Karma for Sparta

Alterego

607 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh dear,
So I was strolling along the forums, minding my own business, enjoying my favourite snack, trollbait, when I stumbled across an [u]incredibly well reasoned and completely [b]not[/b]-retarded[/u] thread! Naturally I got excited, and I decided to swoop in for a closer look at this incredibly relevant piece of propaganda mastery. I couldn't help but notice, as I read, that alot of my fellow citizens had posted opinions of their own, absolutely none of which were of a generally poor quality and lacking in evidence. Then it dawned on me; could they be right? After all, their comments were so profound, so fresh, so undeniably justified! I examined their claims carefully: according to my beloved fellow bobians, Sparta had attained the status of a new NPO, and was drawing many similar criticisms in this tide of post-war sore-losery. Sparta, they cried, was a hegemonic uncaring monster that compulsively sought to side themselves with the powers that be, that lacked any and all military capacity, and that vindictively sought the destruction of it's opponents with reparations. This, I declared to myself, was perfect truth, after all, Sparta had sacrificed a mere 5 million nation strength in defense of Complaints and Grievances, a pittance, and had further curried my disdain by engaging only the weakest alliances they could find; IRON and TOP, the latter of which had absolutely no reputation at all, nor did they have a massive statistical advantage in the aforementioned war. These facts, to me, were clear proof of Sparta's cowardice and complete lack of martial skill; they had merely been carried through this war by their downtrodden allies, who were, as I now rightly believed, a meatshield toward which Sparta had cleverly diverted their primary opponents. This question of ruthless destruction, too, made perfect sense: Sparta had, after all, belligerently come in to this war with absolutely no justification when their MDoAP'd allies in C&G were attacked for a very legitimate but mysteriously unstated reason by a pair of alliances who had not sought the outright destruction of Sparta herself in plain language. Though TOP and IRON had, themselves, given no real justification for brutally attacking C&G... I reasoned that C&G must have done something to merit these attacks, since TOP and IRON were such reputable gentlemen, and were therefore guilty and deserving of those attacks. I concluded, too, that Sparta's use of multiple MDoAPs to come to the defense of her so called allies were illegitimate, as these treaties had been entered in to in good faith long before the conflict happened, and therefore were clearly not relevant to the current conflict. Here I stopped to briefly to scoff at Sparta's nerve to 'honour' a treaty, as my new friends had so poigniantly pointed out, Sparta is an alliance incapable of both honour and friendship, and therefore 'honouring' a treaty is completely anathema to them. After having ascertained that Sparta had not entered this war on legitimate terms in defense of her so called 'allies' on the 'defensive' side of the war (the only condition that would have changed my mind about their deserving reparations), I moved on to the question of the reparations themselves. "THIS", I furiously declared, slamming my hand on the keyboard, "IS AN OUTRAGE!": how dare Sparta require reparations to rebuild their war-torn nations from entirely justified aggressive attacks by their opponents! "IN WHAT WORLD", I shouted, "DOES THE VICTOR HAVE THE RIGHT TO THE SPOILS OF WAR!?! WHAT KIND OF PERSON LOOKS OUT FOR THE WELL BEING OF THEIR OWN ALLIANCE BEFORE THAT OF THEIR ENEMIES?!? AND WHAT KIND OF HUMAN BEING IMPOSES A PENALTY FOR ILLEGAL OR INAPPROPRIATE ACTIONS!??!". I paused for thought... if anything, Sparta should be paying reparations to TOP and IRON for the destruction they caused! After all, reparations are designed to compensate for aggressive and destructive attacks, and had not Sparta fought back when TOOL and Legion and the like leapt in to the war to attack Sparta without stating any legitimate cause (though I firmly believed there was one, a belief made all the stronger for the lack of evidence--evidence so precious it must be hidden lest it fall prey to propagandists and the like)? Sparta, indeed, had become the new NPO, a heartless beast with no regard for it's allies, no martial or political skill, and one that sought to be compensated handsomly for it's losses in war. This, I thought sadly, was not an alliance I could live with.

Having seen the error of our ways, and knowing that I could never live the shame that I had so rightly been planted deep in my toned, tanned, and ripplingly well defined chest, I trudged back to Sparta to hand in my resignation as Minister of Foreign Affairs--how could I be expected to be the face of such evil in Cybernations?

...and then it dawned on me! Perhaps, I thought, evil is not an absolute... what is a good to one may be an evil to another by virtue of conflicting personal interests.

I paused.

Slowly but surely a smile broke across my face... perhaps... perhaps I could live with this. Maybe being evil wasn't so bad after all.

...and so my dear detractors, my beloved trolls, and staunch anti-Spartan opponents, I thank you. I am deeply indebted to you all, and to this wonderful thread, for this deeply spiritual and intensely personal revelation.
Love and Regards,
Johan Olaf Styke, Ephor of Foreign Affairs

Edited by Olaf Styke

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Olaf Styke' date='28 February 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1267403561' post='2209088']
Oh dear,
So I was strolling along the forums, minding my own business, enjoying my favourite snack, trollbait, when I stumbled across an [u]incredibly well reasoned and completely non-retarded[/u] thread! Naturally I got excited, and decided to swoop in for a closer look at this incredibly relevant piece of propaganda mastery. I couldn't help but notice as I read, that alot of my fellow citizens had posted opinions of their own, absolutely none of which were of a generally poor quality and lacking in evidence. Then it dawned on me; could they be right? After all, their comments were so profound, so fresh, so undeniably justified! I examined their claims carefully: according to my beloved fellow bobians, Sparta had attained the status of a new NPO, and was drawing many similar criticisms in this tide of post-war sore-losery. Sparta, they cried, was a hegemonic uncaring monster that compulsively sought to side themselves with the powers that be, that lacked any and all military capacity, and that vindictively sought the destruction of it's opponents with reparations. This, I declared to myself, was perfect truth, after all, Sparta had sacrificed a mere 5 million nation strength in defense of Complaints and Grievances, a pittance, and had further curried my disdain by engaging only the weakest alliances they could find; IRON and TOP, the latter of which had absolutely no reputation at all, nor did they have a massive statistical advantage in the aforementioned war. These facts, to me, were clear proof of Sparta's cowardice and complete lack of martial skill; they had merely been carried through by their downtrodden allies who were, as I now rightly believed, a meatshield toward which Sparta had cleverly diverted their primary opponents. This question of ruthless destruction, too, made perfect sense: Sparta had, after all, belligerently come in to this war with absolutely no justification when their MDoAP'd allies in C&G were attacked for a very legitimate but mysteriously unstated reason by a pair of alliances who had not sought the outright destruction of Sparta herself in plain language. Though TOP and IRON had, themselves, given no real justification for brutally attacking C&G... I reasoned that C&G must have done something to merit these attacks, since TOP and IRON were such reputable gentlemen, and were therefore guilty and deserving of those attacks. I concluded, too, that Sparta's use of multiple MDoAPs to come to the defense of her so called allies were illegitimate, as these treaties had been entered in to in good faith long before the conflict happened, and therefore were clearly not relevant to the current conflict. Here I stopped to briefly to scoff at Sparta's nerve to 'honour' a treaty, as my new friends had so poigniantly pointed out, Sparta is an alliance capable of both honour and friendship, and therefore 'honouring' a treaty is completely anathema to them. After having ascertained that Sparta had not entered this war on legitimate terms in defense of her so called 'allies' on the 'defensive' side of the war, I moved on to the question of reparations. "THIS", I furiously declared, slamming my hand on the keyboard, "IS AN OUTRAGE!": how dare Sparta require reparations to rebuild their war-torn nations from entirely justified aggressive attacks by their opponents! "IN WHAT WORLD", I shouted, "DOES THE VICTOR HAVE THE RIGHT TO THE SPOILS OF WAR!?! WHAT KIND OF PERSON LOOKS OUT FOR THE WELL BEING OF THEIR OWN ALLIANCE BEFORE THAT OF THEIR ENEMIES?!?". I paused for thought... if anything, Sparta should be paying reparations to TOP and IRON for the destruction they caused! After all, reparations are designed to compensate for aggressive and destructive attacks, and had not Sparta fought back when TOOL and Legion and the like leapt in to the war to attack Sparta without stating any legitimate cause (though I firmly believed there was one, a belief made all the stronger for the lack of evidence--evidence so precious it must be hidden lest it fall prey to propagandists and the like)? Sparta, indeed, had become the new NPO, a heartless beast with no regard for it's allies, no martial or political skill, and one that sought to be compensated handsomly for it's losses in war. This, I thought sadly, was not an alliance I could live with.

Having seen the error of our ways, and knowing that I could never live the shame that I had so rightly been planted deep in my toned, tanned, and ripplingly well defined chest, I trudged back to Sparta to hand in my resignation as Minister of Foreign Affairs--how could I be expected to be the face of such evil in Cybernations?

...and then it dawned on me! Perhaps, I thought, evil is not an absolute... what is a good to one may be an evil to another by virtue of conflicting personal interests.

I paused.

Slowly but surely a smile broke across my face... perhaps... perhaps I could live with this. Maybe being evil wasn't so bad after all.

...and so my dear detractors, my beloved trolls, and staunch anti-Spartan opponents, I thank you. I am deeply indebted to you all, and to this wonderful thread, for this deeply spiritual and intensely personal revelation.
Love and Regards,
Johan Olaf Styke, Ephor of Foreign Affairs
[/quote]

You lost me at the end there, but man was it a fun read.

[quote name='Olaf Styke' date='01 March 2010 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1267403561' post='2209088']
...and then it dawned on me! Perhaps, I thought, evil is not an absolute... what is a good to one may be an evil to another by virtue of conflicting personal interests.[/quote]
Shhh. If people listen to this heresy, the OWF will become little better than a tea party. Who would want to swap vitriol for small talk?

[quote name='Bush_84' date='28 February 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1267400558' post='2209011']
I don't understand how all of a sudden we are rep mongers. We have never been big for demanding reps, but you have to look at the two alliances we received reps from. TOOL attacked us, which wouldn't have been that big of a deal. Ya they were just following their treaties, as we all are. On the other hand this is the second time they have [b]offensively attacked us [/b]in a relatively short amount of CN time. Fool me once, ok fine. Fool me twice? Ya won't happen.

I don't have any authority on the matter, but that's my take on it.
[/quote]
Actually, TOOL attacked Dark Templar.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=55178

Sparta attacked TOOL using an ODP.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=55351

Just clearing that up, we did not offensively declare on you twice. We offensively declared on you once.We did fight you twice, however.

You people are so wrong about Sparta. It's pretty amusing. I must say, even though I don't like saying it, If you don't like the way Sparta is doing things, then do something about it. Stop !@#$%*ing and moaning about it and make it happen. But I want you all to know that Sparta will never stand alone as long as Athens and Sparta remained allied.

It will be a while. NPO's still around with a high score, but isolated. I expect you'd see an attempt at something like the TPF-war against us in late 2010. Sparta is well-connected enough and docile enough for it to be a while before the world runs out of targets more attractive than them.

[quote name='Jgoods45' date='28 February 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1267406111' post='2209140']
You people are so wrong about Sparta. It's pretty amusing. I must say, even though I don't like saying it, If you don't like the way Sparta is doing things, [b]then do something about it[/b]. Stop !@#$%*ing and moaning about it and make it happen. But I want you all to know that Sparta will never stand alone as long as Athens and Sparta remained allied.
[/quote]
I thought you were banned from using those words in that sequence in that context. What would Londo say? :v Also, no one actually cares enough about Sparta. They're just meh.

[quote name='Jgoods45' date='28 February 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1267406111' post='2209140']
You people are so wrong about Sparta. It's pretty amusing. I must say, even though I don't like saying it, If you don't like the way Sparta is doing things, then do something about it. Stop !@#$%*ing and moaning about it and make it happen.[/quote]
I've heard this before. Also, didn't Athens ban "Do something about it!" as a response after the KoN incident?

EDIT:
[quote name='Londo Mollari' date='14 November 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1258259194' post='1970199']
[center][img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/cybernations/images/3/32/Athens_flag.jpg[/img][/center]

From now on, Athens members are forbidden to use the appeal to force in discourse on these venues. This essentially means that saying "bring it" or "do something about it" will not be tolerated as a means of communication. Violations of this which are brought to my attention will result in a 1 month posting ban on the OWF. Violations of the posting ban will result in expulsion.

We are doing this in an effort to improve the quality of discourse in this venue, and it is our hope that all alliances will similarly restrain themselves. Actual discussions are better than threats the vast majority of the time, and we are going to do our part to improve the standard of discourse here.

Thanks.
[/quote]
Enjoy your posting ban? :smug:

[quote]But I want you all to know that Sparta will never stand alone as long as Athens and Sparta remained allied.
[/quote]
If the post-war climate turns out that the Superfriends side is bigger than yours, not only will Sparta be the ones leaving YOU in the dust, they'll probably be actively railing against your previous activities in support of their chosen friends.

Edited by bigwoody

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' date='28 February 2010 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1267406612' post='2209147']
I suspect that Sparta will flip sides a few more times then they will flip one too many times and diplomatically isolate themselves and leave themselves open to attack from all the alliances that ticked off.
[/quote]

Like...

NpO?

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' date='28 February 2010 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1267406612' post='2209147']
I suspect that Sparta will flip sides a few more times then they will flip one too many times and diplomatically isolate themselves and leave themselves open to attack from all the alliances that ticked off.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, but I don't think we'll be taking a page out of your playbook anytime soon.

[quote name='Darklink7748' date='28 February 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1267407095' post='2209157']
I'm sorry, but I don't think we'll be taking a page out of your playbook anytime soon.
[/quote]
I don't think anyone is going to do something as dumb as what Polar did ever again. But you'll happily swap sides out of war if you see a path to the winning side.

This thread has shown me the light regarding Sparta, because as we all know [b]forum polls are law.[/b]

So: Good job, Sparta. Keep mercilessly oppressing the helots, it's not like they're good for anything else.
[size="1"]
(Yes, this is sarcasm for all you slow folks out there.)[/size]

[quote name='bigwoody' date='28 February 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1267407267' post='2209160']
I don't think anyone is going to do something as dumb as what Polar did ever again. But you'll happily swap sides out of war if you see a path to the winning side.
[/quote]

Like...

NpO?

[quote name='Zoomzoomzoom' date='28 February 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1267397562' post='2208928']
Sparta will get closer to SF in coming months. SF will take advantage of this and just use them as meat shields in the next great war.

That's my prediction.
[/quote]

Sparta is already on good terms with, or directlty allied to, most of SF.

I'd never allow them into our circle o' awesome, though. They are evil, oppressive, and have been forever tainted due to being the subject of an Alterego poll. :awesome:

[quote name='Believland' date='28 February 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1267407705' post='2209173']
Olaf, what happened to Sethly?
[/quote]

Our dear Sethly needed some time off, he resigned a month or so ago, and FA has been my department since shortly before the war started. You'll be glad to hear Seth is back now, though, and has taken up an Eldership in FA. I'm afraid you'll have to put up with me from now on. :P

[quote name='King Louis the II' date='28 February 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1267388106' post='2208707']
I really tought that you were someone that used logic. I really did. You have all the right to hate us, and have a different oppinion. However, to talk crap about Sparta military is just plain delusional. If you prefer to live your own fantasy it is your right to do so. However, if yoiu are really interested to know the truth try to learn about Sparta accomplishments during this war. Ask TOP top tier about their fights against us. Ask Liquid mercury, ask Extremerely Average. Ask most of IRON fighters.

Take a look at rankings and see how we did after fighting TOP/IRON/Legion/TOOL/OMFG.

I have read many of your postings and I really liked many of them (specially your peaceful phase). It is really disapointing to see that you become delusional.

If you want to say crap against us is your right. However to say lies just will make you a clown.
[/quote]

Again, just because your ALLIES were superior, does not mean that YOU were. I fought sparta during the ujw, and we were told afterwards to say what great fighters you all were, when in private we were laughing about how piss poor you fought, and how utterly and completely unprepared you were. That was two years ago, and you know what's changed since then? From what I've been seeing, and from what I've been hearing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

All I said was, if you haven't fixed your problems in two years, then you guys shouldn't be calling people out like that. As it stands right now, I would take ANY top 30 alliance over Sparta in a 1 on 1 fight, because, again, your allies being superior does not mean that you are a superior fighting force. What it does mean, is that you guys know how to pick a winner.

Y'all should go bet on horses, is what you should do. Leave the fighting to people who don't just pretend to know what they're doing.

[quote name='Olaf Styke' date='28 February 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1267408037' post='2209184']
Our dear Sethly needed some time off, he resigned a month or so ago, and FA has been my department since shortly before the war started. You'll be glad to hear Seth is back now, though, and has taken up an Eldership in FA. I'm afraid you'll have to put up with me from now on. :P
[/quote]
Ah. I must have missed that. Tell him I said hey, and you guys should be good. you're a pretty funny dude yourself.