An open apology to goons and the members of the owf

Williambonney

Your vs you're  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*Grips microphone*

It has recently come to my attention that I have made some errors that need to be addressed. *taps mic* While posting in the past few days I have made some poor choices in my content that should be rectified in case I have caused anyone harm or confusion. I would like everyone to know that was not my intent at all. While posting I made some typos in my choice of words in the use of "your" and "you're" that seem to have caused negative emotions in the core membership of goons that I am deeply in regret for. So I'd like to apologize here and now to goons and all of you, but seriously, was it that big of a deal? I mean if I said to a goon "your a moron" or "you're a moron", don't they mean the same thing when you think of it? Just some food for though I suppose. So I thought I'd open up a debate on the issue since I know how much everyone loves a good poll :awesome: (relax Yala I'm not trying to steal your thunder)

Edited by William Bonney

Well you see, it all does really matter. For example, if I was addressing the Hopeless Coalition, and I said something like "Your going to lose," it could be quite confusing. What are they going to lose? Their tonsils? Their virginities? It really doesn't make any sense, considering that second option is completely impossible.

Now if I say to you, "You're going to lose," it implies that you ARE going to lose, which would not have any sort of appropriate context unless you examine the one in which it was given. I, a member of Doom House, speaking to you, a member of the Hopeless Coalition, telling you that you are going to lose, can only mean that you are going to lose this war. Which you will.

Or, for a more personal explanation: [url="http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=200690&Extended=0"]You're in anarchy[/url] so you're losing.

[img]http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5055548/good-day-sir.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=willy-wonka[/img]

Edited by Sithis

[quote name='Sithis' timestamp='1300337456' post='2667053']
Well you see, it all does really matter. For example, if I was addressing the Hopeless Coalition, and I said something like "Your going to lose," it could be quite confusing. What are they going to lose? Their tonsils? Their virginities? It really doesn't make any sense, considering that second option is completely impossible.

Now if I say to you, "You're going to lose," it implies that you ARE going to lose, which would not have any sort of appropriate context unless you examine the one in which it was given. I, a member of Doom House, speaking to you, a member of the Hopeless Coalition, telling you that you are going to lose, can only mean that you are going to lose this war. Which you will.

Or, for a more personal explanation: [url="http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=200690&Extended=0"]You're in anarchy[/url] so you're losing.

[img]http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5055548/good-day-sir.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=willy-wonka[/img]
[/quote]
Does that mean my opponents are losing then too? I mean there are three of them so really I shouldn't be winning should I? :blink:

Edited by William Bonney

I see we've taught you the difference between "you're" and "your"....now to teach you the difference between a "typo" and blatant stupidity. The OP is a perfect example of the latter.

[quote name='Jens of the desert' timestamp='1300386141' post='2667921']
How could your brain not comprehend that it should be "couldn't care less"?
[/quote]
You forgot the handy-dandy visual aid!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6eKKS.png[/IMG]

[quote name='Sithis' timestamp='1300337456' post='2667053']

[/quote]

I'm afraid you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

If you told someone "your going to lose", the issue isn't "what are they going to lose?" That's quite simply the result of a vague statement. Even if you said "You're going to lose" it can still be considered a vague statement, except at this point in time it's obvious you're referring to a war.

When you tell someone "your xyz" you're simply referring to 'xyz' which that person owns. On the other hand, when you say "You're xyz" you're likely referring to a state of existence, or possibly an action that that person will take (You are alive, you are jumping, etc etc).

So if someone says "your going to lose", then you can choose to read that as "the 'going to lose' that belongs to you". However, when you consider that nobody actually speaks like that, pointing out the error in someone's use of "you're" and "your" when the context and meaning is so plainly obvious just makes you an !@#$%^&, not a scholar. Odds are the person making the correction needs to pull something large out of one of their orifices.

[quote name='William Bonney' timestamp='1300338069' post='2667087']
Does that mean my opponents are losing then too? I mean there are three of them so really I shouldn't be winning should I? :blink:
[/quote]

He was demonstrating the correct meaning of "you're", I believe.