Athens Announcement regarding Ni!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athens_flag.jpg

ATHENS ANNOUNCEMENT

First, that's a mighty spiffy flag right thar. Always liked it, always will.

There is no difference, morally speaking, between attacking a single nation without his consent, and attacking 5 nations, or 10 nations, or 15 nations, or even 39 nations. In any of these cases, what you are doing is initiating a combative interaction with another person without his consent. This is generally an accepted behavior on Bob, because without it, the vast majority of wars would have never happened. Since enjoyment of war is quite widespread on this little globe of ours, it is hypocrisy of the highest order to condemn someone for making the first move of aggression in any circumstance, because you are attacking the causes of something you enjoy, most probably to gain some political advantage for yourself.

Good attempt at deflection, but no. People aren't annoyed that you're raiding (at least, not the ones with half a brain). People are annoyed because you and your alliance 1) did not post an official declaration of war to notify the Cyberverse at large that you were launching an alliance-wide action against a foreign power and 2) are attacking ally of a friendly power which you are closely tied to. In short, people are annoyed because you did something stupid.

In my view, what is fundamentally more important to wars is not the way in which they are begun, but the way in which they are conducted. Most of the grief that has come out of war in this realm has done so because people attempt to utterly crush their opponents, to wipe them out of the world, to prevent them from ever possibly threatening to do the same thing to them. This destroys nations. It destroys the enjoyment of nation rulers and they depart this world, often never to return. Curbstomps are less enjoyable for those who initiate them, as well as for those who are on the receiving end, compared to more even wars.

This is the equivalent to attempting to justify a mugging/stabbing by patting your victim on the head after the act is completed and allowing them to go on down the street to the hospital.

Tech raiding, when it is properly conducted, is nothing more than an invitation to engage in a reasonably even war. The reason that tech raiding does not normally have the explicit backing of the alliance is to prevent overwhelming advantages of numbers from building up and making any tech raid into a curb stomp or threat of one. Is war itself, of any kind, necessarily wrong? Or is it one of the most meaningful types of interactions we can have in this world, far more so than monotonous exchanges of cash for technology or quests for fixed resource trades? People do not die in this realm, soldiers can be bought back instantly. The only thing that really matters in the end is the enjoyment of the nation ruler, and I feel that reasonably fair contests of skill and strength provide for this admirably.

This paragraph is essentially filler and garbage which doesn't contribute to addressing the core issues at all.

I am not happy with the state of things, where war is demonized at all times but pursued to the utter destruction of foes, with white peace even after weeks and weeks of beating being seen as 'merciful'. Is this more civilized than honorable raiding? I do not think it is.

Sure it is. You get to actually notify an alliance, their allies, your allies and everyone else who might have a problem by making an official declaration. It's called respect. It's a shame you're not happy with showing it. Then again, you did go on and on about the horrible way you were treated previously and how you weren't respected blah blah blah. There was that h-word you used in here somewhere...

It has been brought to my attention that there exists vast and widespread social disapproval of the recent raid made by Athens and Federation of Buccaneers upon Knights of Ni! I feel that much of this disapproval is fundamentally rooted in the desire to gain social or political advantage, but I do accept it as the dominant paradigm. In recognition of this, I can assure all of Planet Bob that Athens will no longer be engaging in tech raids of any kind on nations that occupy an affiliation which is recognized and listed by the world itself. We do not have the strength or the support to gain acceptance for our worldview, which is that limited conflict is good and healthy but striving for the utter destruction of foes is bad and wrong.

This, honestly, is a pretty good attempt to play the victim and actually does a decent amount of justice to the concept. On one hand you and Athens are all proud of what you've done, but you're humble enough to bow to the evil forces who are calling you out on your nonsense and change your policies in the future without actually using the words "I'm sorry". Good for you, Londo. You're now the victim of being oppressed by the masses who don't want to see your alliance showing up and stealing their stuff. Call me if you need a shoulder to cry on.

We invite the Knights of Ni! to discuss this issue with us government to government if they would seek redress for our actions.

You could have done that officially with a declaration of war and avoided this mess. Then again, I wouldn't have been able to laugh at your bumbling for yet another time.

Thank you, and good day.

No, Londo, thank you. This has been a wonderful experience. Let's do this again some time.

Indeed. Here we all are condemning the condemning of the condemning. You're turn to condemn the condemning of the condemning of the condemning. :huh:

Now you truly understand Planet Bob.

also he did actually DoW on AG http://www.cybernations.net/search_wars.as...&Extended=1

Dumb move imo

The only thing that really matters in the end is the enjoyment of the nation ruler, and I feel that reasonably fair contests of skill and strength provide for this admirably.

I get this. I often find my self stealing lunch money from elementary school children. I feel picking on a target a 5th of my size is a reasonably fair contest of skill and strength. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of it too; and although the children may be crying whilst I raid their lunch funds, I think, deep down, they enjoy it as well.

All I see in this annoucement is that Athens is not sorry for what it has done. It doesn't care that they attacked a sovreign alliance that was much weaker than them, and that you are only making this annoucement out of fear.

Stand by your beliefs! If you don't think what you did was wrong, then stand by it, and don't back down with your tails between your legs out of cowardice.

I lost a lot of respect for Athens after what they did last night, but if they had stood by it they would have gained respect. This act of cowardice makes me lose any and all respect I ever had for Athens.

Edited by Kaiser

I can assure all of Planet Bob that Athens will no longer be engaging in tech raids of any kind on nations that occupy an affiliation which is recognized and listed by the world itself.

I approve.

This is the endorsement you've been waiting for. :P

I get this. I often find my self stealing lunch money from elementary school children. I feel picking on a target a 5th of my size is a reasonably fair contest of skill and strength. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of it too; and although the children may be crying whilst I raid their lunch funds, I think, deep down, they enjoy it as well.

Yeah, because "life is a game".

Tech raiding, when it is properly conducted, is nothing more than an invitation to engage in a reasonably even war.

You call this an even sided war? Your alliance alone, never mind FoB, is five times the size of the Knights of Ni!, and having three nations on all of them.....how is this even remotely even? And that is ignoring the rest of your fallacious statement.

You call this an even sided war? Your alliance alone, never mind FoB, is five times the size of the Knights of Ni!, and having three nations on all of them.....how is this even remotely even? And that is ignoring the rest of your fallacious statement.

You and KPCurly have officially won this thread. Congrats. Also hi hyperion, first nation you linked to was mine being raided. Slighty funny, but odd nonetheless.