SoTW #14: Voting

SinOfNemesis

Which sig is the best?  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282711895' post='2430491']
It is the non-photoshopness of it that defeats me every-time i try to mess with it. Horrible interface [i am biased of course].
[/quote]

I understand completely, my photoshop use is mostly for website layout and what-not, and going from photoshop to the GIMP, there'll be things I want to do that I know how to do in photoshop but for the life of me I just can't figure out how to do in the GIMP because its just such a different interface.

They say to stick to what you know, perhaps people who started on the GIMP and mastered the learning curve can probably make it work for them just as well as those who are experienced with Photoshop.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Chey won it fair. I know i am not running this contest, but in all fairness, he deserves the regular award. If it was not to be allowed to face the vote then it should have been rejected in the entry stage itself.

I dont care about the allegations of rigging the vote or getting NSO to vote, it is an inherent risk you take when the contest is based on a poll.

This situation will come up again and again till such time as the rules to this are modified and rigid guidelines laid down as to what kind of entries shall be entertained. By being arbitrary all we do is lose the credibility of the contest itself. Also if you try to tie down the participants in rules regarding resources used, it would not be open to all, not a good thing unless that is what we are aiming for. Which i seriously doubt.

As for the actual sig, i am sure i can not replicate the work done by him, drawing with a mouse is not one of my strong suits. So he has me beat on that count itself.

Now if there was a rejection based on non-adherence to the theme, that would be understandable. However that was not the case, the entry is being deemed to be unacceptable based on the premise that not enough effort went into it and that it was somehow an affront to the other participants. Also, please let us not get into the discussion as to what is or is not art. Something about all creation being art, applies here.

Edited by Alfred von Tirpitz

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282711087' post='2430480']
I hear the software called gimp is pretty good too. It is free for use.
[/quote]

GIMP is pretty good, it allows you to do everything Photoshop does, although does take awhile to get used to.

[quote name='Scorponok' timestamp='1282730737' post='2430653']
GIMP is pretty good, it allows you to do everything Photoshop does, although does take awhile to get used to.
[/quote]
This.
I used to use GIMP for a while, until my school let me install Photoshop on my computer. (for educational purposes only)
Photoshop's interface is much easier to work with, but GIMP can do the same things photoshop can do, for the most part :)

As far as Chey's sig is concerned, I am a bit surprised that it was included in the voting though it was rejected in the original thread. I suppose it IS a sig, and this is a Sig of the week contest. If people liked it and chose it, I see no problem with it :)
(I chose Davian's btw)

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' timestamp='1282727268' post='2430639']
I dont care about the allegations of rigging the vote or getting NSO to vote, it is an inherent risk you take when the contest is based on a poll.
[/quote]

We did, in fact, vote for Chey.

If he won, give him the damn ribbon. Doing otherwise only makes you all look pathetic.

If you don't want people making MS Paint stuff, make a rule about it or something.

Edited by Aurion

[quote name='Aurion' timestamp='1282757522' post='2430992']
If he won, give him the damn ribbon. Doing otherwise only makes you all look pathetic.

If you don't want people making MS Paint stuff, make a rule about it or something.
[/quote]
Somebody shouldve entered Jack Diorno's C&G MSPaint sigs in this contest

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1282350699' post='2425166']
well, I gotta hand it to you Rebel Virginia. You certainly do have a talent for trivialtizing the momentous and complicating the obvious.

In this case, Cheyenne, while doing a good job of being lulzy, it was not any sort of "commentary" as you call it. He will win, not because his art is the best, but because it stands out from all the others.

Also, who can name the movie I just quoted?
[/quote]
Trivialtizing?....Yeah, I'm ok with that.

Davian's is cool, but just seems to be missing something for me.

[quote]"The people who entered this contest are insulted because their skills have been completely and totally marginalized by a piece so simplistic and lacking in character, one whose justification seems to be that "it is different."[/quote]

Could you be not so general next time? I am part of those 'The people who entered' but I am not part of those who feel insulted. Art is art and the program you use doesn't matter. The product you end up with is what matters, so can the majority of you stop bashing either Chey sign or the signatures of the others who participated?

[quote name='Scorponok' timestamp='1282730737' post='2430653']
[/quote]

I started off with Paint.net before I switched to Photoshop, it was much more of a Photoshop clone than Gimp, so the transition was easier to get used to. Gimp was just too...different for me.

For mac, there's a handy Photoshop alternative called "Pixelmator". It's not free, but it's like 10 times less expensive and the UI is absolutely gorgeous.

[quote name='PotFace' timestamp='1282786017' post='2431379']
I've never participated in this before, but if it's okay, I'd like to submit my sig for the next round.....
[/quote]

I'm not sure when the next one will be started, but it should be soon and of course anyone can enter. Judging by your current sig you'll submit a great entry, but don't be surprised if people complain that you didn't handcraft every single part of the sig.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1282795567' post='2431518']
I'm not sure when the next one will be started, but it should be soon and of course anyone can enter. Judging by your current sig you'll submit a great entry, but don't be surprised if people complain that you didn't handcraft every single part of the sig.
[/quote]

Complaints and the like are a major part of what defines us all. We are CNers, we need to have things to complaint about. We are not happy unless we are miserable.

@ Potface, i hope you participate the SOTW, the more that do, the better it gets.

[quote name='Farore' timestamp='1282780516' post='2431312']
Could you be not so general next time? I am part of those 'The people who entered' but I am not part of those who feel insulted. Art is art and the program you use doesn't matter. The product you end up with is what matters, so can the majority of you stop bashing either Chey sign or the signatures of the others who participated?
[/quote]

My apologies, I meant to say that those who feel insulted (and are thus complaining) are doing so because ect, ect.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' timestamp='1282795567' post='2431518']
I started off with Paint.net before I switched to Photoshop, it was much more of a Photoshop clone than Gimp, so the transition was easier to get used to. Gimp was just too...different for me.
[/quote]
Paint.net is awesome isn't it. ^_^ I tried Gimp, before but didn't like it.

Also, on topic, I might participate in the next sotw.

[quote name='Davian Thule' timestamp='1283064622' post='2434554']
No, but CN Art Staff will still reserve the right to ask for it.

No one has to prove their work unless asked to by a staff member and it won't be in public.
[/quote]

I think it would be nice to know what someone actually drew and what someone didn't. Example: If someone drew freddy krueger and didn't just take it from a pic online, imo, I would give the original work my vote :P

Voting is hard, especially when we have no idea which work is original most of the time.
Are we voting for picture searching skills AND art skills? or just art skills...

[img]http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/SAVE/tol/news/present/ci_elm-street_main_000.png[/img]

[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/2hp12te.png[/img]

[quote name='okandjo' timestamp='1283090765' post='2434671']
I think it would be nice to know what someone actually drew and what someone didn't. Example: If someone drew freddy krueger and didn't just take it from a pic online, imo, I would give the original work my vote :P

Voting is hard, especially when we have no idea which work is original most of the time.
Are we voting for picture searching skills AND art skills? or just art skills...

[img]http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/SAVE/tol/news/present/ci_elm-street_main_000.png[/img]

[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/2hp12te.png[/img]
[/quote]
I fail to see what was wrong with my picture. I altered the living hell out of it.

Edited by Davian Thule

[quote name='Davian Thule' timestamp='1283093345' post='2434689']
I fail to see what was wrong with my picture. I altered the living hell out of it.
[/quote]

I never said your picture was wrong. I think you did a great job.
I just wanted to say: compare a person who had drawn freddy krueger to someone who didn't.

imo, I believe someone deserves the credit we owe them.
And in your case I believe you deserve a lot of credit for what you DID (eg: the special effects, the lighting all over freddy krueger).

Transparency is key and Sal is correct in believing we should see the amount of work in each sig.

Edited by okandjo