A Pact in Faith, For the People, By the People

WarriorConcept

Support, by definition, requires that you offer assistance to whichever organization, person or cause you wish to promote. By being a member of an alliance, you are supporting only the alliance. You are not, inherently, supporting all of its policies and/or ideological beliefs. You can plausibly, but you don't necessarily. Further, it is not as if "stone" is unchangeable. It might be difficult to alter, and I will attest to that certainly, but it's far from impossible. Were one to leave an alliance because of their ZI policies, they would almost irrefutably be giving up on the idea of changing those policies from within the alliance.

If you were ordered to declare war on a nation who's only crime is being on an Eternal ZI list, would you do it? I'd assume yes, or you wouldn't be where you are. In which case you are supporting the practice of E-ZI. And even if you aren't actively engaged in it all the time, your mere presence grants strength to your alliance, which allows it to pursue policies that would be otherwise impossible. Ever see a 100k NS alliance with an E-ZI list?

As for things that are set in stone being changeable, I suppose if you were really determined you could stay in your alliance for months and climb your way up the ladder until you had the authority to change policy, but if you cared that much, why wouldn't you leave for an alliance that already shares your views?

edit: shouldn't this be in World Affairs?

"As long as it's related to alliance-driven politics, it's in-character and it's not an Alliance Announcement -- it goes [in World Affairs]."

All of the above apply.

Edited by Lord Brendan

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you go to war with MK?

EDIT: Or GR, most probably.

No. I did not have a nation at the time. :v:

If you were ordered to declare war on a nation who's only crime is being on an Eternal ZI list, would you do it? I'd assume yes, or you wouldn't be where you are. In which case you are supporting the practice of E-ZI. And even if you aren't actively engaged in it all the time, your mere presence grants strength to your alliance, which allows it to pursue policies that would be otherwise impossible. Ever see a 100k NS alliance with an E-ZI list?

If was ordered to declare war, then I probably would. That would not, however, mean that I support the reasoning behind the war. There's a difference however subtle it may be. That said, the circumstance you've provided for is a logical strawman. I could state that because you seem to think that an individual cannot support a cause which their alliance does not, that you think individuals at large aren't capable of thinking on their own, and then by extension apply that line of thinking to your alliance. Of course, that's a stupid and completely absurd assertion.

By being a member of an alliance, you are supporting nothing but the alliance. You are not inherently supporting or representing its policies or its individuals, as conversely that would mean that the individual must represent their alliance.

With that said, I'll quit cluttering this thread now. I don't think it's the proper place for this sort of debate.

If was ordered to declare war, then I probably would. That would not, however, mean that I support the reasoning behind the war. There's a difference however subtle it may be. That said, the circumstance you've provided for is a logical strawman. I could state that because you seem to think that an individual cannot support a cause which their alliance does not, that you think individuals at large aren't capable of thinking on their own, and then by extension apply that line of thinking to your alliance. Of course, that's a stupid and completely absurd assertion.

By being a member of an alliance, you are supporting nothing but the alliance. You are not inherently supporting or representing its policies or its individuals, as conversely that would mean that the individual must represent their alliance.

With that said, I'll quit cluttering this thread now. I don't think it's the proper place for this sort of debate.

When you are a member of an alliance, you support its policies with your presence. Now, there are different degrees to this: you can give a policy your complete and absolute support, you can be neutral on the issue, or you can disagree with the policy - but not enough to make you leave. But in any case, as previously stated, your mere presence helps to enable the policy, and by remaining in the alliance you support it.

Individuals are capable of thinking for themselves, and I'll never say otherwise. And just because an alliance represents the individuals it contains, doesn't mean the opposite is true.

I guess this will be my last reply here then - debating with yourself is never very fun! :P I always lose, anyway.

Question: Would you let a rerolled nation who had been convicted of spying on you in his past nation back into your alliance? Even though he's a new personality and all isn't there an awful security risk?

I very much agree with the spirit of the document, but I'm honestly not sure of my answer to the above question.

Question: Would you let a rerolled nation who had been convicted of spying on you in his past nation back into your alliance? Even though he's a new personality and all isn't there an awful security risk?

I very much agree with the spirit of the document, but I'm honestly not sure of my answer to the above question.

We at The Brain wouldn't as a matter of fact we had a similar situation arise, not spying however we deemed him a risk to our security, he then created a new using the same name.. dumb IMHO, however he was free to roam the planet as he saw fit with the exception of our home.

We at The Brain wouldn't as a matter of fact we had a similar situation arise, not spying however we deemed him a risk to our security, he then created a new using the same name.. dumb IMHO, however he was free to roam the planet as he saw fit with the exception of our home.

If that is the case with this document, then I will gladly sign it.