Announcement from \m/

In all seriousness, if you go to these sorts of channels and expect not see this !@#$ you're a tool; it's like coming to our forums and being horrified when you see multiple dicks in one thread. If you don't like the humour (no matter if its 'morally' wrong or not) don't associate yourselves with the alliance(s) by hanging out in their channel(s).

Oh, my. Damn.

Ok folks, wrap it up and go home! Shut it all down!

Attention, Planet Bob; what happened tonight did not affect Schattenmann, please go home!

Crazy thought man; not everything on digiterra affects every member. Nobody has claimed otherwise.

God I wish people were still taught rhetoric.

In point of fact, what happened in #\m/ on SynIRC didn't affect anyone's Digiterran experience. What NoR 1 and/or NoV said on didn't say on their forums didn't affect anyone; whatever boyfriend/girlfriend Zero Hour BS that all was didn't affect anyone; the logs in the Undercover GOON video didn't afect anyone; when a member of Freebootin' Pirate Insurgency made a joke about seizures it didn't affect anyone.

Until, follow along, everyone:

It got dragged, kicking and screaming, into Digiterra by a bunch of maniacally childish prisses who are so much more mature than the people in question that they cannot tolerate any offense whatever to their dainty sensibilities.

Edited by Schattenmann

The feigned outrage by some is pretty hilarious.

You might as well say "I saw something racist on the SA forums once. I think GOONS should be disbanded/rolled/sanctioned/something bad too!" (and no, I'm not singling you out GOONS, just making a point)

Ditto for any other group here which has a presence elsewhere.

It wasn't said by people on Bob and it wasn't here on the OWF, so what exactly is the problem here?

That tech raid only affected 30 someodd people yet we still got a 50 page thread out of it.

I'm sure more than 30 people were in the \m/ channel, so I expect at least 100 pages.

you're right, and i'm offended by the word "and." I expect a few billion out of that apology to me because everyone says it, in fact, i did in my very sentence.

Oh, my. Damn.

Ok folks, wrap it up and go home! Shut it all down!

Attention, Planet Bob; what happened tonight did not affect Schattenmann, please go home!

Crazy thought man; not everything on digiterra affects every member. Nobody has claimed otherwise.

Crazy thought man; he may have been commenting on the IC/OOC line.

So, two nerds walk into a bar...ohwai..

Anyway, Do elaborate. ive been in SEVERAL channels where theres remarks spewed that would make truck drivers blush yet i can only assume because it was \m/ that people decided to get upset over it.

@Fallen_fool, please scroll back and read post #12 in this very thread Anyway, havent alliances been rolled in the past for such behavior..NoR i believe? (before my time..)

Ok sue me, its before my time..it was NoV not NoR. my bad

(thanks bzelger)

God I wish people were still taught rhetoric.

In point of fact, what happened in #\m/ on SynIRC didn't affect anyone's Digiterran experience. What NoR 1 and/or NoV said on didn't say on their forums didn't affect anyone; whatever boyfriend/girlfriend Zero Hour BS that all was didn't affect anyone; the logs in the Undercover GOON video didn't afect anyone; when a member of Freebootin' Pirate Insurgency made a joke about seizures it didn't affect anyone.

Until, follow along, everyone:

It got dragged, kicking and screaming, into Digiterra by a bunch of maniacally childish prisses who are so much more mature than the people in question that they cannot tolerate any offense whatever to their dainty sensibilities.

but i can feign my butt hurting for my political advantage, schattenmann!

Crazy thought man; he may have been commenting on the IC/OOC line.

Like I said, rhetorical devices are useless here. Basically, take a sledge to your whole body of language and the little chunk of grunts and bluntness that you're left with is the only thing that you can use here.

Edited by Schattenmann

That is precisely what censorship is.

People can say whatever they want, they just have to accept the consequences of their choices.

This isn't something unique to their channel. Glad to see some responsibility taken for it however. I'm sure everyone could do more to clean up our own houses in relation to such speech, at least to some extent.

Edited by janax

Pointless announcement \m/ .

IRC chit chat when not to do with CN politics and plots is not relevant. You have members, they talk. What are you supposed to be, their momma? Of course if this was not on Planet Bob then your organization might have had issues, as it is now, this is irrelevant.

Agreeing with this. I shake my head at thee, \m/.

Anything related to the Digiterran experience could provoke war. But, frankly, I don't see anything related to Digiterra here.

[OOC]You are differentiating the purely in-game experience (collecting taxes, trading) from the meta-game experience (signing treaties, organizing governments). Both of these are considered In Character by the moderators. While this thread might perhaps be in the incorrect forum, an issue that any alliance might have with \m/ is not, necessarily, and as you are someone that has decided to create a character for himself, and thus participate in the meta-game, this does affect you, if indirectly.

Your posts have indicated not a problem with the apology itself, oddly, which certainly has no affect on you, since it is an apology through a medium not officially recognized by the gaming staff about an issue that has not been rationalized to being In Character, but instead you are taking an issue with the responders, who do not seem to have been as particular at separating the In Character grievances (attacking an alliance without cause, treating an alliance leader on a diplomatic mission with total disrespect) and the Out of Character grievances (racism).

You have an agenda here and that's fine but your objections to the strictly in-character rules of this forum are inconsistent.

ChairmanHal Slams Political Correctness

Wednesday, 19 Jan 2010 11:37 PM

International political pundit and leader of the Haleenstar Republic ChairmanHal sees nothing funny about political correctness.

ChairmanHal told the New Jerusalem Weekly that modern society lives in a state of fear over the possibility of being labeled racist for telling jokes based on ethnicity or nationality.

"People have lost their sense of humor," he told the magazine. "In former times we constantly made jokes about different races. You can only tell them today with one hand over your mouth otherwise you will be insulted as a racist.

"I find that ridiculous. In those earlier days every friendly clique had a 'Sam the Jew' or 'Jose the Mexican' -- but we didn't think anything of it or have a racist thought. It was normal that we made jokes based on our nationality or ethnicity. That was never a problem.

"I don't want to be politically correct. We're all spending too much time and energy trying to be politically correct about everything."

[OOC]You are differentiating the purely in-game experience (collecting taxes, trading) from the meta-game experience (signing treaties, organizing governments). Both of these are considered In Character by the moderators. While this thread might perhaps be in the incorrect forum, an issue that any alliance might have with \m/ is not, necessarily, and as you are someone that has decided to create a character for himself, and thus participate in the meta-game, this does affect you, if indirectly.

Your posts have indicated not a problem with the apology itself, oddly, which certainly has no affect on you, since it is an apology through a medium not officially recognized by the gaming staff about an issue that has not been rationalized to being In Character, but instead you are taking an issue with the responders, who do not seem to have been as particular at separating the In Character grievances (attacking an alliance without cause, treating an alliance leader on a diplomatic mission with total disrespect) and the Out of Character grievances (racism).

You have an agenda here and that's fine but your objections to the strictly in-character rules of this forum are inconsistent.

Because the Laws of Admin prevent a coherent response to your reply, I must rely upon the words of my ever-lucid companion in Justitia, Biff: <Biff[CoJ]> If Polar wanted to bloody their nose over FoA I wouldn't have a problem. Too much OOC seeping into IC will just degrade what little politics there is.

Edited by Schattenmann

This issue was brought to Digiterra by \m/, as far as I can tell. At least, that was the affiliation of the creator of this announcement at the time of its creation. Unless \m/ were the maniacally childish prisses?

People can say whatever they want, they just have to accept the consequences of their choices.

This isn't something unique to their channel. Glad to see some responsibility taken for it however. I'm sure everyone could do more to clean up our own houses in relation to such speech, at least to some extent.

how about i don't. How about you accept the consequences of being in MY channel

This is all OOC and pointless to even mention here. -_-

That said, I will offer a "good show" for the fact that you decided to apologize over the incident, as pointless as it may be.

I am wondering why people are calling this announcement pointless. I see this more of a warning to people that if they have certain sensibilities against bad jokes they shouldn't join their channel. If anything this is a good deal as it lets people know beforehand so no more apologies have to be made in the future as people will know what they're getting into when they join the channel.

This issue was brought to Digiterra by \m/, as far as I can tell. At least, that was the affiliation of the creator of this announcement at the time of its creation. Unless \m/ were the maniacally childish prisses?

\m/ is clearly responding to the maniacs.

Edited by Schattenmann

\m/ is clearly responding to the maniacs.

I have seen no evidence of this. I thought this announcement was meant to make me smile, and realize \m/'s awareness for its insensitivities, because this was not on account of international pressure.

So I guess it is time to ask \m/ the question, are they doing this because of international pressure, or are they doing it because it's the right thing to do?

I have seen no evidence of this. I thought this announcement was meant to make me smile, and realize \m/'s awareness for its insensitivities, because this was not on account of international pressure.

So I guess it is time to ask \m/ the question, are they doing this because of international pressure, or are they doing it because it's the right thing to do?

It's not really of any consequence, no one's satisfied either way.

Look, like WarriorConcept said, anyone that was ever gov of an alliance allied to GOONS, etc can just shut up about the morality of the remarks from \m/, really.

Since this is going to go on all night, I'll just go ahead and say it takes a lot to run Schloss Eggenberg, and to givem my all I'll need more sleep than I'll get even now. It's light-out in the castle complex, now. You all have fun, better luck starting a war next time.

Edited by Schattenmann

I wasn't aware there was any international pressure on them to make an apology, and as your members have made clear there certainly wasn't any by polar. Was that a rhetorical question then?

Ok sue me, its before my time..it was NoV not NoR. my bad

(thanks bzelger)

derp

Totally missed your post dude. My bad. Also my reply:

@Fallen_fool, please scroll back and read post #12 in this very thread Anyway, havent alliances been rolled in the past for such behavior..NoR i believe? (before my time..)
It is true that such colorful language has been consider a valid enough CB to justify war by certain parties. What is also true is that in this instance colorful language was never going to be used as a CB. \m/'s entire reason for bringing the incident to light is thus not, as they claim, some pretext for preventing a war over colorful language, but instead an attempt to politicize the IRC incident in an attempt to mobilize some sympathy from the mass of people tired of CB's based on colorful language.

[OOC]tl;dr \m/'s trying to use an OOC incident to mobilize support amongst people who are tired of OOC CB's.[/OOC]

Edited by Fallen_Fool

I wasn't aware there was any international pressure on them to make an apology, and as your members have made clear there certainly wasn't any by polar. Was that a rhetorical question then?

Could have been pressure from someone else... an ally, a friend of an ally, etc.