Plea to all CN players

stockhunter

When the alliance has 50 members and couldn't find a more reasoned person than you to put in high government, I could see where that impression could be fostered.

You quoted a post in which no one said that and then are running with it based on one habitual !@#$poster !@#$posting.

My true is problem, is the people of MI6 shitting on me, I mean they could find something better to do. I mean, all I want is to nor be berated by an alliance, oh yeah, must be fun to make fun of another person. Look at their mistakes and then laugh at them, find something better to do with your time, you gain nothing from it. I can agree with you that I might not have been the best person for the job in NSF, but, I think that it could have been a whole lot worse, and NSF has had some more unfavorable Regents than I.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember long ago, Chairmen Hal saying CN is here to provide you something your graphic card can’t, that was years ago before hardware has advance the way it has, hell Forza just came out (I’m on 5 by the way via the Xbox one) point being CN allowed joe six pack and soccer mom (The days of Sister Midnight) to possibly run the most powerful alliance on the globe and live out fantasies that were reserved for sycophants like Karl Rove

Today, no matter if you’re a liberal, conservative, libertarian, Marxist, jihadist or plain old anarchist the world is so screwed up you don’t have to pretend anymore, you’ll have no problem finding a RL organization to fill that void.

Political activism is at an all-time high globally, the real movers and shakers of the past here in CN look around their world and my guess find this one juvenile.

I know I do, I’m here a long time, I can remember reading threads Ivan would create, have the whole planet hating his guts and everyone saying ( Who does the MFER think he is he’s got to go! )

That’s what the planets missing a universal bad guy everyone hates and are too afraid to do anything about it.  

Then again I’m old and according to some senile, so take this post with a grain of salt 

I really think that micros are the only thing making the game interesting right now.

Most of the major alliances' activities seem scripted -- who hasn't predicted the last 5 major wars, down to whose side who's alliance will be on?  Sure, there is some political intrigue, but always based on short-term political gain.

Micro-driven wars are better.  A week before we fought Kashmir, I had NO IDEA I'd ever fight Kashmir.  MONTHS before Disorder, we all saw the sides drawing up.  Hell, the RIOT-NSF war could have been great -- the global war NO ONE saw coming.  But that thing was shut down by established alliances for precisely that reason:  it wasn't expected by TPTB. 

I think FAN-UCR, Kaskus-SL, and RIOT-NSF keep this world interesting.  I didn't join/start a micro because I couldn't get a government job elsewhere -- I did it so my CN life wouldn't be pre-scripted and I'd end up fighting people 3 treaty chains away who I had nothing against.

Most of the major alliances' activities seem scripted -- who hasn't predicted the last 5 major wars, down to whose side who's alliance will be on?

There were quite a few alliances in the last war that did some unexpected turns -- albeit, some of them didn't change sides, but they did change the narrative.

I really think that micros are the only thing making the game interesting right now.

Most of the major alliances' activities seem scripted -- who hasn't predicted the last 5 major wars, down to whose side who's alliance will be on?  Sure, there is some political intrigue, but always based on short-term political gain.

Micro-driven wars are better.  A week before we fought Kashmir, I had NO IDEA I'd ever fight Kashmir.  MONTHS before Disorder, we all saw the sides drawing up.  Hell, the RIOT-NSF war could have been great -- the global war NO ONE saw coming.  But that thing was shut down by established alliances for precisely that reason:  it wasn't expected by TPTB. 

I think FAN-UCR, Kaskus-SL, and RIOT-NSF keep this world interesting.  I didn't join/start a micro because I couldn't get a government job elsewhere -- I did it so my CN life wouldn't be pre-scripted and I'd end up fighting people 3 treaty chains away who I had nothing against.

These are all things it doesn't require micro status to accomplish.

Great points and another thing to add, the long drug out 3 -4  month global war to someone who's only 30kns and watched a years work go up in smoke can be discouraging to a new player, when FAN hit UCR I knew that thing wouldn't last, there were moments I was unsure but I had a good idea, plus having MPOL post is always a treat no matter what .

Doesn't require it -- but makes it easier to navigate, and by and large they are the ones doing it.  You can start a Kashmir and be an independent force on BOB.  Pretty tough to work your way up through the GATO ranks and be an independent force on Bob.

I think a micro gives you a chance to act in Gov't capacities that might take awhile in a larger alliance.  Not saying micros are the only way to go, but I certainly don't think they are killing the game.

Even if a major alliance war starts up soon, with the way most alliances only act if they have a treaty obligation, most players will end up missing out on any of the action if they continue playing as they are. I was bored out of my mind with CN until this Kashmir War ended up happening and since then I've got someone to come back to CN, who had been bored of it for a long time and deleted from inactivity previously.

So if you're bored, try something different. Its better to at least try to have some fun, rather than just let yourself fade into inactivity out of boredom without doing anything exciting.

Edited by Methrage

It's true that it doesn't require micro status, but in recent history, this type of action and independence is largely demonstrated by micros, and while all alliances may do so as well, most... don't.

Doesn't require it -- but makes it easier to navigate, and by and large they are the ones doing it.  You can start a Kashmir and be an independent force on BOB.  Pretty tough to work your way up through the GATO ranks and be an independent force on Bob.

I think a micro gives you a chance to act in Gov't capacities that might take awhile in a larger alliance.  Not saying micros are the only way to go, but I certainly don't think they are killing the game.

I don't think micros are killing the game, but if people that wanted to play the game an interesting way put the time into building alliances with the muscle to change it, it'd be better for everyone.

The trend I dislike that I see in several micros(major alliances too, for that matter) is that they stop trying. They aren't building their nations and their membership to sustain doing interesting things. Alliances should WANT to pack a helluva wallop, no matter how small their goals are when they throw their punches. If alliances aren't turning their nations into killing machines and then using them to kill, they're part of the pervasive trend towards boringness here.

What most alliances are missing is real leadership, those who are willing to get into fights and crush their enemies. With many of the bigger alliances having so many infra huggers, if their leader acts in an antagonizing manner to try getting something interesting going, those who want to preserve their stats will panic at the thought of war and try getting a more passive leader in charge. Then the alliance declines due to having no purpose other than existing.

When a good leader builds an alliance up to being bigger and more military prepared than ever before (as well as bringing them military victories), then they have members they once trusted as good friends turn on them out of fear of war; then they aren't likely to try very hard ever again. I'm willing to admit for many years now I've no longer tried at the politics and have mostly just been having fun with my nation at times since its still here. I throw my nation at overwhelming numbers and see where the pieces fall.

Limitless Nexus could grow into something big if I had more gov capable individuals join who are willing to fill support roles, although I've never been one to actively recruit.

Edited by Methrage

Micros are a thing that if the game didn't have them, CN would be boring. Imagine if only the current top 50 or 60 alliances were the only alliances in existence, the game would look boring and lose a lot of smaller conflicts that wouldn't happen without micros. Now, I started out in a "micro" (at the time when I joined, It had about 3.62 score) and I liked it. I liked it because there were (were being the keyword) people in my alliance who helped me to understand and play the game. I get the feeling that if I would have picked any of the other alliances that I got messages from on my first day, (all three of those alliances being sanctioned, GPA, NG, and TOP) I don't think I would have learned as much about CN as I did. While in the "micro" I felt like I was doing important things like recruiting people, setting up Trade Circles, making lists of tech sellers, I felt like I was being useful. The micro that I was in went from 3.62 Score to 6.37 score in 4 months, now that may not be a lot, but when I saw where we came from, to where we were now, I was able to say, "Wow, I helped to do that" and it was a good feeling. This is not something that a new player in NG or TOP or GPA, will probably ever be able to fell because a new player will probably never be able to do a wide assortment of jobs and tasks in a bigger alliance, most likely, they learn how to play the game and hardly ever get on their alliance's forums or do anything of the sort. I may have left that "micro", but I learned a lot about CN in that micro, and I do not regret any of my actions, leaving that micro, or while inside it.

First note that I have not read the rest of this thread in detail, I just saw the GPA mentioned and thought I'd pop in. :P I am unsure how other larger alliances do it, but once you graduate from the academy in the GPA you are almost always directed towards volunteering opportunities that include, but are not limited to: foreign affairs, mentoring, recruiting, response corps, writing, application evaluation, trade circle managing, arranging tech deals throughout CN, and some others that I can't think of off the top of my head. One can feel plenty useful in a larger alliance if they simply apply themselves and take advantage of the opportunities that are available, not to mention that in the GPA anyone who is active and determined can easily get into elected government, as well. If anything, I would think that there are actually more chances to do a wise assortment of jobs and tasks in a bigger alliance due to the size and need for manpower. Hopefully that addresses your concerns and gives you some inside input on how a new member of a larger alliance can be treated (and is treated within the GPA). :) As for my thoughts towards micros - I am neutral on the matter. :awesome: Edited by Kurdanak

We've literally never sent out recruitment messages in the 7+ years I've been here.

TOP has also been sanctioned more often than not and therefore received free advertising in game for much of its existence.  That provides you with a powerful recruiting tool that makes it largely unnecessary to recruit unless you want to be a #1-5 alliance in terms of numbers.

First, look to the left and check out my huge number of posts on this forum. 

Pretty impressive isn't it? Now, I have been in this game since 2006, and that's all I've managed to accumulate. I have been really active for most of my time in the game but if you aren't in AZTEC, an old member of GOLD, or maybe an old member of FAN you wouldn't recognize any of the names I have used over the years. I am far more interested in the internal workings of an alliance and getting that alliance to perform as well as possible than I am with the global politics of CN. So I can't say that the current state of the game is more or less conducive to generating new members or retaining players that we have. 

In the end I don't think alliances choosing sides would help anything. I don't think more, or less, wars would help anything. In honesty this game has gone downhill due to the attitudes of those of us playing it. When you say things about the game dying, that you cannot wait for it to go away, etc. that mindset rubs off. I know it makes you fit in the cool-kid clique here on the OWF to say those things, but it has an impact on the people that are less active. They see the more active and outgoing members of their alliance saying things like that and it starts to sink in. However, unlike the people here, when they start thinking that they follow through on it. Obviously if all the people here actually hated it as much as they claim they'd stop posting here and would let their accounts go inactive. 

<snip>

This much is an excellent point and it deserves to be quoted.  Self-fulfilling prophecy (along with OOC assassination) seem to be something of a specialty around here and it isn't helpful.

As to your other point, some of the best times I've had in this game came when I didn't even come close to having a full set of everything and the idea of owning nuclear weapons was a distant dream.  We spend far too much time doing the equivalent of sending 12 year olds out in the street with a panzerfaust when we slap a MP wonder in the hands of a relatively new nation than we should.

I remember long ago, Chairmen Hal saying CN is here to provide you something your graphic card can’t, that was years ago before hardware has advance the way it has, hell Forza just came out (I’m on 5 by the way via the Xbox one) point being CN allowed joe six pack and soccer mom (The days of Sister Midnight) to possibly run the most powerful alliance on the globe and live out fantasies that were reserved for sycophants like Karl Rove

Today, no matter if you’re a liberal, conservative, libertarian, Marxist, jihadist or plain old anarchist the world is so screwed up you don’t have to pretend anymore, you’ll have no problem finding a RL organization to fill that void.

Political activism is at an all-time high globally, the real movers and shakers of the past here in CN look around their world and my guess find this one juvenile.

I know I do, I’m here a long time, I can remember reading threads Ivan would create, have the whole planet hating his guts and everyone saying ( Who does the MFER think he is he’s got to go! )

That’s what the planets missing a universal bad guy everyone hates and are too afraid to do anything about it.  

Then again I’m old and according to some senile, so take this post with a grain of salt 

We've lost the roleplay that made this place so much fun, I think.  Part of that is laziness, part of that is too much first person shooter mentality, part of that is an attitude that roleplay is !@#$%^&*, and winning is everything.  We can always get it back, but first we need people to be a bit more Hime Themis.

Micro Alliances generally suck, but sometimes that suckage is a bit of fun for those that are bored to tears with the mainstream politics of this game

And often enough they become Ragnarok, or another sanctioned/significant alliance over a period of years, that to dismiss them is silly.  

Edited by ChairmanHal

We've lost the roleplay that made this place so much fun, I think.  Part of that is laziness, part of that is too much first person shooter mentality, part of that is an attitude that roleplay is !@#$%^&*, and winning is everything.  We can always get it back, but first we need people to be a bit more Hime Themis.

Do remember when the GOON's came out with shark week? The planet was in an uproar but that didn't didn't stop them, it's was during the WUT days and no-one would challenge that, I was at USN back then and I thought this is player censorship at it's worst.

I read some of the threads today and I think DAMN I miss shark week and you're right Hal on every point from laziness all the way to " We have to treaty with so and so to make sure we win"

It's always been simple for the crew I hang with, we don't start shit till we need to, not only is it exhausting trying to keep with the treaty web at our age it seems pointless, this last war we would not even have entered if the sides weren't so lopsided, I mean seriously 11 alliances on 1, that right there will discourage anyone and then you have to ask yourself at what point is this no longer a game, I like you miss the mystery and intrigue, during WWII that war could have went either way, these days, the outcome is predetermined before it even starts.

I don't think micros are killing the game, but if people that wanted to play the game an interesting way put the time into building alliances with the muscle to change it, it'd be better for everyone.

The trend I dislike that I see in several micros(major alliances too, for that matter) is that they stop trying. They aren't building their nations and their membership to sustain doing interesting things. Alliances should WANT to pack a helluva wallop, no matter how small their goals are when they throw their punches. If alliances aren't turning their nations into killing machines and then using them to kill, they're part of the pervasive trend towards boringness here.

Every major alliance is trying to turn their members into killing machines, but the pervasive trend you mentioned here continues.  All that effort goes into fighting another alliance most of your members don't even hate for 2-3 months.   

I thought the RS-Guinness war had great potential for drama until the Guinness/NSF side fell apart a day in.

Well then I wonder how this: http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=546620 Naiton made it to TOP, he's been there for his entire nation's life, he's either a re-roll of a previous TOP member, or a new recruit, he MUST have gotten into TOP somehow.

Been here since 06 and I was a previous member. So umm yeah.

Edited by Charles the Tyrant

More Ivans would be fun :)

I don't really believe a game reset would bring new people in. Perhaps we'd see some old people come back, we'd definitely lose a lot of old people, but the composition of the community just wouldn't change enough to really be interesting again. You'd also see a situation where alliances that had big, old nations but haven't necessarily always built very efficiently are hurt at the expense of the more detail oriented among us.

Inequality will reassert itself pretty darn quickly.

I don't really believe a game reset would bring new people in. Perhaps we'd see some old people come back, we'd definitely lose a lot of old people, but the composition of the community just wouldn't change enough to really be interesting again. You'd also see a situation where alliances that had big, old nations but haven't necessarily always built very efficiently are hurt at the expense of the more detail oriented among us.

Inequality will reassert itself pretty darn quickly.

I agree. Resetting has pros and cons, but in the end everything will just end up like it was before with-in something like, 6 months. What we need is more players that want to step-up, and want to play a bigger role in the game. We had more wars back in the beginning for a lot of reasons, but a big one was that people didn't care. People just went out gins blazin', but now people actually care about the game(myself included). It is a barrier that keeps us from realizing that we can do what ever we want, because it is just a game.

Why do you have to hate an alliance to fight them?  I actually have more fun fighting people I know and like than randoms that I "hate" or who "hate" me.

I guess i can somewhat agree, but going to war with an ally is as politically incorrect as it gets.