Protection Rescinded

Schattenmann

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285725090' post='2467506']
This thread doesn't seem to be about making a new argument, but providing more evidence in support of an old argument. The evidence clearly supports one side, and that side has been staking on evidence continuously for quite some time now, whereas the other side's evidence is scant to non-existent. The only side that should be changing its arguments is the side with the evidence against it. The other side is continually proving itself right and thus has no need to change anything.
[/quote]

It isn't more evidence, it is the same evidence. Honestly, not one new or previously unknown 'fact', if you will. Furthermore, there isn't even any new discussion on the matter. It is the same grievance, in the same form, in a terrible new thread. The thread title is even misleading. It should state the dissolution of the USSR alliance. I think the cancellation of any treaty or protectorate offers could be safely assumed. The rest of the diatribe goes on the postulate that GOONS are responsible for driving members out of the game. I think that might be unfair, more likely boredom is the culprit. It would appear that the members who were interested in playing have, in fact, continued to play, as Schattenmann so kindly pointed out.

GOONS members go inactive and get deleted daily. I could come up with some crazy story about how Rebel Virgina made them so ashamed of being GOONS that they quit. Or I could just assume they got bored, and quit. Everyone knows the saying about the simpler answer...

Planet Bob isn't for everyone.

Apologies for the OOC bits; but I think it is relevant, since it appears to the real focus of the OP.

Edited by Methos

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bill Wallace' timestamp='1285725196' post='2467511']
There, fixed that for you.
[/quote]

Wow, you got him there! Keep this up, and your level of skill at making puerile counterarguments just might someday rival Impero's.

One thing I especially enjoy about reactions to announcements like this one is how they allow for so many duplicitous leaders to show their true characters.

Like moths to a flame.

[quote name='Methos' timestamp='1285726281' post='2467534']
GOONS members go inactive and get deleted daily. I could come up with some crazy story about how Rebel Virgina made them so ashamed of being GOONS that they quit. Or I could just assume they got bored, and quit. Everyone knows the saying about the simpler answer...
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Oh please. Your members who disappear do not give up for the same reasons as those you raid. Your members are not forced to spend weeks in an unprovoked and unbeatable war, so inexperienced that not even small amounts of damage can be done, with the only hope for some semblance of peace being to demean oneself before GOONS through a series of crude and juvenile essays and pictures, exalting GOONS and admitting to being weak, cowardly, and crying rivers. All so that you GOONies can get a cheap giggle. Can you blame most people for not humiliating themselves for peace? Being allowed to rule in this world is simply not worth the humiliation demanded by GOONS, especially considering it is only from GOONS that an impression of this world comes from. They might as well assume this world is filled with delinquent adolescent rulers such as yourselves. When I first began I'd likely have given up myself, but I've learned better over the years. Regardless, as I said, no one is fooled by your pig slop of a story. You are to blame for a great part of this diminishing.[/color]

[quote name='Ferrozoica Hive' timestamp='1285723824' post='2467477']
We've seen this argument before in another discussion thread - both sides have done nothing to change their points, their methods or their aims. I don't understand why the need exists to attempt to shove the argument's form into a new shape.
[/quote]

I disagree, but I will be gracious on this point. It's hard to make the transition from terrorist to leader. If those who are interested in debating GOONS and their future bloc partners wish to continue, then I encourage them to do so, but for me, I cannot bear to see friends and people I know to know better argue against what is right. Here is the end of my response to this thread:

The Cult of Justitia had little more than 10 nations when we got between GOONS and U.S.S.R.; furthermore, we had and have no bloc backing us up, just two optional treaties. It was the right thing to do, even though all but one of the U.S.S.R. nations were on their way to deletion. We accepted 2 nations, Caprios and Snerval, we filled GOONS peace terms for U.S.S.R., and then to ensure that their peace was preserved we extended protection to them even though we assumed that all of them were going to be gone in less than 25 days. One nation hung on, but he was attacked again by the same organization that destroyed his alliance mates. It made sense for him to go the same way they did, and now he's gone, too. Since there is no remnant of U.S.S.R. to protect, but acronyms are often recycled, we are officially withdrawing protection of the U.S.S.R. AA (There is a USSR {no periods}, they are different and have never been protected by CoJ). I spent a year of my life tearing down the "reasons given in private" nonsense that enslaves minds, and I won't use it, so now you all know the story of U.S.S.R.--nothing more, nothing less. Though I have written two or three threads about GOONS's practices in the recent past, I had no control over the circumstances of the deletion of all but two U.S.S.R. nations, and I had no control over the timing of the deletion of the last member which necessitated this announcement. U.S.S.R. did not "dissolve" or "disband" as some have asserted in their replies--every nation except the two that joined CoJ deleted as a result of GOONS's actions.

In attempting to help the victims of GOONS's Red Safari, I contacted U.S.S.R. whose GOONS attacks coincided with but were not part of the Safari, but finding thus, did not go back on my word to asssist. Given the chance, I would have approached the situation with U.S.S.R. differently, but that is not possible. Instead, CoJ submitted to the humiliation of GOONS's mercy board, writing two essays and creating several images that GOONS would find funny on behalf of U.S.S.R.

In the future--just as in the past--I will use every means at my disposal, every cent of my political capital, every means I can conceive to prevent things which are wrong and at my attention. Though time has changed your positions in life, and has changed my position in life, I have always done just that, and I will always do just that. If you have ever loved me, it is because of just that, if you have ever hated me, it is because of just that; most of you have done both, and that is proof enough.

In every age, I am always your Schattenmann.

Edited by Schattenmann

[quote name='Methos' timestamp='1285726281' post='2467534']
It isn't more evidence, it is the same evidence.[/quote]

Is that right? Where has the information in the OP been posted once before?

[quote]Everyone knows the saying about the simpler answer...[/quote]

Yes indeed, but not everyone is content with letting a trite expression do their thinking for them.

[quote name='Bavaricar' timestamp='1285726691' post='2467540']
Wow, you got him there! Keep this up, and your level of skill at making puerile counterarguments just might someday rival Impero's.[/quote]

Come on now! How many anti-GOONS threads have there been over the last two weeks? It's getting a bit ridiculous and I'm only attempting to demonstrate this with a little humor. Maybe the problem with Planet Bob isn't raiding, but the refusal of some of you to lighten up.

Edited by Bill Wallace

I would like to clear up the misconception of the Red Raiding Safari.

GOONS did not make this Safari at all (sure, Xodi named it, but it's not ours), but a few of our nations participated in it.

Calling it our Safari is painting with a very broad brush, since there are several alliances that participated in it.

[quote name='Bill Wallace' timestamp='1285728761' post='2467570']
Come on now! How many anti-GOONS threads have there been over the last two weeks? It's getting a bit ridiculous and I'm only attempting to demonstrate this with a little humor. Maybe the problem with Planet Bob isn't raiding, but the refusal of some of you to lighten up.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]Oh please. GOONS have quite consistently acted like arrogant jerks to new rulers. The problem ultimately lies with those causing it, through their prickly personalities, and not with those who want nothing to due with such classless individuals because they're unable to "lighten up."[/color]

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1285690464' post='2466889']
Mess with the best, die like the rest :smug:.
[/quote]

When GOONS can take on a single nation and actually win, you can claim to be bottom of the dung heap at least. until then, don't even attempt to state you are anywhere near close to being the best when you can't finish off a single nation.

[/quote]

Oh that's right, when you're the "man" on top it's everyone else who is taking things too seriously. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with a little harmless raiding, right? I do recall the VE-goons announcement where your alliance assured us we'd see a a kinder, more gentle goons. What we really see now is the same goons of old and a degenerated VE.

It is pretty choice seeing the VE repeatedly sugar coat and otherwise try to explain away things for the goons in all of these threads.

[quote name='Bavaricar' timestamp='1285729529' post='2467582']
What we really see now is the same goons of old and a degenerated VE.

[/quote]

What I see is run of the mill incidents being dramatized, and I see it strangling this planet. I see babies crying, the gnashing of teeth, and vindictive inquiries all over what amounts to spilled milk. I see people with absolutely no long term memory and thousands upon thousands of posts filled with bickering and catch phrases, idiots who try to sound smart and witty, and comparisons so bad they make me cringe.

We are a group that views situations from a standpoint grounded in rationality. In your warped view of the world, you may call it degenerated, but I call it being reasonable.

Also, apparently there is no such thing as off topic anymore.

Edited by Il Impero Romano

[quote name='Il Impero Romano' timestamp='1285731196' post='2467600']
What I see is run of the mill incidents being dramatized, and I see it strangling this planet. I see babies crying, the gnashing of teeth, and vindictive inquiries all over what amounts to spilled milk. I see people with absolutely no long term memory and thousands upon thousands of posts filled with bickering and catch phrases, idiots who try to sound smart and witty, and comparisons so bad they make me cringe.

We are a group that views situations from a standpoint grounded in rationality. In your warped view of the world, you may call it degenerated, but I call it being reasonable.

Also, apparently there is no such thing as off topic anymore.
[/quote]

You really enjoy this backseat moderating don't you? Well, I'm sorry Mr. Moderator. I was replying to a member of the VE who was defending his treaty partner the GOONS who was attacking the OP. I'll take whatever warning this earns me and post this answer here rather than visit the moderation area to further engage in your side's moderation reporting war.

[quote name='Timmehhh' timestamp='1285695845' post='2466979']
Isn't Schattenman the guy who is responsible for the destruction of Browncoats ?
[/quote]
What the hell is this coming from? I've only seen this claimed by people who weren't there. For the record, if any one individual is responsible for the death of Browncoats, it is the Lord of History of Nueva Vida, or possibly the Twilight Archon of Dark Templar.

[quote name='ktarthan' timestamp='1285707839' post='2467158']
"BAPS" is a 4 man AA, and is not the same as "Boards Alliance of Protectorate States". If someone had the AA "GOONS" I'd raid them myself.
[/quote]
I would not recommend this approach. I think you'll find most alliances protect nations who mistakenly put their alliance's acronym in the AA field.

[quote name='Haquertal' timestamp='1285728763' post='2467571']

GOONS did not make this Safari at all (sure, Xodi named it, but it's not ours), but a few of our nations participated in it.

Calling it our Safari is painting with a very broad brush, since there are several alliances that participated in it.
[/quote]
You were the largest group of participants.

[quote name='Bavaricar' timestamp='1285732326' post='2467628']
You really enjoy this backseat moderating don't you? Well, I'm sorry Mr. Moderator. I was replying to a member of the VE who was defending his treaty partner the GOONS who was attacking the OP. I'll take whatever warning this earns me and post this answer here rather than visit the moderation area to further engage in your side's moderation reporting war.
[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about.

[quote name='Il Impero Romano' timestamp='1285732742' post='2467636']
What the hell are you talking about.
[/quote]

Each time you respond to one of my posts you ask generally why someone has not ruled it off-topic. It's a cute tactic. And yep, I finally fell for it.

Have fun.

Edited by Bavaricar

[quote name='Il Impero Romano' timestamp='1285731196' post='2467600']

We are a group that views situations from a standpoint grounded in rationality. In your warped view of the world, you may call it degenerated, but I call it being reasonable.[/quote]

One thing you forgot to point out is the propensity for posters to make arguments that support their friends and allies. If I see an ally of GOONS posting consistently in their defense no matter what they do, I would be suspicious of any claims of rationality they might be making. Unless by rational they meant that partisan hackery was in their rational self-interest.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1285708374' post='2467176']
I don't know about Athens, but in CoJ when we change an official policy that effects everyone else--like a protectorate--we announce it for their benefit.
[/quote]

But this announcement affects absolutely no one, because as your OP points out, "[t]he alliance U.S.S.R. no longer exists." So then, how can you rescinding your protection of them have any bearing on matters Bobian?

Also stop this flood of randomly titled threads and just start TWiG like I suggested days ago because we all know what is going on :P

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285727425' post='2467554']
Is that right? Where has the information in the OP been posted once before?
[/quote]

The issue has come up before, particularly about the initial conflict with USSR and again about the unpaid reparations. I can't tell you where these debates were held, as I'm not going to dig through all(any) of the GOONS threads to find it. So, I must cede to you, that no single post has brought all this issues together in as nice a package as this. So thanks be to Schattenmann, Internet Organizer.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285727425' post='2467554']
Yes indeed, but not everyone is content with letting a trite expression do their thinking for them.
[/quote]

Perhaps, but I still think it is appropriate. I am of course, a stupid goon, so how else would I form an opinion if not for trite expressions?

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1285727285' post='2467548']
[color="#0000FF"]Oh please. Your members who disappear do not give up for the same reasons as those you raid. Your members are not forced to spend weeks in an unprovoked and unbeatable war, so inexperienced that not even small amounts of damage can be done, with the only hope for some semblance of peace being to demean oneself before GOONS through a series of crude and juvenile essays and pictures, exalting GOONS and admitting to being weak, cowardly, and crying rivers. All so that you GOONies can get a cheap giggle. Can you blame most people for not humiliating themselves for peace? Being allowed to rule in this world is simply not worth the humiliation demanded by GOONS, especially considering it is only from GOONS that an impression of this world comes from. They might as well assume this world is filled with delinquent adolescent rulers such as yourselves. When I first began I'd likely have given up myself, but I've learned better over the years. Regardless, as I said, no one is fooled by your pig slop of a story. You are to blame for a great part of this diminishing.[/color]
[/quote]

See? You're doing it again....

Edited by Methos

[quote name='Sal Paradise' timestamp='1285725090' post='2467506']
This thread doesn't seem to be about making a new argument, but providing more evidence in support of an old argument. The evidence clearly supports one side, and that side has been staking on evidence continuously for quite some time now, whereas the other side's evidence is scant to non-existent. The only side that should be changing its arguments is the side with the evidence against it. The other side is continually proving itself right and thus has no need to change anything.
[/quote]

In essence, I'm calling this entire mess a rehash of the same thing as before, hidden under a new guise. It's not going to be any more productive than any other :awesome: GOONS :awesome: vs. :(( GOONS :(( argument.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1285727286' post='2467549']
Snip
[/quote]

Fair enough, and I'll support your right to attempt your point whenever you do. I'm simply taking the stance that the current argument has been run over, shot, ressurected, dissected and burned so many times that nothing new is really making inroads. That being said, I look forward to your future work.

o/ The death of Miristan.

May their abandoned land yield fertile crops to nourish GOON babby's and may their scrapped technology be found suitable to aid the defense of GOONS nations.

There is no better purpose a spineless ruler could serve than to bolster the strength of others as his corpse is pecked dry.

[quote name='Bill Wallace' timestamp='1285725196' post='2467511']
There, fixed that for you.
[/quote]
Yeah...no. Nice try though. 1 point for effort...-3 points for not even addressing the main point.

[quote name='Bavaricar' timestamp='1285726691' post='2467540']
Wow, you got him there! Keep this up, and your level of skill at making puerile counterarguments just might someday rival Impero's.

One thing I especially enjoy about reactions to announcements like this one is how they allow for so many duplicitous leaders to show their true characters.

Like moths to a flame.
[/quote]
[quote name='Haquertal' timestamp='1285728763' post='2467571']

[/quote]
EHEM! No one called it your Safari. try again.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1285727286' post='2467549']
I disagree, but I will be gracious on this point. It's hard to make the transition from terrorist to leader. If those who are interested in debating GOONS and their future bloc partners wish to continue, then I encourage them to do so, but for me, I cannot bear to see friends and people I know to know better argue against what is right. Here is the end of my response to this thread:

The Cult of Justitia had little more than 10 nations when we got between GOONS and U.S.S.R.; furthermore, we had and have no bloc backing us up, just two optional treaties. It was the right thing to do, even though all but one of the U.S.S.R. nations were on their way to deletion. We accepted 2 nations, Caprios and Snerval, we filled GOONS peace terms for U.S.S.R., and then to ensure that their peace was preserved we extended protection to them even though we assumed that all of them were going to be gone in less than 25 days. One nation hung on, but he was attacked again by the same organization that destroyed his alliance mates. It made sense for him to go the same way they did, and now he's gone, too. Since there is no remnant of U.S.S.R. to protect, but acronyms are often recycled, we are officially withdrawing protection of the U.S.S.R. AA (There is a USSR {no periods}, they are different and have never been protected by CoJ). I spent a year of my life tearing down the "reasons given in private" nonsense that enslaves minds, and I won't use it, so now you all know the story of U.S.S.R.--nothing more, nothing less. Though I have written two or three threads about GOONS's practices in the recent past, I had no control over the circumstances of the deletion of all but two U.S.S.R. nations, and I had no control over the timing of the deletion of the last member which necessitated this announcement. U.S.S.R. did not "dissolve" or "disband" as some have asserted in their replies--every nation except the two that joined CoJ deleted as a result of GOONS's actions.

In attempting to help the victims of GOONS's Red Safari, I contacted U.S.S.R. whose [b]GOONS attacks coincided with but were not part of the Safari[/b], but finding thus, did not go back on my word to asssist. Given the chance, I would have approached the situation with U.S.S.R. differently, but that is not possible. Instead, CoJ submitted to the humiliation of GOONS's mercy board, writing two essays and creating several images that GOONS would find funny on behalf of U.S.S.R.

In the future--just as in the past--I will use every means at my disposal, every cent of my political capital, every means I can conceive to prevent things which are wrong and at my attention. Though time has changed your positions in life, and has changed my position in life, I have always done just that, and I will always do just that. If you have ever loved me, it is because of just that, if you have ever hated me, it is because of just that; most of you have done both, and that is proof enough.

In every age, I am always your Schattenmann.
[/quote]

[/quote]
This is an anti-GOON thread? lol, ego strikes again. [color="#ff0000"][b]This is about the cancellation of a protectorate.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Louisa' timestamp='1285737970' post='2467832']
But this announcement affects absolutely no one, because as your OP points out, "[t]he alliance U.S.S.R. no longer exists." So then, how can you rescinding your protection of them have any bearing on matters Bobian?
Also stop this flood of randomly titled threads and just start TWiG like I suggested days ago because we all know what is going on :P
[/quote]
Schatt stated that acronyms are recycled a lot, if they are a fairly well-recognized one. U.S.S.R. happens to be one. Who's to say someone else won't try to use it in the future?