The Miday DoW

New Carnoly

VE used it against NpO to start the PB-NpO war, and now it is being used in the FAN/Fark- NPO Conflict. I was always a firm believer in the update blitz, has CN moved past that? If so, why? I always have thought that the update blitz would give a good advantage.

[quote name='New Carnoly' timestamp='1323215355' post='2866321']
VE used it against NpO to start the PB-NpO war, and now it is being used in the FAN/Fark- NPO Conflict. I was always a firm believer in the update blitz, has CN moved past that? If so, why? I always have thought that the update blitz would give a good advantage.
[/quote]

The only reason why you wouldn't declare at update is to throw off your enemies and blitz them unabated (midday blitz, 3 hours post-update when everyone goes to bed, etc.). That's really it. Or if update is at a god awful time. But blitzing at update is still better I'd imagine (quads).

Edited by SpacingOutMan

[quote name='EpsilonPhoenix' timestamp='1323216044' post='2866364']
I think it was also used when RoK and friends attacked NSO.
[/quote]

They where also used during Karma, the person or people who put the DoWs up on the wiki for that war also put a timestamp with them.

So it's nothing new :P

[quote name='Banksy' timestamp='1323216135' post='2866371']
Update blitz is a dumb move tactically now we have nukes.

But because no one in this game likes to depart from the past, we still use 2006 war tactics.
[/quote]

I think that's very simple way of looking at it. Certainly the spread of nukes has made the update blitz less valuabe, but for many alliances who have the ability to get a decent portion on at update, the blitz still has value. Also, as the mid day blitz grows in popularity, the update blitz loses some of its predictability.

The whole beauty to an update strike is you get in a free round of attacks (where the other person can't reply because it is 1 am and they are asleep). So you get to do 7 days worth of damage and take 6 in return. As others have said, in the era of nukes that is pocket change.

Also during a global war everyone is on at night and rebuying. It can actually be harder to get a first strike anarchy and defeat alerts with just GAs since your target is online and clicking the "buy troops" button constantly. Just figure you'll drop a nuke and get the anarchy anyway.

The midday or evening DoW also makes it easier to get your alliance online and functioning in a non sleep deprived state. Military officers are more alert, troops are more alert. Less chance of blown staggers and in nuclear war that is what really matters.

Edited by Belisaurus

[quote name='LittleRena' timestamp='1323216475' post='2866385']
They where also used during Karma, the person or people who put the DoWs up on the wiki for that war also put a timestamp with them.

So it's nothing new :P
[/quote]
Yeah, spot on. I'll miss seeing everyone on irc freak out about CN being down at update though.

Personally I think fighting at update is silly since its when everyone is around and your target will be ready for you. Much better to attack during the day randomly.

[quote name='Ninja Colt' timestamp='1323215578' post='2866339']
too many people expect the update blitz so its a good surprise attack

plus lots of european players cba to wake up at 6 am to attack in this game anymore
[/quote]
We have to at least get up at 5:30 for that rubbish to make a cup of tea.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1323216943' post='2866402']
I think that's very simple way of looking at it. Certainly the spread of nukes has made the update blitz less valuabe, but for many alliances who have the ability to get a decent portion on at update, the blitz still has value. Also, as the mid day blitz grows in popularity, the update blitz loses some of its predictability.
[/quote]
It's not that they've made them less valuable. Update attacks are great because of the extra damage, but not on the first night.

Look at the game mechanics and how we do staggers for a bit and you'll see why.