To anyone who ever made an account on the RIA forums

Thunder Strike

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, getting angry at people or yelling at them won't help. Hell, if anything, you're kinda asking for it. And looking at your AAs, and then looking at mine, I'd *really* prefer you stop asking for it.

[quote name='TheNeverender' date='04 March 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1267681544' post='2213453']
You know, getting angry at people or yelling at them won't help. Hell, if anything, you're kinda asking for it. And looking at your AAs, and then looking at mine, I'd *really* prefer you stop asking for it.
[/quote]

Especially since they said they were switching, and one poster even claimed that SMF had been hacked.

[quote name='Ryuzaki' date='04 March 2010 - 12:51 AM' timestamp='1267682099' post='2213464']
Just to check, this is the same person as the other incidents?
[/quote]
Most probably, Glad UPN forums were upgraded. Hopefully nothing will come towards us :)

Also RIA :(

[quote name='Fireandthepassion' date='04 March 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1267686377' post='2213511']
Which means your root might want to scan for keyloggers, or not use the same password.
[/quote]

We found out that the passwords were compromised after we moved over so now all the old vulnerable passwords are active on the SMF version. We've pretty much locked the boards down for now and will figure out our next step once out tech guys get on tomorrow.

I would do something but I'm a noob at this kind of stuff.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='04 March 2010 - 02:14 AM' timestamp='1267687070' post='2213524']
Bah. Forum progs should always use a one-way hash for the password encoding, two-way hashes are useless.
[/quote]

Technically MD5 is a one way encryption, but passwords are so short that they can be compared to another encrypted test password to see if it's a match.

Edited by Tilton53

[quote name='Aeternalis' date='04 March 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1267679218' post='2213398']
someone hates the superfriends.
[/quote]
Bah, beat me to it :(

[quote name='Tilton53' date='04 March 2010 - 01:22 AM' timestamp='1267687548' post='2213533']
Technically MD5 is a one way encryption, but passwords are so short that they can be compared to another encrypted test password to see if it's a match.
[/quote]
Which is why dictionary passwords are fail.

It's entirely possible the hacker is doing this just to teach everyone a lesson on security, which I still do not condone. "Protect yourselves from people like me." is a disgusting, mafia-esque mentality, however realistic, and a benevolent person has many equally effective, less violent ways to accomplish this.

But in all likelihood the hacker is trying to ruin our fun, in which case oh well, we do what we must.

[quote name='Zoomzoomzoom' date='04 March 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1267736045' post='2213966']
I feel compelled to find out every forum on CN I have registered my name and ask the respective alliances to delete it.
[/quote]

^ this. If you forum admins see my nick, please delete my account (with the exception of FOK and iFOK).