An Address from the Grandmaster

Doitzel

My origins here are perhaps not so well-known anymore, as the older generations have given way to the new, but I feel I must address those to whom I owe so much (both figuratively and, thanks to tonight, monetarily). Once upon a 2006 I was a member, and later a leader, of IRON. The time of my rise was a tumultuous one; the planet's first truly global war struck and, in my excited state, I insisted on pushing us toward war. But it was not meant to be. The Council, to my frustration, decided that we had nothing to gain in the matter, and so we stood aside. It did wonders for the standing of our alliance: as others nuked the crap out of each other, our nations shot up into the nuclear-capable ranges.

As the weeks dragged on and I was promoted I began to see the wisdom in these policies. We signed no defensive pacts, but insisted we retained our sovereign right to support whoever in whatever, which we backed up with our allowance of tech-raiding (before that was "cool" or, later, detestable). Conveniently we never exercised this, and when anyone tried to involve the alliance with other alliances they got ganked by the rest of the Council. In my naivety I eventually left in frustration for what I thought were greener pastures. The following chapters of my existence are more well-known.

Fast-forward to the recent months and the foundation of my current alliance, the Jedi Order. Our activities (or lack thereof) to date are no coincidence. The destiny that I pursued with such rigour was smeared in blood and all for what? When all was said and done I had not even one thousand infrastructure and no wonders to show for the blood, swear, toil, and tears I shed. Finally, at the end of the last era, I understood. I came to realise the overwhelming wisdom of the path of Independence, Not Neutrality. For what is the point in our existence if we haven't thousands of infrastructure levels to measure our success?

The path of Independence from foreign influence avoids the stress of entangling treaties, the difficult decisions of whether certain allies are worth the investment of time and labour. I must admit, I was worried for some time there. I was afraid that in my ignorance and haste I had helped to draw IRON away from this very prudent path. I see, now, that once again I was simply naive. IRON saw in that era the systematic destruction of independent voices -- GPA, GUARD, etc. -- as a direct threat to itself. And so it tied itself in to the ruling power but retained its apparently-submissive exterior. Minimal investment to a global hegemony that provided it with plenty of time and security to construct precious infrastructure.

When the structure came crashing down, they simply scampered out the back door. Sure, they got clocked on the head on the way out, but by convincing the new Big Man on TOP that they were loyal friends the bruise remained superficial. They claimed to have seen the error of their ways and assured the world that they were hoodwinked, a product of the times. And so they returned quietly to the shadows, and quickly their infrastructure returned them to their former ranking as time slowly healed the wounds to their image. The healing was so fast and effective, in fact, that when another war nearly dragged them into the line of fire people actually thought that the quiet giant would awake from its Independence to sacrifice more infrastructure in a losing war. I knew better; I have watched and learned, and no longer am I the naive one.

To IRON, I must raise my hand in salute. Your impeccable devotion to self-preservation has shown me the light. I am no longer ashamed to say that my own alliance -- not accidentally modeled on an ideology that breeds inaction -- has modeled its policy of non-intervention after your own. I am no longer ashamed to say that I helped build, and was once a part of, the mighty infra-building army of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations.

Hail to the Jedi!

Hail to IRON!

Hail to SDCs!

May the Force be with you.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic