Announcement from \m/

if i was not lazy, i would go looking to see how many supporters of \m/ were happily denouncing nazis and stating that nazis and WS have no place in CN... racist remarks are racist remarks. i don't deal with WS or those who think it is funny to act as one.

so on this other planet they have this comedian named Dave Chappelle, and he's so beloved and respected because he jokes about race in a way that makes people laugh at the absurdity of racism. sometimes, as a minority (which i am), the only thing you can do about racism is to laugh about it. i find it funny when non-minorities take more offense than the minority in question does.

that's not to say that there isn't racism against the "majority" because there is, but similarly, the absurdity of it is something to laugh at.

for example (and this is from memory, so i'm paraphrasing a bit)

"let me guess, you're gona have the chicken!" -waiter

"...how'd you know that!" -dave

"you blacks LOVE your chicken" -waiter

dave: "and here i was, thinking that i loved chicken because it TASTES good, when it turns out, i'm genetically predisposed to liking chicken!"

similarly, there was this absurd character named Borat who did all sorts of crazy unacceptable things which people allowed to happen simply because they believed that his "culture" was so backwards that it was acceptable there. Some people laughed at Borat because he did outrageous things, but the underlying message was that people really believe that some races/cultures are so backwards that incest and pooping in a bag are not only normal but encouraged.

so for those of you who get offended when people are making racial jokes, chill out. the reason we laugh is because sometimes life can be so tragic and so depressing that it is overwhelming. laughter is our escape.

joke on friends, joke on.

P.S. leave the room if you are so offended. nobody has forced you to idle there. and no, this isn't blaming the victim. this is common sense.

Edited by Chinatownbus

You're right. It's completely random that \m/ is apologizing and nearly 30% of their membership is in peace mode. :smug:

It's not random; they're cowards. They've been moving into peace mode before this even occurred.

I didn't take this seriously at first but now I've come to realise it is a seroius issue because I've seen it happend!

Someone used some racial slur in our public channel #mushroom on thecastlehall.no-ip.org.

Realising there was nobody there to handle the situation I assembled the unofficial formal communication control congress (the FCCC)

As the sole member of the board I would like to appologize for this incident. I will do everything in my power to see that something like this never happends again. Although I'm pretty sure it will since I have absolutely no power. I will still work night and day to keep communications in our public channels to the moral standards that you expect from mk.

Once again I'm terribly sorry for this incident.

Having no real power whatsoever I can't kick the member in question but I will plead with the mk leadership to see that justice is served and that the member in question is thrown out and possibly put on the special FCCC pzi list I plan to instate.

for example (and this is from memory, so i'm paraphrasing a bit)

"let me guess, you're gona have the chicken!" -waiter

"...how'd you know that!" -dave

"you blacks LOVE your chicken" -waiter

dave: "and here i was, thinking that i loved chicken because it TASTES good, when it turns out, i'm genetically predisposed to liking chicken!"

I love that one actually.

Only thing is, it doesn't relate. If a waiter came up to you out of the blue and said it, you'd knock him out.

The difference between a joke and an insult is the rapport between the joker and listener. Do you think the rapport between NpO and \m/ was one where racist humor was acceptable? And to top it off, it wasn't even racist humor in the context of "2 black guys walk into a bar"... it was racist in the context of "hey, you're a ******".

Edited by hizzy

If we're going ot do the "coward" thing again, will you open a new thread, at least? You know, and spare us all.

I've always personally hated the coward thing... but for the life of me I can't think of how else to describe it when someone puffs out their chest, declares their apathy of someone else's opinion and firepower, and then moves to peace mode.

get over yourselves, people. No one cares what you think of racism or how you would punish racism. The most obvious step in avoiding your feelings getting hurt might be *gasp* leaving the channel. Boo-hoo, you can't handle a few words

if you don't want to handle the heat of the \m/ kitchen, then step out of it

Edited by Aeternalis

Only thing is, it doesn't relate. If a waiter came up to you out of the blue and said it, you'd knock him out.

The difference between a joke and an insult is the rapport between the joker and listener. Do you think the rapport between NpO and \m/ was one where racist humor was acceptable? And to top it off, it wasn't even racist humor in the context of "2 black guys walk into a bar"... it was racist in the context of "hey, you're a n*****".

Doesn't affect my Digiterran experience. Whew, look there, I collected taxes just now and nothing odd happened even though this horrible thing has happened tonight.

The difference between a joke and an insult is the rapport between the joker and listener. Do you think the rapport between NpO and \m/ was one where racist humor was acceptable? And to top it off, it wasn't even racist humor in the context of "2 black guys walk into a bar"... it was racist in the context of "hey, you're a n*****".

I walked into #sta once and someone asked me what I wanted to be when I blew up. :laugh:

[OOC] Also China's right, usually those who find something racists are minorities who think us minorities take things personally. However it's all in the intent. Sometimes something is so racist it's like Mississippi Burning it's just so racist you see the entire place burning and you're just like, "wooow". [/OOC]

Shrug it off and move on. I just hope if \m/ is apologize they take real steps to circumvent the issue rather than an apology that costs nothing.

Edited by The AUT

Schattenman: You're correct. I forgot that I, president of Proko, am standing in the room of international diplomacy where remarks such as those take on an entirely new meaning.

Jason8: You're also correct. Polaris will not take any action against \m/ because it is a community that fosters and tolerates racism.

first of all, if someone tried to hurt me by calling me a n-word, i'd laugh because i'm not one.

secondly, you have a choice to make. you either get angry and hate that person back, or you laugh it off and take pity on them because they are ignorant.

it seems to me that someone is looking for a reason to fight.

Its kind of pathetic that this had To be made. How pathetic is your group that you have to joke about stuff like that.

I can't wait till your group is gone for good, you disgust me.

Have you ever been in all of your ally's IRC channels? Just wondering because if you have and you don't mind these things that go on there, then I'm calling your post out as completely hypocritical, as well as any member of polar's whom are condemning the comments said.

Doesn't affect my Digiterran experience. Whew, look there, I collected taxes just now and nothing odd happened even though this horrible thing has happened tonight.

By that logic the only thing that would justify a war would be an active nuclear war. After all nothing else would affect your collections up until the point when GR starts going up, then you need to go to war to punish those who raised it and get it back down.

Well I guess unprovoked spy attacks/ground attacks against yourself would justify it you fighting, but what justified them fighting in the first place?

Oh, my. Damn.

Ok folks, wrap it up and go home! Shut it all down!

Attention, Planet Bob; what happened tonight did not affect Schattenmann, please go home!

Crazy thought man; not everything on digiterra affects every member. Nobody has claimed otherwise.

Oh, my. Damn.

Ok folks, wrap it up and go home! Shut it all down!

Attention, Planet Bob; what happened tonight did not affect Schattenmann, please go home!

Crazy thought man; not everything on digiterra affects every member. Nobody has claimed otherwise.

what happened tonight didn't effect hardly anyone, so should we all go home?

please, do it

Edited by Aeternalis

By that logic the only thing that would justify a war would be an active nuclear war. After all nothing else would affect your collections up until the point when GR starts going up, then you need to go to war to punish those who raised it and get it back down.

Well I guess unprovoked spy attacks/ground attacks against yourself would justify it you fighting, but what justified them fighting in the first place?

Anything related to the Digiterran experience could provoke war. But, frankly, I don't see anything related to Digiterra here.

Did I mention racism isn't the reason people have issues with \m/ right now? I did? Okay then.

What I've found in my time as a frequenter of this venue is that you're oging to get more traction by saying what did, not by blustering about what didn't. This is the show-me planet.

what happened tonight didn't effect hardly anyone, so should we all go home?

please, do it

That tech raid only affected 30 someodd people yet we still got a 50 page thread out of it.

I'm sure more than 30 people were in the \m/ channel, so I expect at least 100 pages.

Any minute now, banned member (filtered? starts with an M, and loved Boxxxy) is going to show up with screenies that prove that \m/ is a stormfront operation and is in league with NoR.

Wait for it... Wait for it...

Edited by WalkerNinja