Communiqué from the Office of Nuclear Polariferation

Ya, I had a confused feeling about this one too. I mean technically since they authorize full nuclear use during a defensive war, that bit of the policy would apply to anyone they hold a defensive treaty with, which gets activated.
Article I states our willingness to utilize nuclear first strikes in any conflict should the Emperor deem it necessary instead of all the time, every time because we well realize there may be times when nuclear warfare is either unjustified or untenable. This stance, however, at least in my eyes leads to a small amount of uncertainty about our future course of action in terms of nuclear weapon usage in the various potential war scenarios that people like to bandy about.

With this in mind, what Article II does is remove that uncertainty in two very specific cases by preemptively stating that should either the New Polar Order or the Siberian Tiger Alliance find itself as the victim of a war of aggression, then it should automatically be assumed both internally and externally that we will respond with our full nuclear arsenal without hesitation, and without remorse.

However, this also shows you just how close STA and NpO are, that they mention them by name in an internal policy.

We do love our tigers. :wub:

Edited by Fallen_Fool

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took this piece of legislation into my bunkers and read it to each of my twenty nukes. Then we all sat in silent contemplation of the awesomness of it.

Now I seem to have growth I didn't have before snuggling nuclear weapons.

Hmmm...probably a coincidence.

Congrats guys on the nuclear milestone. You guys sure your not going to apply to Citadel soon? All these stat hording is turning me on.

Also, policy makes sense in these times. The old days of not useing nukes has long since died out.

This is definetly a policy that I can get behind.

However, I think MK stated it best in one of their nation's bios some time ago (during the War of the Coalition, I think it might have been Jeoh), with something to the effect of:

The quote is from Miles Vorkosigan, who unfortunately isn't amongst us any more.

It confuses me. For such a long time, it has been "Don't use nukes" and stuff like that, and now people applaud policies like this?

Albeit, congratulations on your achievement.

The game changes, yo. Nuclear warfare used to be catastrophic. Nations have gotten bigger, and as such nukes have gotten smaller. It doesn't hurt as much to get hit by a nuke now, as it did in 2006 simply because aid, nations, and support are so much more sophisticated.

It confuses me. For such a long time, it has been "Don't use nukes" and stuff like that, and now people applaud policies like this?

Albeit, congratulations on your achievement.

I can see your point, but in my case I have always beleived that the hue and cry over nukes was silly. They are a tool of war and should be used as needed

I'd be quiet about your nuclear legislation, if I were in you guys of the Kingdom.

This is all.

(Excuse me if I post this in public: it's in the hope of helping your alliance mates also.)

Oh, I'm not terribly concerned. We have no nuclear legislation. We only have common sense. The New Pacific Order instilled in us a strong understand that it is not in our best interests to first strike with nuclear weaponry. We respect that, and shall abide by it peacefully. Now if a nuke lands in my front lawn? There'll be hell to pay. And I don't think anyone would argue that.

Congrats on the milestone. I don't really see the point of the doctrine but I did have a question on it. Why not make it for all of your allies instead of just the STA?

We happen to be very close to STA. I don't know if the prospect of 2000 nukes raining on your alliance actually does anything to deter attacks, but if it does we all wanted STA to fall under the same umbrella. Not all of our other allies would want us launching first strike nukes in their defense thus bringing about a full-scale nuclear war for both of us. In those cases, instead of an intent clause we left the decision to go nuclear up to the discretion of our Emperor.

Forgive my ignorance but did the New Polar Order not reserve the right to first strike in the past (as in did you have a policy in place forbidding a first strike?).

That is so. Our policy before was not to initiate first strike nuclear attacks but to retaliate with full nuclear force. Now it is up to the discretion of the Emperor. We intend to use our nukes specifically in the case of defensive wars involving NpO or STA.

Edited by Penguin

POLARNUKE2.png

A little over two months ago, the New Polar Order emerged from a losing war and four months of rather harsh surrender terms. We squeaked our way back to sanction status while paying off 100,000 in tech to our attackers, and managed to do it all before the surrender terms expired. Nevertheless, by the end of terms we were left with a tech-less upper tier, 6 Manhattan Projects, 5 or so other nuclear capable nations, and 50 nuclear weapons between us. We hardly felt secure.

It was under these circumstances that the Nuclear Polariferation project was initiated. In a little over 2 months, we have reached our initial goal. The New Polar Order has grown from 6 to 116 Manhattan Projects and from 50 to over 2000 nuclear weapons, a number that exceeds what we took with us to war.

Upon reaching this milestone, we re-examined our existing nuclear policy which forbid nuclear first strikes. We realized that it was both outdated and negated the effective deterrent of our above average nuclear arsenal. While we do not intend to use our stockpile aggressively, we will use our nuclear weapons without hesitation if attacked. Here is our updated Nuclear Doctrine:

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

First strike nukes?

You better believe I love that.

That is so. Our policy before was not to initiate first strike nuclear attacks but to retaliate with full nuclear force. Now it is up to the discretion of the Emperor. We intend to use our nukes specifically in the case of defensive wars involving NpO or STA.

A wise decision, I hope your emperor never has to make that decision but when he comes to make weights up all the pros and cons. An excellent policy :)

Forgive my ignorance but did the New Polar Order not reserve the right to first strike in the past (as in did you have a policy in place forbidding a first strike?).

This was my policy following our abrogation of the so-called 'Think of the Children' pact. We only enacted it in our engagement against FAN during my tenure, and then only because we knew we'd be getting nuked anyway. I never was a big fan of the big red button. It was a misguided prejudice from a bygone age.