An Announcement from TIO

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Van Hoo III' date='24 June 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1277436655' post='2349569']
I am going to create a thread of the entire situation from my point of view, just so that I feel complete.
[/quote]

I better get a mention in said thread!

[quote name='Van Hoo III' date='24 June 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1277436655' post='2349569']
I am going to create a thread of the entire situation from my point of view, just so that I feel complete.
[/quote]

I expect everyone, from this moment forward, to have a full dossier on VA members, their families' backgrounds and the like before making any comments in our channel. I've started one on a few members, but have had to ad lib a few of the details. Please let me know if anyone has an illness, mental retardation, speech impediment or limp so that I may steer clear of such jokes.

Then again, we could all not be so damned sensitive and realize it's impersonal and we really don't know you. These "lol momma jokes" are inconsequential and should be dismissed as such. If you are that deeply affected by a person's comments on IRC, you probably should be spending your time elsewhere.

[quote name='JWConner' date='24 June 2010 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1277441206' post='2349699']
Then again, we could all not be so damned sensitive and realize it's impersonal and we really don't know you. These "lol momma jokes" are inconsequential and should be dismissed as such. If you are that deeply affected by a person's comments on IRC, you probably should be spending your time elsewhere.
[/quote]

Skippy just recently found out his mother had cancer and was just beginning to deal with the entire situation. Obviously, he would be a little more than sore to hear a comment about his mom that way. OOC: Most of TIO government know Skippy personally and we all knew what he was dealing with. Hearing something like that also set us off since we're close friends. I'm sure if you just found out that your mom had cancer and somebody were to say something about your mother and laugh about her having cancer, even in joke, you'd probably pop them in the mouth.

[quote name='commander thrawn' date='25 June 2010 - 01:46 AM' timestamp='1277444761' post='2349764']
Just give up on it already.
[/quote]
[img]http://www.watchdogwag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/officer_barbrady_move_along_sm.jpg[/img]
Can we just let this die now?

[quote name='Sentinal' date='24 June 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1277444288' post='2349750']
Skippy just recently found out his mother had cancer and was just beginning to deal with the entire situation. Obviously, he would be a little more than sore to hear a comment about his mom that way. OOC: Most of TIO government know Skippy personally and we all knew what he was dealing with. Hearing something like that also set us off since we're close friends. I'm sure if you just found out that your mom had cancer and somebody were to say something about your mother and laugh about her having cancer, even in joke, you'd probably pop them in the mouth.
[/quote]

He called his mom immoral, and then typed lol at ReytheGreat’s comment about that being a burn if they were all 8. I don’t honestly know what you guys are all butt hurt about. And I’m at a loss as to why Skippy would even bring up the fact that his mother has cancer.
To threaten an alliance with war over this and feel a need for negotiations and an apology makes TIO look like a bunch of fools. I hope to Admin your protectorate didn’t tell you to make this thread. And I hope they slap the dog !@#$ out of you for doing it.

[quote name='ironchef' date='25 June 2010 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1277445807' post='2349793']
He called his mom immoral, and then typed lol at ReytheGreat’s comment about that being a burn if they were all 8. I don’t honestly know what you guys are all butt hurt about. And I’m at a loss as to why Skippy would even bring up the fact that his mother has cancer.
To threaten an alliance with war over this and feel a need for negotiations and an apology makes TIO look like a bunch of fools. I hope to Admin your protectorate didn’t tell you to make this thread. And I hope they slap the dog !@#$ out of you for doing it.
[/quote]
I'm going saying this as polite as I possibly can

For the love of admin, shut up. You don't know all the facts, your speculations frankly are a load of crap.

Thank you, I'm done with these threads now. If anyone desperately needs to talk about this, I'm in #TIO. That is all.

[quote name='Sentinal' date='25 June 2010 - 12:38 AM' timestamp='1277444288' post='2349750']
[/quote]

[ooc] And the fact his mother has cancer was brought into the conversation on his own accord. If he was dealing with something so serious that he would get that affected by it on IRC, he shouldn't be openly discussing his mother's condition with people he doesn't know. That was on him.[/ooc]

If you don't want something commented on, don't bring it up. Saying "your mom" in a conversation as a comeback or insult is an empty remark. There's never a basis behind the joke/insult, but it's commonly used. Again, it's not on strangers to know each person's personal (ooc) situation or know the validity of them. Again, if it's such a huge ordeal and something so personal, keep it to yourself and to those who are your friends. I have family members with impediments and illnesses but I don't get all uppity when someone makes a comment about the conditions on IRC because it doesn't matter. It's really not that hard to do.

[quote name='Van Hoo III' date='24 June 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1277436655' post='2349569']I am going to create a thread of the entire situation from my point of view, just so that I feel complete.[/quote]

If you do this, I shall [s]create a thread[/s] issue a formal statement taking you to task for wasting everyone's time via the creation of said thread.

With a bit of luck, someone will be offended by this.

Edited by Ashoka the Great

[quote name='Felix von Agnu' date='24 June 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1277435441' post='2349518']
There is not a facepalm large enough for this whole cluster$%&@. Seriously, what he said wasn't all that vile. All I see is people trying to create a mountain out of a molehill.
[/quote]

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Comments like that aren't warranted, but in this case it seems to be the perpetrator didn't even realize the situation. The gist of this seems to be a whole bunch of bantering that was attempted to be summed up into a pretty trashy CB.

Also, Crymson - apparently this makes you a wanted man.

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/35k645i.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Desperado

[quote name='Van Hoo III' date='25 June 2010 - 04:31 AM' timestamp='1277436655' post='2349569']
[/quote]
I shall counter with my own... we should be able to leep this alive for another 15 minutes, at least.

[quote name='Banksy' date='25 June 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1277442564' post='2349720']
Was this thread supposed to legitimise your actions? Because it just makes you look worse....
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]I have to agree. It makes this entire affair look even more stupid once you get into the various queries. Both alliances ought to rolled for taking part in this stupidity. Really.

OOC: I still don't feel any sympathy towards TIO. I've lost family to cancer, so I know it isn't pleasant. Nevertheless, it does not change the fact that litrekie did not say anything remotely offensive, and considering that this is the internet why should he have taken you seriously? He had no idea your mother had cancer until you brought it up after he made a harmless "yo momma" joke. I would have assumed too that you were just messing around, because really, you were in his channel causing trouble. Really, these logs just make you look more pathetic.

As for the queries where he dismisses you, yes it does wreck of incompetent diplomatic handling. He comes off as a fool, yes, however, he cannot be faulted for anything else as he did no wrong. Had I been in a similar position I'd have done the same thing. I would have made it clear to you that I don't play the OOC card, nor do I respond to it. I'd have dismissed you too because this entire debacle is absolute rubbish. You really should be embarassed.[/color]

[quote name='Tigerdonia Redux' date='24 June 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1277436741' post='2349571']
OOC: Skippy, I'm sorry that your mother has cancer, but just because someone mentions her doesn't mean they are poking fun at her cancer.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]OOC: "Yo momma" jokes are empty to begin with. I doubt anyone has ever truly considered the joke to be about someone's mother. It is a rather impersonal joke.[/color]

[quote name='Sentinal' date='25 June 2010 - 01:53 AM' timestamp='1277445211' post='2349781']
OOC: You're heartless.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]OOC: Jesus Christ this is ridiculous. I've seen quite a few disgusting jokes in my time, and sometimes I do not find the subject matter to be overly funny. Yet I can still laugh, since it truly is better than being depressed and offended by everything. Like I said, I have lost family members to cancer. I know the pain. And you something, everyone on this planet has lost someone they know to some disease, or they themselves are suffering from it. So get over yourselves. You aren't that special.

As I said, I've been down the road Skippy is at. I can empathize with him, and if he wishes to talk, he can. But quite frankly he's overreacting to nothing. No one knew his situation, and you know what, even now a "yo momma" joke wouldn't be out of line or overly offensive. But he brought the situation on himself by revealing the information and making a show out of it to get a CB. And that is just disgraceful.

Either that or he needs a thicker skin, because he'll need it down the line. I know it doesn't get any easier. It gets a lot worse. As prickly as this advice may sound, and as ungentle as it may be, trust me, it is the truth.[/color]

Edited by Rebel Virginia

Well this whole thing is just silly. TIO getting angry over a "yo momma" joke is rather silly. Makes this whole drama silly.

PS: I would like my couple minutes back with at least 50 tech.

OOC: Skippy personally I do hope you mom gets well soon.

Edited by Sir Keshav IV

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='25 June 2010 - 05:20 AM' timestamp='1277457596' post='2349891']
[color="#0000FF"]I have to agree. It makes this entire affair look even more stupid once you get into the various queries. Both alliances ought to rolled for taking part in this stupidity. Really.

OOC: I still don't feel any sympathy towards TIO. I've lost family to cancer, so I know it isn't pleasant. Nevertheless, it does not change the fact that litrekie did not say anything remotely offensive, and considering that this is the internet why should he have taken you seriously? He had no idea your mother had cancer until you brought it up after he made a harmless "yo momma" joke. I would have assumed too that you were just messing around, because really, you were in his channel causing trouble. Really, these logs just make you look more pathetic.

As for the queries where he dismisses you, yes it does wreck of incompetent diplomatic handling. He comes off as a fool, yes, however, he cannot be faulted for anything else as he did no wrong. Had I been in a similar position I'd have done the same thing. I would have made it clear to you that I don't play the OOC card, nor do I respond to it. I'd have dismissed you too because this entire debacle is absolute rubbish. You really should be embarassed.[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]OOC: "Yo momma" jokes are empty to begin with. I doubt anyone has ever truly considered the joke to be about someone's mother. It is a rather impersonal joke.[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]OOC: Jesus Christ this is ridiculous. I've seen quite a few disgusting jokes in my time, and sometimes I do not find the subject matter to be overly funny. Yet I can still laugh, since it truly is better than being depressed and offended by everything. Like I said, I have lost family members to cancer. I know the pain. And you something, everyone on this planet has lost someone they know to some disease, or they themselves are suffering from it. So get over yourselves. You aren't that special.

As I said, I've been down the road Skippy is at. I can empathize with him, and if he wishes to talk, he can. But quite frankly he's overreacting to nothing. No one knew his situation, and you know what, even now a "yo momma" joke wouldn't be out of line or overly offensive. But he brought the situation on himself by revealing the information and making a show out of it to get a CB. And that is just disgraceful.

Either that or he needs a thicker skin, because he'll need it down the line. I know it doesn't get any easier. It gets a lot worse. As prickly as this advice may sound, and as ungentle as it may be, trust me, it is the truth.[/color]
[/quote]

I think for the first time ever, I agree with the entirety of something said by RV.

I'm starting to see a whole new world