Name of the War Final Poll

Smitty256

Name of the War Final Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What should the name of the this Global War be called?

• Herogasm War (the current name of it)
    • The Great Awakening
    • The SDI War
    • BiPolar 2: Electron's Boogaloo
    • The 18th War of Argent Relevancy
    • A Christmas Miracle

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/2023 at 05:59 AM

UPDATE

Here are the updated rules. 
This poll will be allowed to run its course. I have set it so that you may choose multiple options. You may only choose 3 though. For a name to win, it has to get over 50% of the vote. If no name receives more than 50% of the vote, the top 2 names will go to a run off election. 

-----------------------------------

This is so that we may vote on each one of the names suggested for the war. I will have the poll end on 12/31/2022 at 11:59 PM so that we may enter the new year with the official name of the war. 

The names that have been seconded in the Name of the War Nomination Poll thread are:

Herogasm War

The Great Awakening 

The SDI War

BiPolar 2: Electron's Boogaloo

The 18th War of Argent Relevancy

A Christmas Miracle 

Edited by Smitty256
Updated the rules. Ranked Choice Voting essentially.

22 minutes ago, Sarkin said:

Only one person said BiPolar 2; including it seems like a pretty transparent attempt to split the vote given the first-past-the-post voting system being used.

Smitty literally put his own option in at the last minute and voted for it, so I feel pretty confident that he wasn’t trying to split the vote. Regardless, I agree with jerdge that the two options should be combined for votes because they’re essentially the same name. 

14 minutes ago, firingline said:

If no option has over 50%, there should be a runoff between the top 2 options.

Simple.

That’s stupid because this is just a popularity contest, and the most popular name will be the one with the most votes. It’s really simple, and I think it’s funny that some people are transparently trying to find ways to avoid one option winning, even though it isn’t even in the lead right now, as of this post. 

10 minutes ago, lilweirdward said:

That’s stupid because this is just a popularity contest, and the most popular name will be the one with the most votes. It’s really simple, and I think it’s funny that some people are transparently trying to find ways to avoid one option winning, even though it isn’t even in the lead right now, as of this post. 

FL isn't exactly reinventing the wheel here. You might not be familiar with them, but there are a *lot* of arguments against first-past-the-post voting systems, and there are a lot of alternate voting systems used elsewhere (OOC: and even increasingly in the U.S.) as a result. 

That said, it's more effort to have a runoff (and a lot more effort to have a ranked-choice voting system or something like that), so given how low the stakes of this vote are, I'm fine with neither of those things happening in practice. 

Edited by Sarkin

6 minutes ago, Sarkin said:

FL isn't exactly reinventing the wheel here. You might not be familiar with them, but there are a *lot* of arguments against first-past-the-post voting systems, and there are a lot of alternate voting systems used elsewhere (OOC: and even increasingly in the U.S.) as a result. 

That said, it's more effort to have a runoff (and a lot more effort to have a ranked-choice voting system or something like that), so given how low the stakes of this vote are, I'm fine with neither of those things happening in practice. 

Lol yes I am aware of alternate voting systems and why they’re better than FPTP for things like political elections. But, like you said, this is nothing remotely that consequential, both in terms of the options themselves and the outcome when one option is declared the “most popular.” 

1 hour ago, Sarkin said:

Only one person said BiPolar 2; including it seems like a pretty transparent attempt to split the vote given the first-past-the-post voting system being used.

Perhaps we just do a run-off vote after? I personally prefer we do one should no name get past the 50% threshold.

Edited by Andrewb610

21 minutes ago, lilweirdward said:

Lol yes I am aware of alternate voting systems and why they’re better than FPTP for things like political elections. But, like you said, this is nothing remotely that consequential, both in terms of the options themselves and the outcome when one option is declared the “most popular.” 

It takes virtually no effort to do this properly.

If one option gets over 50%, then it wins. If not, do a poll for the top 2 options. Simple. There's literally no argument against doing it this way besides "I really want Herogasm to win, and by effectively splitting 2/3rds of CN among many oppositions to my preferred name, it allows a minority to support Herogasm."

Edited by firingline

This was clearly a mistake. I try and make make a bipartisan effort to pick a name of the war that most everyone can agree on and y'all are arguing over it. 

F*ck anyone that doesn't like the name "Herogasm". The name of the war is going to stay that. Anyone that tries to change the name of the war on the wiki will find that I am going make sure it stays Herogasm. The polling is now closed. Thanks for nothing.

24 minutes ago, JadenStar10 said:

My suggestion of "BiPolar 2" was a shorthand way of agreeing with " BiPolar 2: Electron's Boogaloo", didnt realize someone would differentiate the two.

I think combining those 2 is reasonable. I'm with Jerdge on that one.

That being said, calm down @Smitty256 - a week with the muzzle off and you're already losing it. The poll is a good idea, and you can't close it down now because it's not going the way you want. If the community decides the war is not named Herogasm, then you won't get very far trying to override that.

2 minutes ago, firingline said:

I think combining those 2 is reasonable. I'm with Jerdge on that one.

That being said, calm down @Smitty256 - a week with the muzzle off and you're already losing it. The poll is a good idea, and you can't close it down now because it's not going the way you want. If the community decides the war is not named Herogasm, then you won't get very far trying to override that.

F*ck off Firingline. I am not going to sit here and get berated for trying to do something bipartisan. 

I laid out very f*cking clearly in the Name of the War Nomination thread what the rules were. 

If you wanted to nominate a name, it needed to be seconded by someone else. It is not my f*cking problem if no one nominates a name. Or if the name you nominate isn't seconded. 

17 minutes ago, Smitty256 said:

that tries to change the name of the war on the wiki will find that I am going make sure it stays Herogasm.

Look who's vying for another wiki ban! I'd suggest even suggesting you'd engage in edit warring is a bannable offense.

Weren't you the one that wanted a wiki team? Surely you should know that consensus is how decisions are made. The poll you made shows pretty clearly Herogasm isn't the consensus, or even the preferred option.

35 minutes ago, Smitty256 said:

This was clearly a mistake. I try and make make a bipartisan effort to pick a name of the war that most everyone can agree on and y'all are arguing over it. 

F*ck anyone that doesn't like the name "Herogasm". The name of the war is going to stay that. Anyone that tries to change the name of the war on the wiki will find that I am going make sure it stays Herogasm. The polling is now closed. Thanks for nothing.

Lol what a child. Why even put up a poll if you never intended to abide by it?

49 minutes ago, Smitty256 said:

BiPolar 2: Electron's Boogaloo