How much of your RL persona makes up your CN character?

Blacky

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My CN character is nothing like me in RL how ever its hard to be involved in a game for the best pert of 3 years with out a few traits falling in from time to time.

Its far more easy to to say anything when typing on a screen yet in RL im a shy person to people i dont know.

I don't believe in CN characters. To say anyone here is 'playing a character' is laughable. This isn't a RP community.

I would say that some people may be more reserved in RL because consequences are real there whilst they are not here but nevertheless it is the same person.

So essentially, if you are an !@#$%^& on CN you are likely one in RL or you want to be one.

Nuts. I pretty much came here to say this.

I didn't consciously distinguish to be "in character", well I guess I kinda did, I started out in NS 2 and decided it'd be cool to have the mustache toting Freddie Mercury rule a nation with its national pet as the "leotard".

Though when I moved here (and quit NS 2 cuz it was a total bore), I figure it'd be too much of a hassle to actually act like the actual Freddie Mercury made all the more difficult since I honestly didn't know all that much about the man other than amazing stage persona. I still like the name though and the reactions I get some some folks :P

But yeah, I'm definitely more vuglar on the internet.

Edited by FreddieMercury

I've never really thought about this, as I don't tend to RP and don't really get it.

I started CN using whatever RL experience I had to make the best possible choices available to me at the time. As others have stated, I too have taken more risk on CN versus RL because in RL there are consequences to your actions that I consider to be much more harsh than that of CN.

I can say, that after being involved with CN for so long, that some of the CN experiences have leaked into my RL... meaning I've actually solved some RL business issues by reaching back to how a similar problem was solved by my alliance or myself. bizaar, but interested nonetheless.

It's funny because this is an RP community in the sense that you can get banned for not being In Character on the forums.

I got dinged several times for ooc in my first days here so I started to build more of a character in the IC forums. It's not a huge difference but it is there.

I speak more frankly in the OOC forums, or at least I did until people started to attribute my OOC comments to my IC alliance. Genius.

Basically this place is a frankenstein's monster of RP and non-RP and nobody is playing by the same rules. It makes it hard to have a consistent character in any particular way. Your best bet is to stick with short answer snarky posts that are ambiguous as to IC or OOC content. Or at least that seems to be the most common method of dealing with these complications.

Although it is true that there are many pent up angry nerds in RP communities, I don't think it's a universal. I am pretty combative in real life and certainly do not come off as shy. But that doesn't make me mean.

Edited by Drostan

I don't distinguish between the two. However, I don't have a nuclear arsenal in real life, so there's something. <_<

EDIT: I also don't look like Jareth the Goblin King.

Edited by Vedran

I'm more aggressive and assholeish in the game than I am in real life. More of a dick, more loyal, less likely to dig as deep as I usually would. More likely to troll :awesome:

Yeah I still don't understand why you left the Sith.......

In nearly twenty years of administering various online communities, I have learned that regardless of whatever people try to roleplay, folks usually end up turning into themselves. That jerk you met online? Probably a jerk in real life. The pathological liar? The schemer? The back-stabber? Yeah....avoid.

Then there are those who act like the person they would be if they had a spine. (see: Internet Bully)

The good news is that if you meet someone online who, over a long period of time, seems like a pretty decent, genuine person....they probably are.

(Warning: None of the above applies to sociopaths. I've had the 'pleasure' of encountering a few of those over the years.)

Oh....and me? I'm the guy the neighbors leave their keys with when they go on vacation. Take from that what you will.

I try things that I'd consider too risky in RL because I know that messing something up won't have 'real' consequences.

My early attempts to roleplay more intensely didn't last a long time; I called generals "Sir" and tried to be like a private or trainee.

In RL my home is a haven of peace and I don't get in to any 'drama' with anyone.

Here, I'd rather be at war or preparing for war.

I think it's amazingly difficult to have a completely different CN and RL persona. You can be more aggressive or argumentative in CN but the completely different characters would be for RP only and I think it would be hard not to let your own character come through outside of an RP arena.

Not all that much. I have very different political views IRL then I do in game. I try to keep things compartimentalized, though I've admitted that what happens IRL occasionally affects my character here. (Sorry Zog. P.S. Check your facebook at some point.) I'm not all that manipulative or caring about power IRL. I like being lazy. :P

Edited by Dilber

My CN character and my RL personality are quite alike. Ironically, my CN character has sort of influenced my RL personality to take on a more realpolitik approach to most things; I tend to ignore the moral rules of RL, and rationalize things much easier nowadays because of the way I act in CN.