Question about the ODN

Starbuck

You know this new GOONS alliance may have a different name and therefore some claim to being a new alliance. What everyone has missed so far is that this new alliance has accepted "old" GOONS nations that we were/are at war with. These nations have never surrendered but have been hiding in peace mode.
For Christ's sake it's been nearly 2 years. Time to let it go.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know this new GOONS alliance may have a different name and therefore some claim to being a new alliance. What everyone has missed so far is that this new alliance has accepted "old" GOONS nations that we were/are at war with. These nations have never surrendered but have been hiding in peace mode. Now that they are out they are putting this new "GOONS" alliance at risk. They should do the honourable thing and surrender, seek peace and then join this new alliance with no old baggage. Failing that they are putting this new GOONS alliance at risk of war at any time. Now I expect the test will be to see if this new alliance seeks terms for these members through diplomatic channels or they thumb their nose at everyone. Planet Bob promises to be such an interesting place in the next few months.

This is incorrect. None of the "old" GOONS in this alliance are in any way, shape, or form at war with the ODN. They had all surrendered or re-rolled prior to joining this alliance. I suggest you read the threads on our boards where these concerns have already been addressed.

You know this new GOONS alliance may have a different name and therefore some claim to being a new alliance. What everyone has missed so far is that this new alliance has accepted "old" GOONS nations that we were/are at war with. These nations have never surrendered but have been hiding in peace mode. Now that they are out they are putting this new "GOONS" alliance at risk. They should do the honourable thing and surrender, seek peace and then join this new alliance with no old baggage. Failing that they are putting this new GOONS alliance at risk of war at any time. Now I expect the test will be to see if this new alliance seeks terms for these members through diplomatic channels or they thumb their nose at everyone. Planet Bob promises to be such an interesting place in the next few months.

We have been asking any applicant to our alliance to speak to any alliance they may still be at war with in order to gain peace.

If you know of a nation that have failed to do so, please let us know and we will look into the matter.

Once more I urge anyone who feels that our alliance has a member who is on their war list to let us know. Please don't take this as me expecting the world to come to me. It's just that I don't know there is a problem until people tell me.

Hey, can we get more generic accusations without any supporting facts? I love that kind of thing.

in defense of IRON here: people are making it sound like they were intimately involved in the planning of the formation of GOONS.

While we obviously very much appreciate IRON's willingness to acknowledge peace with us, thus helping us to escape the sins of our namesakes, They were not complicit in our plans more than in essentially saying "OK, we don't mind".

The fault for ODN not knowing lies with us. As far as IRON knew, we had (and we certainly should have) approached all alliances who were on the opposite side of the UJW from the original GOONS to let them know our intentions. I have apologized to ODN before for our oversight here, and I do so again now.

This was our screwup, not IRON's.

Thank you for the apology and as far as I'm concerned it is accepted and it is much appreciated.

Regarding IRON, I disagree. Say what you say, we were in the war against GOONS together, they should have approached us about this before peacing out and recognizing you as a different alliance. They completely ignored our opinion on the matter, and that was the whole problem on our part.

Thank you for the apology and as far as I'm concerned it is accepted and it is much appreciated.

Regarding IRON, I disagree. Say what you say, we were in the war against GOONS together, they should have approached us about this before peacing out and recognizing you as a different alliance. They completely ignored our opinion on the matter, and that was the whole problem on our part.

IRON did not "peace out" with us. Get over it.

Well this seems to be going well :lol:

This is an entirely retarded statement. You will receive the same measure of decency you show towards us, but other than your leadership acknowledging that we are not at war, ODN's membership has shown no amount of decency. The tl;dr on my posts states that we intend to follow SA's rules, something that the Order of Neutral Shoving did not do. Not only that, but there are 30,037 current active nations in the world, versus 120,421 users total on SA. Idiotic claims that everyone on SA must be exactly the same, especially when some of the more prominent people you have grievances against, such as banned member, did not get SA accounts until after they joined GOONS, just goes to show why all of CN apparently think ODN is a joke - you hate without reason or fact checking.

Well not all of us are being outright hostile :D, best of luck GOONS ;)

Edited by Cataduanes

This is incorrect. None of the "old" GOONS in this alliance are in any way, shape, or form at war with the ODN. They had all surrendered or re-rolled prior to joining this alliance. I suggest you read the threads on our boards where these concerns have already been addressed.

Merlin does do his homework and if he says this is the case then I would tend to believe him. I was under the impression there were two old nations that had joined the new alliance from peace mode. Or was it there are only two old GOONS nations period. Memory is the second thing to go when you get old, and I forget what the first thing is. My apologies for not checking the details more thoroughly before posting.

Well not all of us are being outright hostile :D, best of luck GOONS ;)

You I like :)

Merlin does do his homework and if he says this is the case then I would tend to believe him. I was under the impression there were two old nations that had joined the new alliance from peace mode. Or was it there are only two old GOONS nations period. Memory is the second thing to go when you get old, and I forget what the first thing is. My apologies for not checking the details more thoroughly before posting.

Of the two nations on the first page that are in peace mode, one has been flying the AA for a week without anyone mentioning to me that they're at war with him.

The other was an ODN member that came to GOONS.

It'd be one thing if you saw familiar names and thought they might be still at war. Your idiotic reasoning was that they were in peace mode and in the Goon Order of Oppression Negligence and Sadism. Seriously, quit embarrassing yourself.

Edited by salithus

I apologize for the confusion about the relationship between the new GOONS and the ODN in this thread. The Order of Neutral Shoving betrayed our alliance in a way that can never be forgotten. Many of our less active members who have little or no experience with GOONS anywhere besides cybernations saw the tag GOONS and immediately became concerned. Even amongst those who are more informed there has been a certain level of consternation. I hope you understand that the isolated outbursts here are the result of miscommunication and misunderstanding and are not representative of the alliance's opinion.

I apologize for the confusion about the relationship between the new GOONS and the ODN in this thread. The Order of Neutral Shoving betrayed our alliance in a way that can never be forgotten. Many of our less active members who have little or no experience with GOONS anywhere besides cybernations saw the tag GOONS and immediately became concerned. Even amongst those who are more informed there has been a certain level of consternation. I hope you understand that the isolated outbursts here are the result of miscommunication and misunderstanding and are not representative of the alliance's opinion.

No worries. You I like too, and over here we're used to having an unruly bunch of members posting their feelings without it representing the alliance as a whole. If it's not a government member posting, we don't view it as reflective of the alliance's stance.

It'd be one thing if you saw familiar names and thought they might be still at war. Your idiotic reasoning was that they were in peace mode and in the Goon Order of Oppression Negligence and Sadism. Seriously, quit embarrassing yourself.

I believe he meant to say that they joined GOONS from peace mode. This does not necessarily imply that they are still in peace mode. I do think the familiar names may have had something to do with it.

honestly, even if it is a government member, don't take it as our stance. Sometimes Sal drinks.

Actually I haven't been recently [OOC: bought my parents' house in February and been busy getting settled in], but I definitely need to start that again. Nothing better than politicking under the influence :v:

Actually I haven't been recently [OOC: bought my parents' house in February and been busy getting settled in], but I definitely need to start that again. Nothing better than politicking under the influence :v:

Come by my bar some time and have one on the house. (After that you pay in dongs or herring)

I am quite confident if Goons lose their second chance, they lose it by their own doing. ODN is giving them the benefit of the doubt, otherwise the Goons would not be at peace with us right now.

The ODN is giving the new GOONS the benefit of the doubt because they have no choice. You're options are to either 1. Accept the new GOONS or 2. Declare war and watch your alliance dismantled by Polar, who will deny it publicly but would probably be happy to do so. Your position on the matter is literally not a factor.

From the perspective of many ordinary ODNers, it is not so much a question of 'threat' as a question of basic consideration and routine information sharing. IRON government was involved in discussions to bring a successor GOONS alliance to Bob and share in its protection, however different it might be from old GOONS (and ODN government has recognized that it is indeed different), without bothering to mention this to its supposedly close friends and allies in ODN. This struck many as a sign that the relationship with ODN is of little consequence to those running IRON. GGA was also involved in the discussions and also neglected to inform ODN. They have since come before the ODN General Assembly at a very senior level to apologize for this lapse. No such consideration from IRON. So which of those two alliances do you think ODN GA members considers the one that values its relationship with ODN more? With which of these two alliances do you think ordinary ODNers want to continue a relationship?

When you view someone as an equal you treat them as an equal. You talk to them evenly and share information and strategy. When you view someone like a subservient, or a pet project, then treat them as such. IRON never deemed fit to keep the ODN informed because they have never viewed you as important enough to bother.

The irony coming out in this war really is incredible. I am half tempted to post the logs where IRON and NPO leadership chew me out for refusing to drop the ODN treaty and complain that the ODN isn't sharing information about the GOONS with IRON, only with Polar. It's one of my favorite log files.

Edited by RandomInterrupt

The irony coming out in this war really is incredible. I am half tempted to post the logs where IRON and NPO leadership chew me out for refusing to drop the ODN treaty and complain that the ODN isn't sharing information about the GOONS with IRON, only with Polar. It's one of my favorite log files.

Oh I think you should do that immediately.

I do hope the fact that Polaris holds a protectorate treaty with these "new Goons" also factors into your decision. We're here to give them the benefit of the doubt as well, and I'd hate to see them lose their chance over old prejudices. This level of hostility towards a name is rather foolish, if you ask me.

I agree. LW plays a good deal in that.

Nothing better than politicking under the influence :v:

I spent most of my government time politicking after several hours drinking during the weekend, so I totally agree.

This too I would think to be delicious bits of IRONy

There's even more irony, of course, in that chat IRON and the NPO told me that the ODN would abandon us and that I should drop them now. I informed them that such a thing was impossible and our bond was too tight for such a thing to occur. You did so within a few months in order to re-align yourself to IRON and One Vision. Just sayin'.

There's even more irony, of course, in that chat IRON and the NPO told me that the ODN would abandon us and that I should drop them now. I informed them that such a thing was impossible and our bond was too tight for such a thing to occur. You did so within a few months in order to re-align yourself to IRON and One Vision. Just sayin'.

Ha ha. That deserved a chuckle.