STA June Press Conference

As many of you know, several months ago, STA did away with our diplomat corps, and instead opted to allow our members to establish and maintain embassies with whomever they wish, in an unofficial capacity. In lieu of the forced communication that is promoted in the embassy system, we started doing monthly press conferences so that folks could get honest, up front answers to any burning questions they may have about STA, our position on various situations, and whatever other topical question on their minds. Welcome to the June STA Press Conference. Feel free to ask what you'd like. Thank you for stopping by.

[quote name='Husker' date='31 May 2010 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1275363713' post='2318586']
What do you think about a Siberian Tiger versus a Siberian Whale?
[/quote]

There is no such thing as a Siberian Whale, unless you count Tyga. We know this from experience.

[quote name='Mathias' date='31 May 2010 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1275363803' post='2318590']
Are you enjoying the absence of forum diplomacy in your lives? What happened with that tiny alliance no one heard about that was attacking your member or some shenanigans along those lines?
[/quote]

Yes, I like this method. It wouldn't work for most alliances, especially larger ones, or smaller ones who are newer, but we're the right size and age that it does the trick for us. Plus, real diplomacy never happens via diplomat anymore. (Did it ever, though? I can't really remember it happening, but I could be wrong.) It's all via IRC and real time communication.

We never touched Awkward Zombie, but we did send someone to attack the nation that was attacking our cadet. The attacks are ongoing.

[quote name='pezstar' date='31 May 2010 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1275364421' post='2318610']
Yes, I like this method. It wouldn't work for most alliances, especially larger ones, or smaller ones who are newer, but we're the right size and age that it does the trick for us. Plus, real diplomacy never happens via diplomat anymore. (Did it ever, though? I can't really remember it happening, but I could be wrong.) It's all via IRC and real time communication.

We never touched Awkward Zombie, but we did send someone to attack the nation that was attacking our cadet. The attacks are ongoing.
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear it's working out for you. Forum diplomacy is extremely useless, except to allow newer, non-IRC using members to get to know other alliances.

And good luck with Awkward Zombie. Hopefully the situation gets resolved without further intervention on your part, or you'll probably have to listen to people complain.

[quote name='Kzoppistan' date='31 May 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1275364555' post='2318613']
Now that Zenith has merged and no longer an entity, how did you and STA feel about them?

Any interesting plans for the summer?
[/quote]

We just never knew you folks in Zenith. We fought on the same side of a few wars as you, but we never did get to know you.

This summer, we plan to ignite our very own Great War. We will do so by attacking Nueva Vida, and kidnapping Hizzy. It's going to be quite messy folks. You've been warned.

Edited by pezstar

[quote name='Mathias' date='31 May 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1275364646' post='2318616']
Forum diplomacy is extremely useless, except to allow newer, non-IRC using members to get to know other alliances. [/quote]

That's not true... I've seen forum diplomacy do great harm.

Anyway, according to your wiki, all of your treaties are MDoAP with the exception of a PIAT with TOOL. Why the discrepency?

[quote name='Sir Paul' date='01 June 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1275365296' post='2318635']
That's not true... I've seen forum diplomacy do great harm.Anyway, according to your wiki, all of your treaties are MDoAP with the exception of a PIAT with TOOL. Why the discrepency?
[/quote]

We pretty much never sign anything lower than a defensive level treaty. In the case of TOOL, we'd been talking about getting to know each other better and moving that relationship forward for literally a year and a half, but we just never did. We both decided to go ahead and move forward, but each side was a little bit cautious because we're more or less on opposite sides of the treaty web, and we wanted to sort of ease into it a bit and get more comfortable with a defensive treaty. So we went with a PIAT.

[quote name='mythicknight' date='01 June 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1275365297' post='2318636']
Who do you hate the most?
[/quote]

Alliance wise? We still don't like Valhalla much. We hate them less than we used to, though. As far as individuals are concerned STA as a whole doesn't hate anyone. We still make fun of noWedge occasionally, if that counts. Personally, I really, really hated Z'ha'dum.

[quote name='Dementual' date='01 June 2010 - 12:33 AM' timestamp='1275366801' post='2318668']
In three words, describe the emotional bond between siberia and tigers.
[/quote]

I was going to say "Fur is awesome." But then I thought people might think I'm a furry, and I just can't have that. So instead, I'll say "I hate cold."

[quote name='JackSkellington' date='01 June 2010 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1275367546' post='2318687']
How much do you look forward to making one of these each month?
[/quote]

Sometimes I remember. Sometimes I have to be reminded. I wouldn't say I "look forward" to it so much as "Oh, it's the 1st, time to post it."

[size="1"]I'm a gal who loves to hear herself talk.[/size]
[quote name='Jrenster' date='01 June 2010 - 12:51 AM' timestamp='1275367874' post='2318693']
Where do baby tigers come from?
[/quote]

Sometimes it seems like we all came from Legion. :P

[quote name='Yggdrazil' date='01 June 2010 - 12:51 AM' timestamp='1275367876' post='2318694']
The \m/bola (my favorite name for the \M//Polar conflict) war found your alliance pretty much along against your opponents.Have steps been taken to shore up this hazard.
[/quote]

No way. We reviewed our treaties afterward and didn't change anything. We were going to cancel the Vanguard one, but they merged into MK, so that never happened. We didn't agree with NpO, but you look out for your best friend even when they do something dumb. Fighting alongside people we'd never been near was a completely foreign experience, and it was pretty darn fun. Most folks on our side of the treaty web had experienced just how stubborn and independent STA is in a Coalition War channel, and the other side got to see us like that too. We met new folks, liked some of them, and even changed our opinions of one or two of them as a result.

I guess my point is that we're going to go where our treaties (and friends in the case of NSO) take us, and if that's inconvenient, too bad.

[quote name='Geoffron X' date='01 June 2010 - 01:00 AM' timestamp='1275368435' post='2318707']
How many Siberian Tigers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
[/quote]

Hell if I know. It's still dark in our fortress, and we've got 134 members and 8 cadets.

Edited by pezstar

How do you think STA activity levels stack up to other alliances over all, and in IRC, forums, and OWF activity?

How do you feel about ex-heg alliances in general?

Does STA allow tech raiding? If so, whats the tl;dr version of your rules for raiding?

Have your answers in these press conferences ever gotten you into trouble?

Are you going to read the MC-XAminer when it comes out?

[quote name='JackSkellington' date='01 June 2010 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1275369708' post='2318763']
I appreciate honesty just as much, if not more than anybody. Would you say your alliance feels the same towards you apparent bluntness(Assuming you carry the same honesty with any situation)?
[/quote]

Yeah. We don't play the politics game very well. I am not good at veiled anything, and I think it just takes up more time that could be better spent actually solving the problem at hand. The government of the STA takes the same approach internally. We're upfront with our membership when there's something going on, and I think it's appreciated.

If anything, we think things should be MORE public. The whole "Private channels FTW" thing is great for things in which several alliances need to participate, but for matters between just a couple of alliances? There's no reason people who are interested shouldn't be able to watch the diplomatic process. Newbies can learn from it, and folks who have been around for awhile can see how other people do things.

[quote name='wickedj' date='01 June 2010 - 01:23 AM' timestamp='1275369791' post='2318768']
Can i come over for dinner?
[/quote]

Only if you cook it.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='01 June 2010 - 01:35 AM' timestamp='1275370538' post='2318793']
How do you think STA activity levels stack up to other alliances over all, and in IRC, forums, and OWF activity? How do you feel about ex-heg alliances in general?Does STA allow tech raiding? If so, whats the tl;dr version of your rules for raiding?Have your answers in these press conferences ever gotten you into trouble?Are you going to read the MC-XAminer when it comes out?
[/quote]

I hate that we are not more IRC active. We have a core group on IRC, and it doesn't seem to change much. Our forums are pretty darn active. The only alliances I've been in are STA and Legion. I was in Legion before the NPO takeover, and back then, it was an alliance that was very internal, and very wrapped up in their own internal politics. Moreso than international politics, even. So they were way more active than STA, but I think most democratic alliances are. I have a bit of experience on MK's forum, and those guys are CONSTANTLY posting. We're middle of the road. There's a fair amount of forum activity. I'd say around 40 posts a day, more if there's an interesting topic, less if it's just slow.

We don't tend to look at an alliance and say "Oh, they're allied to so and so, screw them." We look at their actions and their experiences. For example, NPO has a clean slate as far as we're concerned. They paid for their crimes, and they get a chance to start over. We don't much care for Sparta, and they're on our side of the web now. Their ridiculous and completely unfounded rep extortion in the last war showed us that they are bullies and think they are entitled to things they don't deserve. So it's definitely an individual thing, rather than a "Screw, them, they like so and so" thing for us.

We do allow tech raiding. Our members can't raid anyone with anything other than "none" in their AA or anyone on the white team. They have to take and pass an exam to get a license to raid. If they get into trouble in a tech raid, they're on their own. We don't bail them out. Only ground attacks.

Neither I or the STA as a whole has gotten in trouble for anything posted in the press conferences. We're honest in them, so if folks have a problem with the truth, it's their problem, not ours as far as we're concerned. No one has ever said anything to us about it though.

I read everything posted on these forums.

[quote name='JackSkellington' date='01 June 2010 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1275372093' post='2318835']
Don't ask the question if you aren't prepared for the answer.

Have you always been a strictly honest person or did you eventually grow into it?
[/quote]

I think I just lost the patience for crap.