RoK Forums Hacked

Van Hoo III

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ratonbox' date='28 February 2010 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1267351981' post='2208084']
There was a warning about updating forums on this forum. Too bad for you that you didn't upgrade when everybody announced the hackings and possible exploits here. You should have payed more attention. And as a recommendation, use vBulletin, way more secure than most forums.
I really do hope that every admin will check to see if their forums need updating.
Sorry for the problem, though!
[/quote]
Why do the superior eggheads love to come down from their towers to chide people when this sort of thing happens? Thank you, daddy, now we know and knowing's half the battle. Here's one: Maybe nobody in RoK has a few hundred bucks to pony-up to switch over RIGHT NOW! and so they had to ride it out for a bit. Then of course the ever-present "X forum software [that no one uses and most have never heard of] is [i]sooooo[/i] much better anyway so it's a good thing you did get hacked maybe now you've learned your lesson and you can get a supercool [i]new[/i] forum." And I love that you edited-in the cheap "oh yeah, also sorry" as an afterthought.

I'd say "blow it out your butt, dude," but of course that's already what you're doing.

Edited by Schattenmann

[quote name='lonewolfe2015' date='28 February 2010 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1267385211' post='2208652']
Honestly... it was only a matter of time someone took a serious attempt to hack this game.
[/quote]

CN was hacked in early 2007 when the source code was leaked

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='28 February 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1267386760' post='2208681']
Why do the superior eggheads love to come down from their towers to chide people when this sort of thing happens? Thank you, daddy, now we know and knowing's half the battle. Here's one: Maybe nobody in RoK has a few hundred bucks to pony-up to switch over RIGHT NOW! and so they had to ride it out for a bit. Then of course the ever-present "X forum software [that no one uses and most have never heard of] is [i]sooooo[/i] much better anyway so it's a good thing you did get hacked maybe now you've learned your lesson and you can get a supercool [i]new[/i] forum." And I love that you edited-in the cheap "oh yeah, also sorry" as an afterthought.

I'd say "blow it out your butt, dude," but of course that's already what you're doing.
[/quote]

They could at least learn not to use pirated versions of forum software :P

[quote name='bros2' date='28 February 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1267380727' post='2208537']
This guy also is the one who DDoS'd your forums last year :P
[/quote]
:mad::mad::mad: Can do temp MDAP with RoK over this one!

I think RoK has this one handled but if anyone ever needs some help I have under-utilized webserv for temp purposes.

[quote name='Van Hoo III' date='28 February 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1267372979' post='2208351']
He doesn't like us much and is unable to set aside IC hatred for an OOC issue. ;)
[/quote]
Nope, I really don't have any problem with RoK neither IC or OOC.

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='28 February 2010 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1267386760' post='2208681']

[/quote]
I just did a recommendation. That's what I use for a pretty large community , and i've never had any problems with it.

Oh, and have a look at the time I edited the post. I just corrected some spelling mistakes. It's not like I did the editing after somebody else posted.
And I was just pointing out that there were these threads posted over here some time ago:
http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=80924&hl=forum%20exploit%20warning&st=0
You even posted on it so you should know what's about.

http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=80935&hl=forum%20exploit%20warning&st=0
Another thread about a forum being hacked.

There's another thread, but i can't seem to find it right now.
And again, I am sorry for this, because i know how awful it is to have to change all you related passwords, or make another email account, or setting up a new forum.

While I hold no love for ROK. This is a despicable act of a coward. When IRON was hacked I felt they might as well have come to my house and hit my computer with a hammer.

Good luck. Bros is a great guy.

[quote name='ratonbox' date='28 February 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1267394197' post='2208848']And again, I am sorry for this, because i know how awful it is to have to change all you related passwords, or make another email account, or setting up a new forum.[/quote]When the hackers also start messing with things completely unrelated to CN, it becomes more than a pain. No one thinks your smart comments are funny, so for all of our sakes, stop posting.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='01 March 2010 - 07:40 AM' timestamp='1267447417' post='2209842']
Pastebin has been pretty good about taking it down.
[/quote]
This. I did a search to see if I was on it and all I got was a bunch of dead links.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='01 March 2010 - 07:40 AM' timestamp='1267447417' post='2209842']
Pastebin has been pretty good about taking it down.
[/quote]
Which surprised me that they would take that down, not that im complaining

It also appears our dear Randomly Insane friends have also been subjected to the wonderful works of the one called boy

[quote name='wickedj' date='01 March 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1267482596' post='2210333']
Which surprised me that they would take that down, not that im complaining

It also appears our dear Randomly Insane friends have also been subjected to the wonderful works of the one called boy
[/quote]

Nope. They told me that one of their admins had an insecure password, and turks hacked their boards. (Turks love to hack old versions of stuff)

[quote name='bros2' date='01 March 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1267490638' post='2210536']
Nope. They told me that one of their admins had an insecure password, and turks hacked their boards. (Turks love to hack old versions of stuff)
[/quote]
"Let's trawl the internet to find old forums to hack" style? :blink:

Sounds like its time to smash my fist into my keyboard and call it a new password.

Very unfortunate ROK, and everyone else who has been hacked, I'm a little paranoid now :unsure:

[quote name='Dementual' date='01 March 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1267492941' post='2210580']
"Let's trawl the internet to find old forums to hack" style? :blink:
[/quote]

Yeah.

Seriously. It's what some groups of people do. They search google for old versions of boards related to popular things and then boom :P