Never-before-heard Grämlins tell-all itt

Ertyy

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MHAil! Grämmies.

This should keep things interesting. I like the novel approach. And like I said in a different thread, Gre could cancel on MHA, but it wouldn't change the relationship any, we would still be Härmlin brothers. So in a sense that proves the validity of this move.

The Grämlins hereby announces the cancellation of all its remaining treaties, with the exception of The Härmlin Accords which has no cancellation clause. The Grämlins no longer feels that friendship and allies need be tied by pieces of poorly-written ePaper.

Have you guys notified the Codex of your cancellation as well?

This is lame. Without treaties you can't be drawn into a war. This is just a weak passive move. You might aswell change your name to gpä..

They still have their treaty with MHA. And their ties to former allies such as us whom would be willing to fight for them if need be without the need of a treaty.

Interesting move and perhaps sustainable if you make sure your FA team keeps your allies friends up to date on how friendly you are with them. It is a bit sad to see ya'll forgoing treaties though. They're a large part of this world and stepping back from this is a choice to not participate in that aspect. Also I believe you will eventually find that the political and reassurance value of treaties is greater than you think. When the next big war comes there may be many outside your close allies friends who will likely be unsure of where you stand. That uncertainty could cause complications and ultimately the loss of the war.

While I too find myself inclined to hail this move as a great step forward... I agree with spaar in that this could really go both ways. Without treaties obligating an alliance to fight, I'll bet it becomes very easy to talk oneself into neutrality and staying out of a lot of conflicts. Time will tell the story on this one, but I think paperless diplomacy makes it a lot easier to see alliances for what they really are.

That being said, I've got faith that the Grems won't use this to stay side-lined if a friend comes under fire. Since there's no more papers to be signed, I'd like to state that I think most of us in Kronos consider the Grems our friends :)

I just hope that if someone decides to take the initiative and attack Grems (please do), that the world will prove the merit of this move with its support. I have no doubt of it.

Best of luck with this Grems, and I sincerely hope this will serve as an example for many other alliances. Even if they don't want to dive in head-first, at least simplify your paper by getting rid of those musty old treaties everyone knows are not representative of your relations. Most alliances have at least one of these... take it out back, and shoot it!

o/

EDIT: That's the other great thing about this move, it forces diplomats to be on their A game and not to lapse into complacency as is too often after a treaty gets signed. Grems will have to go out of their way to let their friends know who they are, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I'd rather that than be chained to people I haven't even spolen with for months. I think it's a good thing that people won't have as clear an idea what the sides in a war will be, it certainly makes curb-stomping harder. The one downside is that it may just lead to everyone having no guts at all and stagnation. But it will only take one alliance in a paperless world to set off quite a chain reaction.

*gets giddy at the thought of wars where courage actually means something*

Edited by Drostan

This is lame. Without treaties you can't be drawn into a war. This is just a weak passive move. You might aswell change your name to gpä..

Why would one need treaties to join a war? Just because it is a reason to join does not mean it is a prerequisite.

Well, this certainly saves you the trouble of having to wiggle out of treaty obligations. Way to be proactive and cancel them before you have to disregard them.

Can you link me towards some reading which would help me understand your hostility?

Perhaps I've overlooked some things that affirm your perspective.

They still have their treaty with MHA. And their ties to former allies such as us whom would be willing to fight for them if need be without the need of a treaty.

That is only one alliance. And I bet that treaty is non-chaining. So in the very slim chance that MHA gets attacked for no good reason Grä has to jump in. That will never happen. As for attacking alliances without treaties obligating you to do it, won't be done, will never be accepted. (sorry made that point already :P )

Question to the Grämlins: Do you still protect The Hives?

Joining a war without treaties is called 'bandwagoning'. That's why. It isn't accepted in this community.

Bandwagoning refers more to joining a lopsided war for no reason but to benefit yourself... either by sucking up to the winners, getting a tech raid, or getting a piece of the surrender terms.

Things that Gremlins have obviously showed a history of doing in the past. Right?

Joining a war without treaties is called 'bandwagoning'. That's why. It isn't accepted in this community.

Your definition of bandwagoning differs from mine.

I've always considered bandwagoning joining to further crush an opponent or to seek spoils of a low-risk war.

Bandwagoning refers more to joining a lopsided war for no reason but to benefit yourself... either by sucking up to the winners, getting a tech raid, or getting a piece of the surrender terms.

Things that Gremlins have obviously showed a history of doing in the past. Right?

Grämlins can easily decide which war to join now. Call me a pessimist, but I don't think they will join a certain losing fight now. They'll just say deplomacy with that alliance has been lacking the last few weeks and see no reason to join the conflict.

As for the history: Sure, but this has never been done. Have the Grämlins ever joined a war simply for friendship and without a treaty? Has anyone?

Your definition of bandwagoning differs from mine.

I've always considered bandwagoning joining to further crush an opponent or to seek spoils of a low-risk war.

Again. Grämlins could easily go for low-risk wars only. No-one could say anything about that, because formally they have to do nothing.

Anyone who touches them will see.

Them? Only one nation left. And I would have tried it if in my range. :P

Btw: Just like NSO the Grämlins basicly signed a ODP with the whole planet Bob. And that doctrine was lame too right?