, hey, you've got 9 months to reformulate your arguments. Next time don't forget the calibre of people you're going to be talking to so you don't look so silly.

[/quote]
For so minor an annoyance you sure did some major crying.

[quote name='Yevgeni Luchenkov' timestamp='1282498101' post='2426707']
Had a lot of fun. Some names are still missing from the initial list, it seems, but it's their call I guess.
[/quote]
The nature of the beast. Anyone that belongs there is as close as the edit button.

[quote name='Haflinger' timestamp='1282540331' post='2427329']
She hated Vox so much that OG violated the Mobius Accords to hit UPN POW because UPN wasn't allowed to take surrenders from Vox.

Sigh. Oh how I wish people had listened to me then, heh.

Anyway, thanks Schatt for posting the list, including the guy who made Invicta gov after he left. It'll make future arguments easier. :)
[/quote]
Yeah, the whole forum especially for Vox surrenders that they set up was such a load. I wonder if anyone still has a link to that thing?

I was always astonished at how many members of Vox managed to make gov with such speed even before we suspended operations.

[quote name='Rebounder' timestamp='1282702887' post='2430286']
My suggestion:

Wouldn't those sigs look better with all the avatars "V"'d?

Also, who is that on the bottom left? How about one from far bottom right?
[/quote]

Not sure about the left, but the bottom far right is Lord Valentine.