Reasons for stalling or not coming in at all

magicninja

The Reasons  

170 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because they know they'll get slaughtered if they enter. I'd do the same if I was in their position.

At some point they will have to make a stand though, or else we'll know we can just attack alliances with no cause in the future and there will be no retribution.

Poll doesn't really cover all possible options. There are always courses related with making sure all PM nations can come out at the same time, lobbying a large enough coalition, or trying to force the treaty chains in their favour.

And then, there's irrational reasons, like believing Polar stands a chance of winning, or Polaris deciding that only half of its allies should burn and wanting SF to stay out.

[quote name='Letum' timestamp='1322806401' post='2859123']
Poll doesn't really cover all possible options. There are always courses related with making sure all PM nations can come out at the same time, lobbying a large enough coalition, or trying to force the treaty chains in their favour.

And then, there's irrational reasons, like believing Polar stands a chance of winning, or Polaris deciding that only half of its allies should burn and wanting SF to stay out.
[/quote]

This is true enough. Who knows if the real reason is up there. I figured I'd cover the more popular reasons people have on their minds. Though I forgot the ever popular pressure from allies to stay out.

Of course I have no idea, and I am not sure that I care.

If I had to struggle to find a reason I'd say that they're not going to get better odds by entering and they know it. The only material result would be to take bigger collective damages, thus why bother? They can better help their allies rebuild if they haven't been destroyed themselves.

People think that in case of global conflict "Polar side" will be defeated by "TOP's side" of the web. The political situation would then arguably evolve towards a new rivalry among the victors of this war.
As of now, of the next to become/remain the dominant side, only PF/DR is involved thus they're the only ones taking damage. If this stall goes on long enough this might become a problem for "TOP and friends" (currently engaged) as they risk to become irrelevant (or, worse, an easy target) after the war.
They can solve this problem by bringing even more weight to the fight, although that might cause a PR damage and even somewhat put at risk the support of some of their current allies/proxies.
In other words, "Polar and friends" seem pretty much hopeless and they have little to lose, whereas "TOP and friends" have a reason to not continue to be the only ones to fight, thus the stall might cause a division among "TOP's side" of the web. This of course works for "Polar side".

DH/PB and MJ might be the ones that most benefit from this war remaining for "long" confined to the current fighters. Tech became the dominant factor of CN military power and it is time-constrained, thus time is one of the really scarce/precious resources of our environment. No one aspiring to greatness can afford to lose much time in war while their rivals continue to grow in peace. This stall isn't working against Polar side only.

This scenario might change when Polar and friends run out of nukes, but we also have to keep in mind that Polar mentality/culture/community will hardly be weakened by fighting an uphill war - in fact they're probably welcoming their new scars (no irony intended). This situation isn't simple.

[quote name='Banksy' timestamp='1322806229' post='2859119']
At some point they will have to make a stand though, or else we'll know we can just attack alliances with no cause in the future and there will be no retribution.
[/quote]
This is something I've been thinking about and I don't think enough people are saying. The way to maintain and sustain yourself as a world power, hell any kind of power at all, isn't to shy away from the hard battles and decisions when they come. You have to man up eventually and putting it off oftentimes only makes it harder in the end. Not to mention, before you even get to that end, you're going to have a hell of a time getting anyone to take you seriously.