The IC/OOC line

Chunky Monkey

As spawned from TWiP here: http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=53435

How far can we go IC before it becomes an OOC attack? What kind of names simply make no sense IC? Ive seen my fair share of OOC attacks, and Im not entirely sure. We try to avoid the topic because its touchy and some people get offended. Im hoping we can have a civil discussion here about this issue. Some people use thier OOC traits to gain an IC advantage, some people get offended when called certain things, and some people claim thier OOC attacks are actually IC. You can substitue "Bilrow" for "some people" if you want, as he fits in there pretty well. But where do we draw the line? When is it ok to demand an apology/punish a player for his/her words?

Edited by Chunk Monkey

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly a complicated question, but in context, it should be evident to anybody when they have crossed the line. If I call a friend something nasty in jest, it is fine. If I call a stranger something nasty to be malicious, then it is not fine. Trying to define an actual line is almost impossible, as there are exceptions. Instead of trying to make some kind of arbitrary line, people need to use their heads more. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and that should be pretty evident. If something is questionable, don't say it. The attempted lawyering of this arbitrary line just serves as a smoke and mirrors tactic to avoid having to apologize.

Some people use thier OOC traits to gain an IC advantage,

Interesting topic - I've seen some good private discussions on the above topic in relation to alliance leaders but I'm not touching this topic with a 10 foot pole! :lol:

Interesting topic - I've seen some good private discussions on the above topic in relation to alliance leaders but I'm not touching this topic with a 10 foot pole! :lol:

how about 15? I might be able to get one.

Also, I definitely know that CN and RL don't always agree. I meant it shouldnt work that way, not that it doesnt.

when it resorts to name calling that goes to far.

it depends on the realtionship of the person and or thier alliance.

perfect example, LOSS and Goons went at it on the black team forums but no one cared because it was expected.

Might does not make right.

If by "right" you mean "morality", yes.

But this is a game. Morality is just something that gets in the way of our lulz. GB2 RL.

On topic, where is the line? Its right next to the hammer. OOC attacks are simply a useful part of this game. Like them or not, they are just another tool in the toolbox of the lulzy. Without OOC attacks, how would anything good come out of it? You'd make every 24 page thread into a 4 page thread. You'd kill the drama.

For clarification, see sig.

Whatever a leading alliance wants to be. So far I haven't seen much from the moderation team. Seems that they really don't want to make a decision about this issue, which is understandable as it would be incredibly hard to enforce and whatnot, but at the same time it seems as if it's endorsing a "server-police" mindset.

I think a better question is "Why can't we all just try to stay away from borderline stuff?".

But why is it relevant? Why are people getting their panties in a nod over something somebody said to them over the internet? God forbid they get insulted by someone in reallife. God forbid.

It's certainly a complicated question, but in context, it should be evident to anybody when they have crossed the line. If I call a friend something nasty in jest, it is fine. If I call a stranger something nasty to be malicious, then it is not fine. Trying to define an actual line is almost impossible, as there are exceptions. Instead of trying to make some kind of arbitrary line, people need to use their heads more. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and that should be pretty evident. If something is questionable, don't say it. The attempted lawyering of this arbitrary line just serves as a smoke and mirrors tactic to avoid having to apologize.

Agree with this.