Tech Raiding popularity poll

caleb ryals

Tech Raiding  

434 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Fernando12' timestamp='1291155885' post='2526775']
Obviously I am opposed to tech raiding. Not because it's evil or wrong. But because I see it as a waste of time and precious funds.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you're still interested but feel free to check out my nation: http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=434688

I'm quite new but I've been involved in 6 wars in the past 2 days, so far no one has retaliated, and I'm sitting in DEFCON 5.. I must admit I have played in the lower tiers before but I always found it extremely profitable. I'm actually too small currently, I don't gain enough tech with every raid, but give me another 5k NS or so, and I'll start being able to totally fund my tech deals with raided tech. The only time it begins getting hard is when my land is far surpassed what it should be at my level and so I'm having to raid nations twice my infra. Even then very few ever fight back and without nukes there's no way they ever make it less than profitable.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Baldr' timestamp='1291529235' post='2530651']
Londo, how much damage does one nuke do in your NS range?

One guy that fights back will kill the profits from a lot of raids.

Everyone knows it.
[/quote]

Did you not read what I said?
[i]Most of them don't.[/i]

As in, I'm fairly sure I've only been nuked by two raids. Out of....a lot. I don't even know how many total, 30? That's a fairly huge amount of profit if you ask me, yes?

One last post to follow up my previous post: I am now 10 days old, I have been involved in 8 tech raids and have had 0 counterattacks. I have made over 50 tech which I will use to continue funding my tech deals. I havn't dogpiled any of my attackers, I've just don raid, raid, peace. Or if the nations are inactive I stop offering peace until they either come back and offer peace or the war expires. I am also now very proficient in knowing when I want to cautious, planned or aggressive attack my foes leaving me ideal troop deployments against other targets as well as hopefully pulling it off so I have dealt with 3 targets a day and still have my deployment to spare incase I ever do get attacked or someone does start fighting back.

I would like to see anyone try and argue that in the low ranges tech raiding isn't profitable, or that it isn't fun for us.

If the Tech Raiding we're talking about are those nations protected due to signing a treaty with a larger alliance thinking they should be able to attack unaligned nations or small alliances that don't have treaties without retaliation, then I think it is a stupid concept. If a 2 man alliance signs a protectorate with a bigger alliance, suddenly they have the right to attack other 2 man alliances who don't have treaties yet in the minds of those who favor tech raiding. If the ones without treaties fight back and escalate they would be labeled the rogues and sanctioned if nuclear capable, that is what I hate about tech raiding.

Edited by Methrage

I need more raids. Cures boredom, gets me land, gets me casualties, makes the moralists cry. WIN all around

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1291605223' post='2531543']
Did you not read what I said?
[i]Most of them don't.[/i]

As in, I'm fairly sure I've only been nuked by two raids. Out of....a lot. I don't even know how many total, 30? That's a fairly huge amount of profit if you ask me, yes?
[/quote]

Yeah on avg ill get nuked 1 out of 20 raids, so the whole not profitable thing is BS

Edited by white majik

[quote name='SirWilliam' timestamp='1291123491' post='2526503']
I love tech-raiding, and no amount of opposition or morality will ever change that.
[/quote]
I agree with this. While I do not tech raid much anymore, I love having the option to, and view it as Admin's given right to allow all nations everywhere the ability to raid as they see fit. If you don't raid, fine, if you don't like raiding fine. I don't care if you raid or don't, just don't try to force your morality on me.

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1291129341' post='2526534']
So now GOONS gets to determine what is and is not a 'real alliance'?
[/quote]
A lot of raiding alliances have a magic number to determine if an alliance is big enough to be recognized as Sovereign, or raidable, or whatever. That number does not change how you see said AA, only how said alliance views that AA.

[quote name='Il Impero Romano' timestamp='1291142387' post='2526614']
Ah yes, it's been a while since we've had one of these.

Everybody get your rage on.
[/quote]
I can't wait for the tears to flow :D

[quote name='Mergerberger II' timestamp='1291160356' post='2526828']
Having a Mercy Board and forcing those who are tech raided to participate in your silly games which do nothing more than promote your amusement at the cost of the victim is more than likely what he meant. Essentially, you do force them, and while you do not have them 'beg' for peace per se, it still is a similar action.
[/quote]
How is this different from forcing people who take up individual surrender terms to come to your forums and ask for peace?
Or is this not a practice Polar does anymore?

This could apply to any alliance who forces people using individual surrender terms to post their surrender on forums.

[quote name='NoFish' timestamp='1292459153' post='2540498']
Techraiding is generally not profitable if you're over 4k infra. That's about all I have to say on the matter.
[/quote]

You just have to select the right target for it to be profitable. A lot of people are too impatient while looking for a proper target, and pick the wrong ones. This is when it becomes unprofitable. My last raids were very profitable, and occurred recently at 4900 infra.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1292480488' post='2540734']
You just have to select the right target for it to be profitable. A lot of people are too impatient while looking for a proper target, and pick the wrong ones. This is when it becomes unprofitable. My last raids were very profitable, and occurred recently at 4900 infra.
[/quote]
Hence why it's "generally not profitable." For most people, it isn't.

[quote name='Locke' timestamp='1292480622' post='2540735']
Hence why it's "generally not profitable." For most people, it isn't.
[/quote]

As I stated, it's up to the tech raider to select a profitable target. You can't generalize techraids as being unprofitable when there's a variable to base profitability on.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1292058619' post='2536239']
If the Tech Raiding we're talking about are those nations protected due to signing a treaty with a larger alliance thinking they should be able to attack unaligned nations or small alliances that don't have treaties without retaliation, then I think it is a stupid concept. If a 2 man alliance signs a protectorate with a bigger alliance, suddenly they have the right to attack other 2 man alliances who don't have treaties yet in the minds of those who favor tech raiding. If the ones without treaties fight back and escalate they would be labeled the rogues and sanctioned if nuclear capable, that is what I hate about tech raiding.
[/quote]

[font="Georgia"]You do realize this isn't limited to tech raiding, right? Say you have two micro alliances. One of them has a protectorate with a fairly large and established alliance. The other does not. They each get into a dispute over a tech deal with a larger alliance, and since they're both ruled by new and inexperienced rulers, negotiations don't go well. In the first situation, the alliance's protector comes in and sorts everything out, the situation is resolved peacefully, and the micro alliance walks away having learned the error of their ways so as not to repeat the same mistakes in the future. In the second situation, the micro alliance is destroyed, perhaps without even notice on the OWF depending on how small it is.

Believe it or not there are benefits to protectorate treaties, and that's why they're signed. [/font]

[quote name='NoFish' timestamp='1292459153' post='2540498']
Techraiding is generally not profitable if you're over 4k infra. That's about all I have to say on the matter.
[/quote]

The reason for raiding varies from person to person. To assume that reason is solely for profit is a bit of a generalization.

[quote name='Ryan Greenberg' timestamp='1292459299' post='2540501']
I don't really care for it. I believe people over react when an alliance like GOONS raids [b][i]unaligned[/i][/b] nations. In fact, I'd participate in it myself if I could.
[/quote]

Everyone has a different definition of what they consider an alliance to be however. That's where a lot of the controversy seems to lie.

[quote name='Emperor Marx' timestamp='1292570865' post='2541684']
The reason for raiding varies from person to person. To assume that reason is solely for profit is a bit of a generalization.
[/quote]
Yes, but from an alliance policy perspective, I believe that any nation has a right to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't hurt the alliance.

I enjoy tech raiding. I suck at finding raids, but its a nice present when you do find a good raid. Raiding generates so much enjoyment. Without raiding and ZI sentences we wouldn't have a Chamber of Tears which is perhaps my favorite thing in this world. :awesome:

[quote name='Vanilla Napalm' timestamp='1291092125' post='2526306']
Tech raiding pushes new players out, and makes it near impossible to start new, independent alliances...
I'm a fan.
[/quote]

i'm not surprised at all by this comment and i would assume thats why CN is dying as it is..keep up the good work of running people off!

[quote name='President Hardin' timestamp='1292609086' post='2541903']
i'm not surprised at all by this comment and i would assume thats why CN is dying as it is..keep up the good work of running people off!
[/quote]

You're quite adept at recognizing sarcasm and satire. I'd venture to say that people are more likely to leave CN due to having to deal with imbeciles that have the incapacity to recognize humor, but that would have as much merit as assuming people are leaving due to techraids.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1292691825' post='2542754']
You're quite adept at recognizing sarcasm and satire. I'd venture to say that people are more likely to leave CN due to having to deal with imbeciles that have the incapacity to recognize humor, but that would have as much merit as assuming people are leaving due to techraids.
[/quote]

i am speaking from experience thank you. i almost quit because of tech raiding and i have known several who actually have. so thanks for the meaningless comment.

[quote name='President Hardin' timestamp='1292698792' post='2542879']
i am speaking from experience thank you. i almost quit because of tech raiding and i have known several who actually have. so thanks for the meaningless comment.
[/quote]

"I am almost proof of my statement, but I didn't actually leave". Talk about meaningless comments. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1292702750' post='2542949']
You're wrong.

Actually, I just got nuked on my current raid. And I still profited. At 8k infra.
[/quote]
General statements are [i]clearly[/i] proven false by anecdotes.