The GMs Court

hawk11

[quote name='Mergerberger II' date='05 July 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1278379268' post='2360638']
Also, if you're successful, then you can't trace them back to me :P
[/quote]
I probably could if I had his sentence shortened, or even removed if he tells me where he got the drugs.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Voodoo Nova' date='05 July 2010 - 10:51 AM' timestamp='1278341487' post='2360254']
I agree with you on this, however, what about those people that make up security measures on the spot? Many people do not detail down to the level that you suggest people use spy attacks for, although it would be interesting if people did start doing this.

@Mael: SMH could have gone with using a SDI roll to hit you with the nukes.
[/quote]

My solution to people making of counter-spy defences is my same reaction to making up things in the middle of a war, either show me where you created this thing, or go back to the drawing board and throw your shens in the garbage where they belong.

I mean really, if they are making things up on the spot that they reasonably should have RPed beforehand (obviously people cant RP every detail for things they probably are not experts in) then just dont recognize it and move on.

Scottsman, I get what you're saying, but I also RP based on what I call a "reasonable state of assumption" meaning that if most nations of the world can and do have it, unless stated otherwise, most nations will.

For example, I don't force people to RP coastal patrols to stop drug smugglers and would assume they're there and that they have to be gotten past via RP because I can think of very few actual nations that do not have some form of coast guard. Even most third world nations have cost guards. The only exceptions I can really think of are Somalia for example.. where the smugglers ARE the coast guard, LOL.

I consider it part of the domestic police force. If we're going to start forcing people to RP police.. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my commitment to CNRP, lol.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

[quote name='Maelstrom Vortex' date='06 July 2010 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1278391739' post='2360813']
Scottsman, I get what you're saying, but I also RP based on what I call a "reasonable state of assumption" meaning that if most nations of the world can and do have it, unless stated otherwise, most nations will.

For example, I don't force people to RP coastal patrols to stop drug smugglers and would assume they're there and that they have to be gotten past via RP because I can think of very few actual nations that do not have some form of coast guard. Even most third world nations have cost guards. The only exceptions I can really think of are Somalia for example.. where the smugglers ARE the coast guard, LOL.

I consider it part of the domestic police force. If we're going to start forcing people to RP police.. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my commitment to CNRP, lol.
[/quote]

And dont get me wrong, I entirely agree with you. I like to believe that many things in RP can be done with common sense and that we can assume that all countries have customs police, flight itineraries, border patrol etc unless they say otherwise. If someone starts to say that, no your spy operation fails because I have CCTV cameras on every street corner (abnormal in RL) and this is the first time this has come up in RP, then thats ridiculous and they need to go back and try harder.

I agree, if I have to start detailing out every small aspect of the goings on in my nation, Ill be right behind you in heading towards the exit.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' date='06 July 2010 - 03:07 AM' timestamp='1278400009' post='2360952']
Street cameras on every corner isn't entirely implausible. From what I gather that is about par for the course in London. However, I see the point you are making and I agree with it completely.
[/quote]

Not just London. Lots of places here in the states have all kinds if cameras around intersections and such. Big Brother is watching. Lol

[quote name='DeSchaine' date='06 July 2010 - 09:46 AM' timestamp='1278431195' post='2361137']
Not just London. Lots of places here in the states have all kinds if cameras around intersections and such. Big Brother is watching. Lol
[/quote]

Where I live they had to shut those off because they violated due process or something.

[quote name='JerreyRough' date='06 July 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1278437923' post='2361232']
What happened to the GM Court being a no-discussion area? Isn't stuff like this supposed to be discussed in either another thread or the OOC thread?
[/quote]

Please continue to discuss within a no-discussion area.

Also, since no one has responded in the Technology Thread, what is this community's stance on neutron flux missiles like the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIM-49_Spartan"]Spartan[/url] or the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie"]Genie[/url]?

[quote name='Executive Minister' date='06 July 2010 - 01:47 PM' timestamp='1278438427' post='2361240']
Please continue to discuss within a no-discussion area.

Also, since no one has responded in the Technology Thread, what is this community's stance on neutron flux missiles like the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIM-49_Spartan"]Spartan[/url] or the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie"]Genie[/url]?
[/quote]

Since they were used and tested in RL you can certainly use them yourself I would think. The only issue I would see is that it would probably be counted under your nuke cap (which is stupid for tactical nuclear weapons imo) which has always deterred people from developing weapons like the Spartan or the Davy Crockett in CNRP.

[quote name='The Flying Scotsman' date='06 July 2010 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1278440496' post='2361275']
Since they were used and tested in RL you can certainly use them yourself I would think. The only issue I would see is that it would probably be counted under your nuke cap (which is stupid for tactical nuclear weapons imo) which has always deterred people from developing weapons like the Spartan or the Davy Crockett in CNRP.
[/quote]

But the Spartan was a component of the ABM system they had going... it wasn't an offensive weapon, per se...

[quote name='Mergerberger II' date='05 July 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1278382037' post='2360689']
They're not that weak.
[/quote]
So, you automatically get past his security, no matter how tight it is, and he automatically CANNOT trace your guys...no, this is RP...there has to be a give and take.

[quote name='DeSchaine' date='06 July 2010 - 08:46 AM' timestamp='1278431195' post='2361137']
[/quote]
heheh, lol

[quote name='Subtleknifewielder' date='06 July 2010 - 05:15 PM' timestamp='1278450900' post='2361482']
So, you automatically get past his security, no matter how tight it is, and he automatically CANNOT trace your guys...no, this is RP...there has to be a give and take.
[/quote]

Yes, because that is how CNRP works. And he is a government spy, trained specifically to never get caught and never reveal his identity, therefore:

[quote=Shatner]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]To be fair, would you expect a spy to give away where he was from just to get a lighter sentence? No chance. In all probability he would die first.[/quote][/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]This.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Shatner' date='07 July 2010 - 03:07 AM' timestamp='1278452234' post='2361509']
To be fair, would you expect a spy to give away where he was from just to get a lighter sentence? No chance. In all probability he would die first.
[/quote]

The myth of espionage agents preferring to die rather than being caught is .... just a myth.

[quote name='Mergerberger II' date='07 July 2010 - 03:40 AM' timestamp='1278454187' post='2361554']
Yes, because that is how CNRP works. And he is a government spy, trained specifically to never get caught and never reveal his identity
[/quote]

Yes, and that "working" is being argued to be stupid here. Also there are umpteen ways by which espionage agents can be caught and even more ways by which a caught person's identity can be revealed, dead or alive. Forensic FTW!

I bet the spy(ies) would start to blab, at least some information, if they started fearing for their life. Lighter sentences? Most likely not, but it depends on how advanced the nation is - would the spy(ies) feel that they had a decent chance of being exchanged/released/paroled because the nation they come from has bargaining clout (ie: first world nation) or would it be more beneficial for the spy to strike a deal with his captors so that he(or she) does not have to return to his(or her) home country where the is a very good chance the spy would be killed simply for failing the mission?

In short, there is a lot of factors to consider and a simple answer of "No chance" will not suffice.

Matters what kind of spy. There are those you recruit from the nation itself, then there are special forces guys who you sent in yourself who are in it for their country/ideology and not in it for money like most spies.

Speaking of which, I asked before on MSN but I am iffy about these things, do I need to post how my special forces are organized specifically in my factbook, or can I simply show that it's already written out in detail to a GM and have them make sure I don't just pull stuff out of my $@!?

[quote name='BaronUberstein' date='07 July 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1278489197' post='2362254']
Matters what kind of spy. There are those you recruit from the nation itself, then there are special forces guys who you sent in yourself who are in it for their country/ideology and not in it for money like most spies.

Speaking of which, I asked before on MSN but I am iffy about these things, do I need to post how my special forces are organized specifically in my factbook, or can I simply show that it's already written out in detail to a GM and have them make sure I don't just pull stuff out of my $@!?
[/quote]
Um...it's always been agreed on that you need to show (or at least tell about) something for it to be 'real,' at least for something really important. Not sure if specific organization/formation of your forces counts in that.