With Aztec in the War at this point...

[quote name='UberSpion' timestamp='1296371142' post='2610721']
[color="#800080"][font="Comic Sans MS"]It would be beneficial to Athens that you know not the overwhelming effectiveness of UPN. They can only hope that you not suddenly go for a fly by night treaty with those monsters. [/font][/color]
[/quote]
Ah, nvm then.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Veneke' timestamp='1296370025' post='2610676']
You're trying to argue that the terms of a treaty between Rok and the 57th don't apply because you only attacked the 57th. That's like saying the terms of the treaty between you and PC don't apply because we only attacked PC.
[/quote]
No. We're arguing that the terms of a treaty between Rok and the 57th don't apply [b]to Athens[/b].

[quote name='jraenar' timestamp='1296371579' post='2610736']
No. We're arguing that the terms of a treaty between Rok and the 57th don't apply [b]to Athens[/b].
[/quote]

/me scratches head

I think I've just said that, several times.

[quote name='UberSpion' timestamp='1296371970' post='2610742']
[color="#800080"][font="Comic Sans MS"]So in this situation, would Athens be the CN version of Reavers? Or would rsox be a cn version of River losing mental stability?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I dunno, Reavers usually attack you. Not just say that they're gonna do that and then not do that... Truth be told, they sound like purple bellied Alliance folk to me. :awesome:

[quote name='Veneke' timestamp='1296372101' post='2610749']
I dunno, Reavers usually attack you. Not just say that they're gonna do that and then not do that... Truth be told, they sound like purple bellied Alliance folk to me. :awesome:
[/quote]

[color="#800080"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Are you trying to say something about the great purple sphere my friend... I mean, it has spawned great things like The UPN Menace, Lolegion, and Bob Sanders...[/font][/color]

Edited by UberSpion

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1296372085' post='2610748']
[color="#0000FF"]So, PC has RoK under control, but needs the might of Athens to get 57th off its back? Sure. If you say so buddy.[/color]
[/quote]
I don't ask questions when a treaty partner asks for help. They might need us. Or they might have just forgot the beer, so they invited us because we always bring the good stuff.

[quote name='jraenar' timestamp='1296371579' post='2610736']
[/quote]

A lot of people say a lot of really stupid !@#$ around here but this.... good sir, you are the Mona Lisa of idiocy's da Vinci.

All public treaties signed by alliances apply to [i]everyone[/i]. If 2 alliances state that an attack on one is an attack on the other, then Athens, by taking the role of the attacker which that clause is referring to, is now implicitly part of their agreement. I mean sure, you can cover your ears and yell "lalalalalala" as loud as possible, but you're still gonna get it in the pooper.

[quote name='hizzy' timestamp='1296374017' post='2610807']
A lot of people say a lot of really stupid !@#$ around here but this.... good sir, you are the Mona Lisa of idiocy's da Vinci.

All public treaties signed by alliances apply to [i]everyone[/i]. If 2 alliances state that an attack on one is an attack on the other, then Athens, by taking the role of the attacker which that clause is referring to, is now implicitly part of their agreement. I mean sure, you can cover your ears and yell "lalalalalala" as loud as possible, but you're still gonna get it in the pooper.
[/quote]

I dunno, I never thought of the party "activating" the treaty as being party to it. On the other hand, I've always maintained that treaties are acted upon, rather than having been activated so I suppose the realities are somewhat different from where I'm standing. X moves on Y, Z acts on its treaty with Y. X being the cause for the treaty to be acted upon, but not inherently part of it.

What I am trying to figure out, is how Athens ever thought that Ragnablok applied to them. I'm not one for telling folk what treaties they have, but I think I can speak with some authority when I state that Athens is not part of Ragnablok. They're not bound by the terms of the treaty, they can harp on for all they like that they haven't gone to war with Ragnarok, but the agreement between the 57th and Ragnarok in Ragnablok states that Ragnarok will treat an attack on the 57th as an attack on itself. Athens doesn't get to pick which treaties Rok signs and is bound by at all.

To be honest, I reckon we're all saying the same thing. Athens hit the 57th. Ragnablok states that an attack on the 57th is an attack on Ragnarok. I don't see any clause in there saying "unless the people attacking the protectorate say that they don't want to fight Ragnarok" in there. Nor do I see how Athens has any say in an agreement between the 57th and Ragnarok. I will admit though that this is a rather curious turn of events. All of a sudden we appear to be being told by our attackers that our one and only treaty is void because... they said so?

The terms don't apply to Athens, but that doesn't mean that the consequences of those terms between the parties that it does apply to, don't.

[quote name='hizzy' timestamp='1296374017' post='2610807']

[/quote]
Ok. I have just signed a treaty with my cat. In this treaty, section XI, sub-section B, clause 4, states:

[quote]Anyone calling jraenar "the Mona Lisa of idiocy's da Vinci," is also declaring war on Ragnarok.[/quote]

By your argument, since this treaty was signed by myself, and marked with my cat's paw, it obviously applies to [i]everyone[/i]. Including you. Have fun with that.

Except you never signed that treaty. You aren't bound to declare war on Ragnarok. Veneke, at least, understands that part.

The entire point of this argument is, Athens has not [i]directly[/i] attacked any nation of Ragnarok, as of this post. You can wag on all you like about Ragnarok and the 57th being one in the same according to Ragnablok. It doesn't matter. We never signed it. Ragnarok is Ragnarok. The 57th Overlanders are the 57th Overlanders. We have only attacked the 57th Overlanders. If Ragnarok feels their treaty obligations require them to enter, then that is their decision to make, not ours. As far as I know, Athens and Ragnarok are not at war.

--edit: And so it's clear how all this started:
[quote name='Malkavias' timestamp='1296367000' post='2610591']
You do realize that per Article III of the Ragnablok treaty you just DOWed Ragnarok, don't you? Emphasis mine.
[/quote]
To which I replied (albeit without quoting), roughly, "We never signed Ragnablok."

Edited by jraenar

[quote name='King Wally' timestamp='1296382316' post='2610973']
So athens have declared war on Ragnablok hey...

Sure if thats what you want guys. Nothing in the war will surprise me anymore.
[/quote]

Welp, we declared on a member of Ragnabloc, not the whole thing. If you want to get all technical about it. :P

[quote name='bakamitai' timestamp='1296362232' post='2610388']
No offense to 57th Overlanders and DRAGON, but seriously Athens? You don't want to tangle with STA or Ragnarok?

I like you, Athens, but I thought you were more confident of your warring abilities. I am very disappointed. <_<
[/quote]
Don't you remember "fighting" them in Karma?

Oh wait, where was that image... oh yeah.

[img]http://web.me.com/danflemming/cn/athens_war.jpg[/img]

Declaring on two of my favourite alliances. :mad:

I hope you guys make Athens eat their DoW. :awesome:

[quote name='Vespassianus' timestamp='1296385142' post='2610997']
Honoring an MDP is uncool, but forming an alliance like 2 minutes before DoW and bandwagon is cool? Your logic makes sense 57th...
[/quote]

57th was planning to make a comeback way before this war started to unfold. Blame bad timing.