STA June Press Conference

[quote name='Uralica' date='01 June 2010 - 02:21 AM' timestamp='1275373266' post='2318849']
Should Uralica increase its Twinkie production? :P(Now for something serious) What ideas does the STA have with regards to promoting the white sphere?
[/quote]

Not much, honestly. We did a bit more before the last war, but these days we have some info on the white team trading forum in our recruiting messages and we teach a bit about the team in our academy.

[quote name='JackSkellington' date='01 June 2010 - 02:22 AM' timestamp='1275373346' post='2318850']
Should Ronin have stayed dead?
[/quote]

No. I've seen this question multiple times in the last couple of weeks. Did I miss something? You guys seems pretty quiet and you're not really troublemakers.

[quote name='Skippy' date='01 June 2010 - 05:02 AM' timestamp='1275382903' post='2318922']
What are your thoughts on Sirius?How fairs the rebuilding?What are your thoughts on TIO currently?
[/quote]

ODOAPs are pointless and meaningless. It's like signing a contract saying that you're allowed to put sugar in your coffee if you want to, but you don't have to. Every single alliance in the Cyberverse has an ODOAP with every other alliance automatically. It's called sovereignty.

We're pretty much done with the organized rebuilding, and now we're focusing on our individual nations and building ourselves up more. I'm personally stronger than ever. Quite a few of our folks are.

You haven't done anything to change our positive opinion of you. I don't think you guys have really done much at all.

[quote name='pezstar' date='02 June 2010 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1275403381' post='2319118']
ODOAPs are pointless and meaningless. It's like signing a contract saying that you're allowed to put sugar in your coffee if you want to, but you don't have to. Every single alliance in the Cyberverse has an ODOAP with every other alliance automatically. It's called sovereignty. [/quote]
True, but to an extent, making it an ODoAP bloc brings it above your average NAP colour bloc. Its a shame it isn't currently larger than we hoped, but there is still room for expansion. I also feel more inclined to get to know more of the people in the alliances involved than I did as gov of an alliance in a trading bloc. Either way, it does have its purposes, and they serve us well.

[quote name='pezstar' date='02 June 2010 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1275403381' post='2319118']
You haven't done anything to change our positive opinion of you.
[/quote]
I'm glad you still see us that way :)

I don't think you guys have really done much at all.
[/quote]

In the original TIO, we had a lot of treaties go up in a short space of time. We rushed things, and turned out to be more of a one hit wonder. Naturally doing things differently should achieve a different result should it not? I'm in this for the long run.

[edit]
[img]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5742/rakari.png[/img]
How is Rakari feeling now she is no longer top dog in the Siberian Tech Giants?

Edited by Skippy

[quote name='Skippy' date='01 June 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1275404699' post='2319137']
True, but to an extent, making it an ODoAP bloc brings it above your average NAP colour bloc. Its a shame it isn't currently larger than we hoped, but there is still room for expansion. I also feel more inclined to get to know more of the people in the alliances involved than I did as gov of an alliance in a trading bloc. Either way, it does have its purposes, and they serve us well.

[/quote]

What are the requirements to join the "bloc"?

[quote]II: Entry
To gain entry to Sirius, an alliance must reside on the blue team, undergo a Q&A and, be approved of by a majority vote of 90% consisting of the current members whom decide to vote. Each member alliance receives one vote in this process If an alliance does not receive a majority vote for entry, they will be eligible to apply again in two (2) months time, after improvement of foreign relations, or alliance conduct.[/quote]

Taken from the Sirius Treaty ^^

[quote name='Skippy' date='01 June 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1275404699' post='2319137']
[/quote]

You don't need a piece of paper to get along with someone else. Look at us and STA.

Also, what do you guys think about our international cast of controversial characters? What do you think about our policy to accept them into our ranks?

Edited by Jrenster

[quote name='Jrenster' date='01 June 2010 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1275405924' post='2319156']
You don't need a piece of paper to get along with someone else. Look at us and STA.

Also, what do you guys think about our international cast of controversial characters? What do you think about our policy to accept them into our ranks?
[/quote]

We love that about you. STA has a long history of taking in the folks who other people don't want. When Tyga took me into STA, I was wanted by Valhalla and NPO. He sweet talked NPO and got them to let me go, but he more or less told Valhalla that if they wanted my head, they could come take it. STA is all about second chances, and we think it's great that you folks are too.

[quote name='pezstar' date='01 June 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1275403381' post='2319118']ODOAPs are pointless and meaningless. It's like signing a contract saying that you're allowed to put sugar in your coffee if you want to, but you don't have to. Every single alliance in the Cyberverse has an ODOAP with every other alliance automatically. It's called sovereignty.[/quote]

Can you not see their use at all? For example CoJ doesn't sign treaties with mutual obligations involved as it infringes on their sovereignty. Do you really not see the benefits of the OADP Nemesis signed with them upon their inception? Firstly it's a clear "Tech Raiders GTFO" sign without the mollycoddling of a protectorate. Secondly it avoids accusations of us 'bandwagonning' into wars to defend our friends. Would you suggest an alliance like CoJ goes without a treaty due to their ideals and becomes fodder for raiding parties? Or that they sacrifice their ideals for protection?

While they might be pretty much identical, the difference in the stigma attached to activating an optional defence clause, and declaring a treaty-less war to defend a friend is pretty big. You might argue that shouldn't be the case, if so what should be done to change it?

Edited by Poyplemonkeys

[quote name='Poyplemonkeys' date='01 June 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1275407611' post='2319189']
Can you not see their use at all? For example CoJ doesn't sign treaties with mutual obligations involved as it infringes on their sovereignty. Do you really not see the benefits of the OADP Nemesis signed with them upon their inception? Firstly it's a clear "Tech Raiders GTFO" sign without the mollycoddling of a protectorate. Secondly it avoids accusations of us 'bandwagonning' into wars to defend our friends. Would you suggest an alliance like CoJ goes without a treaty due to their ideals and becomes fodder for raiding parties? Or that they sacrifice their ideals for protection?

While they might be pretty much identical, the difference in the stigma attached to activating an optional defence clause, and declaring a treaty-less war to defend a friend is pretty big. You might argue that shouldn't be the case, if so what should be done to change it?
[/quote]

I really do think an ODOAP is a cop-out. You make some valid points regarding being called bandwagoners or being attacked for declaring a treatyless way, however, and STA has explored and discussed that pretty thoroughly in the past, because it affects us as far as our relationship with NSO goes. Here's what happened just a few weeks ago when we re-examined it.

Lintwad and I were discussing the relationship between our alliances, and we discussed saying "Screw it" and just signing a treaty. We both ended up passing on it because, while the relationship is very much there, the line I consistently spout about us going in different directions is true, and it would be very difficult to make it work if it were a 100% obligation to defend each other. Both sides agree on this, so we kept our relationship unsigned. Here's where it gets sticky. Both STA and NSO have made it very clear numerous times on this public forum that we are very close and that we are more than willing to defend each other if the situation warrants.

If someone comes crying BANDWAGON to either of us, should we ever find ourselves in that position, we have months of proof to the opposite to fall back on. This doesn't mean someone can't call our war aggressive if we defend without a treaty, but really, we're ok with that. It's probably not the path of least resistance, but it's how we feel. NSO told the world that they acknowledge that an ODOAP with the world is a part of sovereignty and made it clear that they reserve that right with their Moldovi Doctrine. We support that idea 100%. But we also recognize that, just as we reserve the right to defend a friend with or without a treaty at any time, other alliances reserve the right to call that defense aggressive and take whatever actions they deem necessary.

So I guess what I should have said is that ODOAPs hold no value to us. Every alliance is different. Some are new and don't have years of goodwill with some alliances to fall back on. Others are old and just starting to branch out. So for some, ODOAPs can hold value. For us, it is not the case.

Edited by pezstar

[quote name='pezstar' date='01 June 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1275408472' post='2319214']

Lintwad and I were discussing the relationship between our alliances, and we discussed saying "Screw it" and just signing a treaty. We both ended up passing on it because, while the relationship is very much there, the line I consistently spout about us going in different directions is true, and it would be very difficult to make it work if it were a 100% obligation to defend each other. Both sides agree on this, so we kept our relationship unsigned. Here's where it gets sticky. Both STA and NSO have made it very clear numerous times on this public forum that we are very close and that we are more than willing to defend each other if the situation warrants.
[/quote]
[size="7"][font="Impact"]
[color="#A0522D"]NSO[/color]/STA for [color="#0000FF"]ODP [/color][color="#FF0000"]2008[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Sir Paul' date='01 June 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1275365296' post='2318635']
That's not true... I've seen forum diplomacy do great harm.
[/quote]

True. I guess I should have said "forum diplomacy has and will never do any good."

[quote name='Skippy' date='01 June 2010 - 04:02 AM' timestamp='1275382903' post='2318922']
What are your thoughts on Sirius?
How fairs the rebuilding?
What are your thoughts on TIO currently?
[/quote]
How long till STA declares on TIO and gives Skippy the ZI he deserves :P

[quote name='montypython' date='02 June 2010 - 08:32 AM' timestamp='1275481961' post='2320416']
A more serious question from CSN, since WickedJ's questions lack importance. :P

What are the general feelings of the STA members towards CSN, especially post-(tiny)-war? Since that means they've actually met us.
[/quote]

We've fought you guys before, so we already knew you, actually. Our opinion of you guys is favorable. You've always been fun, gracious opponents, and very easy to work with.

In other news, STA is going to put our money where our mouth is regarding our earlier statement of "Private channels FTW" being unnecessary in some situations. As such, we're creating an area of our forum where future diplomatic discussions will be posted... with the permission of the alliance we're talking to, of course.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='01 June 2010 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1275409242' post='2319239']
NSO/STA for ODP 2008
[/quote]

If you understand much about either of us surely you know our relationship is pretty far from optional.

Pezstar, what does a guy need to do to get a drink around here?

[quote name='pezstar' date='01 June 2010 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1275365958' post='2318649']
Personally, I really, really hated Z'ha'dum.
[/quote]
This was presumably due to his encyclopedic knowledge of his allies and deep grasp of foreign affairs on Bob, right?

Hmm. Wait, it might be something more like this.

[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/1/7/633669379305043824-Goofball.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Wad of Lint' date='02 June 2010 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1275504245' post='2320687']
If you understand much about either of us surely you know our relationship is pretty far from optional.Pezstar, what does a guy need to do to get a drink around here?
[/quote]

Hell if I know. If you find some, bring one to me.

[quote name='KainIIIC' date='02 June 2010 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1275504704' post='2320695']
Where the heck has Tyga been? I miss some of his posts on the OWF. (oh, and cue twinkie joke) And on that note, where's HeinousOne?
[/quote]

He's being thoroughly eaten up by the other realm right now. He has the time to be either active publicly or active within the alliance. He's being active in the alliance.

Also, I get asked about Tyga almost daily. There are actual Tyga conspiracy theories floating around. I find this to be one of the funniest things ever.

As for Heinous, I have no idea. I haven't seen him around either.

Heinous One has not been with us for quite a while. Shortly after the last conflict he quietly dissolved his nation and retired to regions unknown. While it's a bit sad, it has been good for my blood pressure.