CN Friendship

Zoomzoomzoom

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met some friends from other games. We're still RL friends and the game is dead.

That said, the main problem is mostly distance for me. I'm an open guy and I love to meet new faces. That said, if they live 1000kms away, I might go there once a year, top. They'd be "good acquintances". People that could probably be my friends if we lived near each other.

Same goes for a couple people in CN for me: I'd probably share a brew once a week with Khyber if we didn't live on the opposite sides of the continent. I'd have met others too, no doubt about it.

So yeah, "friend" is probably overused but there's no harm in using it when you're speaking to good acquintances, really.

Friendship is a relative term, and exists in several degrees of reality. I have a close group of friends in my home/OOC day life, and sometimes they even overlap and I interact with people I've met via CN. Those are the cool times, regardless of what's going on IC. Other times I've brought RL friends into the CN world, so the lines blur there.

I'll put the question to a test. If a friend of any nature tried to screw me over IC, it wouldn't affect my friendship with them (in fact it has usually just strengthened them after I laughed at them). If a friend of any nature tried to screw me over in real life, it definitely would. So what actions are taken in which world determines the level of friendship.

Mates are mates, it doesn't matter where they come from. I consider many people in CN to be mates, Londo, green muffins, Jgoods, Crushtania, I haven't met any of them in RL but I will once I travel around a bit.

It wouldn't bother me if I didn't meet them in RL, I can compare it to the many mates in RL who are traveling or moved overseas, they are still good mates and I keep in contact with them, just because I don't see them face to face doesn't mean they suddenly lose my friendship.

In the end, a lot of people in this thread are idiots, seeing someone face to face isn't the defining factor between a mate or an acquaintance.

Difference being that the person you know through CN could be a complete fraud. In RL when a friend moves away you have a certain knowledge of that person prior to no longer being able to speak face to face.

The thing that makes this question interesting for me is that I know several people IRL that are teachers of people in game, have direct friendship ties, or who I've probably already met IRL and just didn't know it. For someone else, I may actually be teaching at the middle school that they went to several years ago.

So, I could very easily see myself becoming RL friends with at least five or six people that I've met in-game.

I'm curious on the relations of CN friendships. Do you really consider other rulers in Cyber Nations to be your friends?

I once believed that many in CN were my true friends, but I find nowadays that I really don't know anyone or could trust anyone as I would a person I know in the real world. We've all seen the deceit and general !@#$%^&* from the CN populace so why would anyone really consider one another friends? I just don't have it in me to take that leap of faith.

This also coincides with political alliances. Many will argue they would go down in flames for their allies/friends, but do you really feel that strongly about them? I just see most political alliances as what they are, political necessities. Having led an alliance and later merged it into TOOL I found that none of the allies were truly friends and so I simply chose the most logical choice for a safe and productive home. I would never ally someone because they're a friend, but because they're politically related to what I believe in.

Once upon a time I would add CN "friends" on facebook, but I've realized that really isn't necessary when such a site contains enormous amounts of my personal information as well as information on true friends of mine.

So where do you stand?

P.S. I know many have come to this game through RL friends and so this really doesn't apply to you and if you're one of those few who have met in RL after meeting in CN congrats on taking that leap of faith. I hope it works for you.

EDIT: Is this even in the right forum? Sorry if it isn't.

Sounds like you just found the wrong friends. I have a couple friends in CN, but that doesn't mean my interests are automatically their interests. Yes, it is probable that a significant portion of CN would ditch you under the right (or wrong) circumstances or at least act in opposition to your best interests, but such is the real world as well - it is a rare friend that will actually stay with you through everything. I would agree that on average, a friendship in CN is probably built on a shakier foundation than in real life, especially because of conflicting loyalties to alliances, but I don't find it is so extreme as you seem to believe. If you build a friendship on something other than an in-game relationship it is much more likely to weather something like a war.

As for alliances, there is no such thing as a lasting alliance friendship. Alliance friendships are built on personal friendships between members and common experiences, and even if those are great at some point in time, as new players join and old players leave the game that will eventually change.

Edited by Moridin

I have a lot of CN friends, but only a 2 people that I would consider true friends. It's hard to be a RL friend with people over the internet, but not impossible.

Right....

As for the question, while I wouldn't consider anyone I've met in CN a 'true' friend, because to have that kind of relationship with someone you need to know them for years and have plenty 'real' contact, I would say that I've met some cool people who I'd like to meet irl at some point and who I think I'd get along with well.

my account has been suspended. i dont know what happened...

also, i created a new account, the problem was, everytime i put something in the media box, or any graphics even in "more about me" section, as well as welcome alert, my background image doesnt work. it just turns into white BG.

what the hell is happening to friendster????

someone help me please.....

I have a few friends who play this game ( i consider them true R/L friends.)

I have Cn friends that I like and would converse with daily, one being Mesapod from Sparta, a true Gent and as close to a friend is call on Cn

Zoomx3 i love...............to throw bricks at. Only joking, hes a great guy who will ask for advice if i need it ;)

Astronaught jones i love him too his consistent trolling under his new name makes me smile on a daily basis. Some animals can't change there spots.

Daggarz, wacky wacky but such a nice guy to chat with :D

This is Internetz and not RL so nobody comes close to being my Friend. People need to have or realise a degree of seperation from the internet ;)

I believe it is possible to make true friends here. I've known a handful of people for several years now and have grown very close to them to the point of calling them my friends. I also have quite a few people who I respect a great deal, but would put them more in the equivalent as a close acquaintance than close friend. The only reason I still play this game is thanks to seven people, people who I hold to be very close friends of mine.

I think it is possible to develop RL friendships in a game. I let many glance in to my RL and have very liittle trouble doing it. While I wouldnt call a bunch of people here true friends there are a select few whom I would do anything I could for and believe they would do the same. If you dont allow yourself oppurtunities to meet people and at least give it a chance to develop you may just miss out on the next mrs. smith or someone whom will still be around long after bob has exploded in nuclear waste.

This is a game and my charecter will make choices and while i may not like the choices my friends make i can seperate the game from the person behind the keyboard.

I've never had any of the people I typically converse with from CN backstab me or mistreat me in any way. I think it's probably because I tend to circulate in places far from the reaches of high politics. That's not to say that I think given the temptation of power they would do so- rather that, not being the sort attracted to a lifestyle of wheeling and dealing, they also aren't the sort who would do such a thing. I wouldn't really consider them friends in the way that I do "real" friends, but I do like these people and am glad to have them around.

Also, Methrage, if you even read this, I just wanted to say I appreciate your posts, even though you don't know me from a bar of soap. So... don't be too let down? :unsure:

Several I considered friends stabbed me in the back as soon as the opportunity presented itself, so its hard to differentiate between those pretending to be a friend out of political benefit and those who would remain a friend regardless. I used to think I had quite a few friends in this game, now that I've resigned from the FCC I'm left wondering if I've formed any real friendships throughout my time in CN.

It's a quandary when that happens, to be sure. But in all honesty, a lot of the bonds I developed before my extended leave from this game were easy enough to mend and get back up to speed once I came back.

Also, lennox, one of these days Im gonna invite myself to that bar meeting.

What the $%&@?

Nobody !@#$@#$ invites me to anything.

Well usually you just show up uninvited, I'm pretty sure theyre all waiting for you to drag your sorry $@! over without being babied.

Edited by Chron

As a matter of principle I will never ever meet anybody from CN in real life. First and foremost, it's just too damn weird. Second of all, if I met half the people I like in this game in real life, I probably wouldn't like them anymore. The biggest !@#$-talker on the internet could be the biggest !@#$% in real life.

As a matter of principle I will never ever meet anybody from CN in real life. First and foremost, it's just too damn weird. Second of all, if I met half the people I like in this game in real life, I probably wouldn't like them anymore. The biggest !@#$-talker on the internet could be the biggest !@#$% in real life.

You'd like me :wub:

Once I know a bit about someone's rl, and if they're cool, which most of the time they are, I try to stay connected and make sure they're doing alright. But for the most part, I put a little distance between me and others.

I have a CN friend who keeps trying to get me on the phone so we can strategize and I'm like "Noooo way". Great guy, but too close. I don't even like talking to the friends I have in town on the phone.

How about this:

Would you go to a regional meeting of CN players?