Poaching from our ranks- NSO

I only read the first ten or so pages, but from this last page it seems it went from luls to srs over the course of eight hours.

What's the problem? Someone sent out recruiting messages. Big woop. If they were going to stay in your alliance anyway, they'd ignore the messages. You're losing someone who might potentially bail out in a tough situation to go join the Sith, who probably has no inclination of attacking you anyway. Why you'd consider poaching an act of war is beyond me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those in favor of "allowing" recruiting from alliances, when does the line get crossed?

Does talking to your members on IRC in an attempt to get them to leave their alliance cross it? Or does no such line ever exist?

The line gets crossed when a weaker alliance recruits from a stronger alliance (in terms of NS and treaties)

You should know that in CN, might makes right. You've been playing long enough.

What's the problem? Someone sent out recruiting messages. Big woop. If they were going to stay in your alliance anyway, they'd ignore the messages. You're losing someone who might potentially bail out in a tough situation to go join the Sith, who probably has no inclination of attacking you anyway. Why you'd consider poaching an act of war is beyond me.

So you don't mind alliances recruiting from you?

Edited by CptGodzilla

I think what we are seeing is an attempt to change what the public perceives as insulting. Ultimately, it's not up to whether the NSO thinks it's an insult to poach members like this. It's up to the alliances in question to stand up for this, and if they fail to do so, well, it's on them.

I am curious what back channels they are referring to, as well as examples of this hostility and disrespect. I am wondering if the hostility and disrespect actually occurred in the back channels, or if it occurred elsewhere where parties that wouldn't necessarily have been involved were involved? Also, I highly doubt that Doppelganger confirmed that this was an act of war. Knowing the leadership of NSO, if it were to be an act of war they'd actually be shooting. That statement smacks of hyperbole and an overwrought appeal to emotion, to be honest.

I've reviewed what I assume are the actual back channel discussions, and I'm having a hard time finding anything other than people sticking to their guns firmly in some instances, and frank discussion throughout. Perhaps I am missing something.

Here is a quote from one of the IRC discussions.

02:57 Heft The messages in this instance were authorized

02:57 Roo[GOP] So you're asserting that they were, indeed, authorized acts of aggression?

02:57 shaneprice[GGA] And why would the NSO authorize such a message?

02:58 Heft THey were an attempt to inform nations of some of the choices they may have beyond simple neutrality

02:58 shaneprice[GGA] The recruitment messages were directed towards sovereign alliances...

02:58 RudeBoy well, evidently you're the only ones to perceive it that way

02:58 Heft Neutral alliances

02:59 Roo[GOP] that doesn't address the fact that poaching allied nations is an act of aggression

We have logs of all of the discussions held. Hope that helps.

RMarx

Edited by RMarx

Here is a quote from one of the IRC discussions.

02:57 Heft The messages in this instance were authorized

02:57 Roo[GOP] So you're asserting that they were, indeed, authorized acts of aggression?

02:57 shaneprice[GGA] And why would the NSO authorize such a message?

02:58 Heft THey were an attempt to inform nations of some of the choices they may have beyond simple neutrality

02:58 shaneprice[GGA] The recruitment messages were directed towards sovereign alliances...

02:58 RudeBoy well, evidently you're the only ones to perceive it that way

02:58 Heft Neutral alliances

02:59 Roo[GOP] that doesn't address the fact that poaching allied nations is an act of aggression

We have logs of all of the discussions held. Hope that helps.

RMarx

I'm not seeing where there was an admission that this was an act of aggression. I see accusations of it being an act of aggression. It seems that people are putting words into NSO leadership's mouths here.

This is poor form. Poaching, is one thing, but degrading the alliance you're poaching from in the PM's isn't exactly dignified behaviour.

And for those spouting the "if they were swayed by this then they shouldn't be members" or "we're doing TDO a favour by removing their members who are interested in war" justification, what gives any alliance the right to decide if another should have a particular type of member? It's up to TDO to decide whether their even bothered by any perceived lack of commitment or interest in war in their ranks, let alone whether they want to do anything about it.

As for trying to lure neutrals with the option "to wage war" - who exactly are NSO planning to use all of the former neutrals to wage war on?

So you don't mind alliances recruiting from you?

It's the official Sith international pastime to try to turn us to the Dark Side. What kind of question is that? Those susceptible to falling are generally not good candidates to be Jedi.

I'm not seeing where there was an admission that this was an act of aggression. I see accusations of it being an act of aggression. It seems that people are putting words into NSO leadership's mouths here.

I am not entirely sure why he posted that but it may have been in reference to this part of your post -

as examples of this hostility and disrespect.

Apologies, I misunderstood what you wanted; I thought you didn't believe the poaching was sanctioned by NSO gov.

I would like to take this moment to once again applaud the GOP. They handled the situation well considering they are far smaller than TDO. Despite the difference in size (and, therefore, military might) they came to us in private channels and earned an apology, rather than trying to grandstand for political points.

Edited by New Frontier

Apologies, I misunderstood what you wanted; I thought you didn't believe the poaching was sanctioned by NSO gov.

I already know the message sent was sent with the permission of the NSO government. I am speaking to the mischaracterization of the NSO has being hostile and disrespectful - which leads to the greater point of why GOP has gotten an apology from NSO but TDO hasn't. NSO has acknowledged the poor judgement shown in sending out the messages. No one can deny the disrespectful nature of that message. I am disputing that NSO acted as they have been portrayed to act in the back channel discussions after the message was sent out, and I am disputing that they admitted that this was an act of war against anyone.

I will make it short as i care less who pissed of whom, who said this or that and i think some old guy from NPO explained this in detail already:

There is only one good reason for war the wellfare of a Sphere.

I watched GPA dying and Green becoming a wasteland, it will never happen in Aqua.

Edited by Steelrat

It seems from the outset that at the least, TDO tried to go to NSO's government but everyone just put on their funny moustaches and pointed to someone else.

Poaching in itself may not be a cause for war but who can honestly say that the messages were not outright slander? It's not just the poaching I would imagine but the very intentional insults dealt against the alliances they were poaching from. TDO is not asking to go to war they are asking for an apology. War would only be considered after diplomacy failed I am sure (if war was considered at all).

I do not truly believe that most alliances would be alright with an alliance messaging every single one of their nations ridiculing their current alliance in an attempt to recruit them. I think most alliances would be very angry.

I agree that nations that actually switched in response to the messages are better off gone but that does not change the palpable insult that accompanies poaching from another alliance especially en masse.

I would like to take this moment to once again applaud the GOP. They handled the situation well considering they are far smaller than TDO. Despite the difference in size (and, therefore, military might) they came to us in private channels and earned an apology, rather than trying to grandstand for political points.

... And received snarky, sarcastic comments from you guys after sending out the oh-so-sincere apology.

So, TDO has issued an ultimatum, and NSO seems unwilling to aquiesce. While Moldavi has yet to make any form of public address, at least one member of NSO has point-blank stated that there will be no apology forthcoming. I am curious as to the what the implied "or else" in TDO's ultimatum will amount to.

Sum of funnys was increased due to irony factor.

I don't see this "irony" you speak of.

So I haven't read the entire thread...has the apology demand accepted? If it hasn't till now, I'd be bit surprised if it came at all then.

What cards does neutral menace has to play?

I'm enjoying the change from the peanut gallery :lol1:

Edited by shahenshah