Question for UPN

Xiphosis

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was thinking UPN.... wtf.

But after reading up on it. Reall Xiph? Greene was trying to eastablish a private channel of sorts. Do you realise how hard it would have been to get all the irc newbs to register+ creating access lists for them? I realise you are trying to smear UPN. But damn dude you need to try a bit harder, because stuff like this just makes you look foolish.

[quote name='Haflinger' date='15 May 2010 - 06:41 AM' timestamp='1273927297' post='2298650']
My guess is the kickbans were so they could use it as a private channel to talk about chanserv and the like. IRC newbies often don't handle queries well.
[/quote]
Even if so, he handled it in the poorest way I could possibly imagine.

1) He registered a channel which would have otherwise belonged to someone else. This would be like rushing out to register #mushroom_kingdom or #invicta before the alliance has the chance to. And then holding out your hands when the real staff arrives and saying "Don't worry guys, I'll do this for you!" Even if IRC newbies don't always catch queries, a simple "Hey Wakka, I sent you a PM. Check your bar please," would have sufficed. I've handled something like 40-50 newbies over IRC in the last few days thanks to the GOONS influx, and this hasn't been an issue.

2) He decided to moderate the channel by silencing everyone in it using +m and then only voicing FP members. Granted this is supposedly the FP channel, but he did this more or less without warning, and was silencing diplomats and alliance govs who were there to talk and help out. None of us had a chance to protest or offer alternatives, or even leave willingly.

3) He then kicked (and in most cases banned) all non-FP members with the incredibly shady "<Greene345|UPN> now, im kicking all the other alliances." "<Greene345|UPN> but i'll stay." If his actual intention was to give FP privacy and let them delegate on their own, he should have left as well after handing them the reigns. Instead he decided to perch over them like a hawk and decide that he's the only person who should be allowed to see or speak with this alliance until HE is satisfied with their current government setup (which is supported by his claim that they "aren't an alliance" and he'll give them the channel when they decide on their government).

Kicking/banning diplomats from other alliances without warning, rather aggressively I might add, sets a very bad tone for the entire situation. I would have recommended a password-protected channel for FP-only (not run by a non-FP member obviously), or heck even politely asked if the diplomats wouldn't mind stepping out while the group discusses things privately. Greene jumped straight to "I'm running this for them. I will decide when they've earned it. I will decide who stays and goes." Whether he represents UPN as a whole or not, this casts a poor light on them and any relations between FP and UPN (or any other small alliance), as one of its members managed to cause bad blood between themselves and a handful of other alliances within just a few seconds.

Edited by Beefspari

[quote name='Ejayrazz' date='15 May 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1273936882' post='2298736']
It is amazing how so many alliances are willing to 'help them' and get on good terms with them merely because of their numbers. :smug:
[/quote]
You should have seen the recruiters spamming the thread on FP. :smug: (Gems like NPO ODN and etc.)

[quote name='Ejayrazz' date='15 May 2010 - 09:21 AM' timestamp='1273936882' post='2298736']
It is amazing how so many alliances are willing to 'help them' and get on good terms with them merely because of their numbers. :smug:
[/quote]
There's actually a rather interesting and involved story as to why GOONS showed up for diplomatic talks with FP, but if you're resigned to "it's just the numbers" then I guess telling you about it wouldn't change your opinion.

[quote name='Beefspari' date='15 May 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1273937233' post='2298740']
There's actually a rather interesting and involved story as to why GOONS showed up for diplomatic talks with FP, but if you're resigned to "it's just the numbers" then I guess telling you about it wouldn't change your opinion.
[/quote]
Woah woah woah, who has the guilty conscious? I give you one guess. :awesome:

I never specifically spelled GOONS, did I? No, so I wouldn't assume. :ehm:

Also, I know about GOONS and FP and their multi-game hatred.

I hope the two of you come to a mutual understanding. Best of luck to the both of you.

Edited by Ejayrazz

[quote name='xoindotnler' date='15 May 2010 - 04:26 PM' timestamp='1273937187' post='2298738']
You should have seen the recruiters spamming the thread on FP. :smug: (Gems like NPO ODN and etc.)
[/quote]

You must have been reading some other thread, I dont recall any NPO(or ODN for that matter) recruiters. :unsure:

[quote name='silentkiller' date='15 May 2010 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1273937617' post='2298746']
You must have been reading some other thread, I dont recall any NPO(or ODN for that matter) recruiters. :unsure:
[/quote]
Quick search(Post got deleted :smug: ):
[quote]HEY, BILLY MAYS HERE. You may have gotten messages from other alliances, but I have an offer for you that YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO RESIST.

- Nobody is as nice as us. We were voted the friendliest alliance in Cybernations. THAT'S RIGHT. DON'T BELIEVE THOSE OTHERS WHO CLAIM TO BE THE NICEST.
- You'll get the best quality. We are one of the OLDEST and BIGGEST alliances in CN (Top 10). LIFETIME WARRANTY INCLUDED!
- We are truly DEMOCRATIC, your VOTE really COUNTS. WHY WOULD YOU WANT ANYTHING ELSE?
- With your membership you'll get FREE first class guides on every aspect of the game.
- JOIN NOW AND WE'LL INCLUDE military protection against any attackers AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU.
- BUT WAIT, THERE IS MORE: We have the best nation-building program in CN to grow your nation.
- Still not convinced? Check out our active and fun community. NOBODY CAN BEAT WHAT WE OFFER!

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, JOIN TODAY!
http://www.orangedefense.net/forums/[/quote]
Around page 8.

Edited by xoindotnler

[quote name='xoindotnler' date='15 May 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1273938042' post='2298755']
Quick search(Post got deleted :smug: ):
[/quote]

Still missing NPO recruiters :P. Although even ODN is ingame pm as far as I can tell(possibly to a nation that was unaligned at the moment.)

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' date='15 May 2010 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1273937929' post='2298752']
Uh oh Ejay brings news. One that i was not aware of. Are we set for a pan galactic war? A war that spans galaxies and worlds?

For the sake of argument, what would everyone's opinion be to war breaking out in this world due to war on other planets?
[/quote]

GOONS did that with Fark. :D

Have other big alliances offered their help with IRC/forum before? Sure.

Was this handled in the best way? Nope.

Is it worth all of the hullabaloo? Definitely not.

Facepunch obviously wasn't ready for foreign gov to come in for talks, seeing as they were still trying to search and select a leader amongst their own ranks. Greene was serving as the bouncer to try and stop the interruption of that crucial discussion. Could he have assisted via private query? Yes, that would have been the best course of action. This is not the most troubling activity going on in Planet Bob right now, so let's all return to our regularly scheduled programming.

[quote name='Torito' date='15 May 2010 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1273928651' post='2298659']
Now that this is resolved, the only question remaining is how much juice people who hate UPN can get out of this 'diplomatic incident'.

The ironic thing about people chiding us because we were trying to shamelessly secure an ally/techfarm is that the people who were banned from that channel were most likely trying to do something similar...

Go go go!
[/quote]

Yes, GOONS with its 6.9k average NS needs a tech farm :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='15 May 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1273942157' post='2298835']
I for one had hoped this would turn into another war, silly reasons be damned.
[/quote]
I'm fairly sure GOD or someone would have had to declare, and I don't think Xiph or Delta care that much about UPN being dumb.

[quote name='Alterego' date='15 May 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1273923762' post='2298616']
Im sure he was well aware of the potential consequences of what he was doing. Do yourself a favour and steer clear of UPN. They will take your tech and run away if you get attacked. Alliances like TOP, GOD, STA and MK would make much better allies.
[/quote]

Well, I cant speak to the "steer clear of UPN" comment as I dont know them well.... However, I can echo your sentiments about STA, and MK. Those are some amazing allies.

GOD, even though they smell funny, will stick beside their allies even if it means destruction.... and TOP I believe would be the same way.

umm, Private channels FTW? well maybe ....

Another thing, you heard the man:-
[quote]
When prompted in #upn the only thing we could get out of Greene himself is that he'll hand the channel over to Facepunch whenever they set up a government/have a leader[/quote]

He is just looking out for the little man, till they hit puberty and get themselves a government.
And make sure they are protected from all your "evil eyes"

get over it, not a big issue.

[quote name='Cyber Nationz' date='15 May 2010 - 12:07 PM' timestamp='1273943230' post='2298851']
get over it, not a big issue.
[/quote]
The way it was handled is why it's an issue. Or was, rather.

Edited by Rey the Great

[quote name='Xiphosis' date='15 May 2010 - 05:01 AM' timestamp='1273914058' post='2298513']
> Do you make it a habit of registering/endorse the registration of new alliances channels?

> Who in the hell are you to dictate who's allowed in another alliance's channel?
[/quote]

Seems to me like there's a definition problem here. The channel is obviously NOT facepunch's or there wouldn't be a problem. You are attempting to claim ownership over something that is not yours. Channels are clearly the owner of he who registered, or has gained founder. You could try to negotiate with this individual, otherwise I would recommend a new channel. CNfacepunch? Cn-Facepunch? Does it really matter? No. This is unbelievably silly.