Using sanctions as tools of war?

Steve Buscemi

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senators and sanctions would be more relevant in today's world, not to mention teams, if the senators were given the ability to embargo an alliance on the sphere. No nation on that sphere can trade with the alliance in question. The caveat being that all three senators have to collectively sign off on that.

Then it becomes a slightly more sensible tool of war, or expression of displeasure, or a CB, whatever it needs to be.

When sanctions were used in '08, how effective was it? 

On paper I think that it could still be an effective tactic if it was combined with some well placed Gather Intels.  If an alliance could find a large number of nations in opposing alliances who had Uranium as a resource, and then sanctioned them, it would stop Nuke production for every other nation in those trade circles.  At least until the Uranium nations could change colors and reestablish trades.

If somehow the Sanctioners found 30 Uranium nations that would stop 150 nations from being able to build new nukes.  Even if it was only for a couple days turning off the Nukes of essentially an entire alliance worth of nations would hurt big time.

Z, you're still alive! D:

Hai! Now we all need now is a post from Liz and Ego and it'll be like a reunion!

Where on earth did you come from?

From a mythical place where there's no flashing queries and no obligation to join a dozen private channels every day.

The caveat being that all three senators have to collectively sign off on that.

Then it becomes a slightly more sensible tool of war, or expression of displeasure, or a CB, whatever it needs to be.

I like the idea minus your caveat. There's not a single group of senators that would all agree on who/when to use that sanction.

Edited by Letterkenny

I like the idea minus your caveat. There's not a single group of senators that would all agree on who/when to use that sanction.

If we had that caveat however, it would in my opinion work towards making color sphere politics actually amount to something. If nothing then at the very least each power-sphere would strive to get atleast one senator on the various colors, or have treaty ties to alliances that have senators.

You either become the only power sphere to own a color sphere, or you play nice with other alliances on the sphere.

If nothing it involves more effort than today and enlivens the FA some, also opens up a new thing to do and take care of.

I disagree, I believe the current group of senators on the black sphere would all agree if it was the social norm.