Nostalgia - Great War II

Ardus

AirMe is the reason why the League did not nuke that war.
1. Failure of the Spectrum Defence Accords to take form.

2. Majority of our allies being too daft to exploit The League's nuclear weapon advantage.

3. The stupidity of 2006 Legion and ODN.

A memorable, but incredibly frustrating era for the three reasons outlined above.

Yes yes yes and I regret it to this day. Also my wife went into false labor, went to the hospital, came home and then negotiated peace. Ivan attempting to recruit me in the middle of preliminary peace negotiations was fun. Kick Banning 404 from peace negotiations was even more fun. LUE giving Sister Midnight from IRON Admin on their forums to prove the screenshot that Ivan was using as evidence was fake was priceless.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During that war I was the NPO's Lieutenant for Alpha Battalion. The smallest one. Just a quick note, but SirWilliam was my Quartermaster at the time, meaning he was responsible for organizing aid to those small nations. We were fairly unprepared, especially since we did not believe in war chests at the time. It was a radical concept since saving money usually meant your enemy had a chance at snagging a million, which was big bucks at the time. Heck, 100k was enough to pay your bills and with 500k you were set for a few days.

Well, I was in charge of these small nations. Most had no experience in war, and were quite a pathetic bunch. I did somehow hold that battalion together and it performed fairly well. Several of its members stayed active after the war. Benmecha, SeeFour, and a few others who I cannot remember at the time. Some are gone, but they were rather well known within the NPO during their time. Did some good things. Young blood.

As for Zeta, one of the mid-level battalions, that was a mess during the war. Since Alpha was mostly set I was assigned to coordinate Zeta as well, since its two or three Lts. were all inactive. One of the biggest problems faced was not lack of money, but aircraft. We thought those would be useless, and there was no reason to assume they were. They were new at the time, and relatively expensive considering how much money a million or so dollars was. NAAC had them though, and they pounded us with them. They were quite a problem, but after the war we mandated that all nations have them. Learned that lesson. NAAC also had tons of money. Members thought them ridiculous for doing it, call them banks and funding the war. They did get quite a lot, but NAAC members had millions. One even had $23 million sitting around I'm told. I think you could see that when you went to make attacks at the time. NAAC was planning for the war to go nuclear. Had they done it they would have won. They had the cash to see it through. We didn't.

Tamerlane was also doing something. He may have been in Zeta or Eta. I don't believe he was a Lt., but maybe he was. I know he did some fine coordination. Anyway, bank focused its money on the upper ranges. It didn't do much in the war though. It was in peace mode waiting fort the war to end so we could rebuild, so several members dipped into their own pockets. I remember SirWilliam funding all of Alpha is a well organized aid fall. But yes, that's all that I can remember.

Most of the Field Marshals, Frawley, Cuatela, Zhadum, etc. where useless when it came to the war. I had no contact with them, my main liason to the higher ups being Jack Tarr who was on the War Council. Other than he, they didn't really relay information to the Lts. who were running the actually fighting. Anthony was likely doing things, knowing him, and looking back I should have spoken to him and gotten some information and channels open. He was probably more focused on more important fronts. Let's face it. Small nations at that important in a big war.

Edit: Oh yes, fought Brotherlouie from GATO, TurboMammoth, epa protection, and dark_kilea in that war. Still keep in touch with Turbo when possible, and Brotherlouie if I ever see him around, which I haven't for awhile. Still wonder what happened to the other two. I think EPA disappeared during the GATO-1V War.

Edited by Rebel Virginia

Stomped Z'ha'dum and Llednar Twam in NPO (myself being in NAAC). Then got stomped by VE's top 3 nations (Egore, Peeko, and somebody else). It was hard to coordinate with my fireteam because [ooc]update was at 10pm, 6am, and 1pm for us...(sorry I don't know how to make that IC)[/ooc]

Well, I was in charge of these small nations. Most had no experience in war, and were quite a pathetic bunch. I did somehow hold that battalion together and it performed fairly well. Several of its members stayed active after the war. Benmecha, SeeFour, and a few others who I cannot remember at the time. Some are gone, but they were rather well known within the NPO during their time. Did some good things. Young blood.

I think I might have been Alpha at the time. I'd been around for a couple months, but I sucked at nation-building. Maybe I was a bit bigger actually.

I was in the NPO, I don't think I had really become active yet though. I was Lt. for GWIII though.

I remember the treaty web being nice and small (and people were already complaining about it), I remember NR almost getting the war started, I remember LUE surrendering and such.

I got beaten down by a couple nations from NAAC I think.

I was in Legion right before the war. I got the idea that they weren't going to enter, so I left for CDS, to fight ze ebil NPO. It was my first war ever, and I don't remember much. I do recall annoying the heck out of Shadow Slayer and others for intel, and being more active than most of the government. :awesome:

Aww no mention of me from RV, I feel so loved.

Mind you at this point I don't even remember what battallion I was lt. of anymore, but the war came just as I got a job as one. I know my nation was somewhere around a massive 10kns and I was just short of qualifying for nukes (I finally got them just shy of GW3 at a massive 16kns). Warchests at this point in time were a thing unheard of, and back collecting was a new thing GOONS were just starting to play with, so like RV mentioned nobody had money laying around... except NAAC who were ready to eat us alive, but were kept from doing so, much to our relief. However since things didn't go nuclear we were all loving the 1million loot on ground attacks though, I believe I came out ahead in that war money-wise, never having to pay more for bills and military than I looted, man back in the day you could do that sort of !@#$. I miss it, we need higher looting.

But yeah, comparing GW2 to this is just a sad thought. Back in the day we at least had wars when we had a large scale war, even one that's just setting the stage for another one down the line. Someone needs to pull the hippies out of power and just get everyone nuking each other. Because honestly, the game is way more fun around 10k global average ns, and if we could ever get a war harsh enough to get us back there I'd be very happy.

But then again )): Neutrals )):

Edited by Seerow

Aww no mention of me from RV, I feel so loved.

Mind you at this point I don't even remember what battallion I was lt. of anymore, but the war came just as I got a job as one.

Honestly I don't remember much of you prior to the post-GWIII era. Or maybe GWIII. We had you as a Captain in charge of overseeing a couple of battalions. But that wasn't until after I was War Council, as half of that council was useless. Chron had some good ideas, but was very inactive. Squintus was completely inactive. Lysdexia and I did all the work, and she eventually burned herself out, leaving for Valhalla during GWIII. So it was during that war that you and SW really came to prominence in the military. But I don't really remember much of GWII aside from what I did. I wasn't overseeing you at that time.

I remember, I think I was involved in one offensive war with three defensive from NAAC nations. Only reason I survived that war with my Infra-Intact was because I got around like a 500k aid for an airforce after mine was decimated. Ah, good times.

My war story for GWII? It goes something like this:

I declared war on the enemies of LUE, was defeated soundly within like 3 days, and surrendered. I consider it a defeat as noble as it was predictable. At any rate, it maintained the PPF's record of exactly zero wins in major wars.

The PPF: We know stability.

Meh, GWI was better. CoaLUEtion was awesome.

But really, even though GATO lost, GWII was rather fun. Don't remember who I fought though. I fought RandomInterrupt in either GWI or GWII, don't remember which one. Good guy.

Anthony was likely doing things, knowing him, and looking back I should have spoken to him and gotten some information and channels open. He was probably more focused on more important fronts. Let's face it. Small nations at that important in a big war.

Yes, refusing to make target lists because Ivan had a title and he didn't. Most of the lists were made within like, an hour of the war starting. Moo always wondered why nobody respected him; it's because it's unbecoming for an Emperor the Regent to get down on his knees and beg before a subordinate.

I was on klosterdev. He never fought back. Got jumped by Arctic, Stravus, and some other guy whose name escapes me. I was much bigger than all of them, but it was a fun fight. They finally got me into anarchy on the last night. They coordinated their attacks and I wasn't online to restock for whatever reason. I can't remember ever having more fun with in-game battles than GW2: no nukes, no curb-stomping, no gigantic warchests. The game will never be as good as it was back then simply because all the nuances hadn't been entirely figured out.

Edited by Elyat

You did NOT! Stop lying, Dilber. You just sat around eating tacos, drinking beer and watching reruns of "Bosom Buddies".

Actually yeah, that's about what he did during the war itself. Moo was running the show for that week at least, I actually forgot that he wasn't Emperor...

Actually yeah, that's about what he did during the war itself. Moo was running the show for that week at least, I actually forgot that he wasn't Emperor...

I see. Though I should point out that I consider eating tacos, drinking beer and watching reruns of bosom buddies to be a far superior use of ones time than actually trying to win a war. Just saying.

I was in IRON, so I didn't fight in GWII. I remember reading the OWF drama and generally sympathizing for The League though. I also remember the NR fiasco just prior to GWII.

I left IRON for ODN over a week into GWIII and almost got ZI'ed by some GOONS (started at 30k NS); I'm sure I fought Soviet Canuckistan and a few others as I got all my war slots filled. At that time IRON had instituted a "Closed Draft Period" which basically meant that anyone leaving during the war would not be allowed to return, mostly because they were anxious NPO would come after them if a bunch of IRONers left for Aegis and came back. About a year later I was told that it had been repealed or whatever, but I've stuck with ODN anyway. Partly it's because I was (and am) still miffed that my account on the IRON forums got deleted a few hours after I left, but mostly because ODN is a great buncha folks. :wub:

Edited by Caesius

I was in the NADC from the sidelines. Biggest disappointment was Legion and ODN not doing anything. I wanted GUARD to get in there to, but there was no hope in that happening.

Me too, but the point of GUARD was kinda sorta to *not* get in there, so I guess that worked.

Me too, but the point of GUARD was kinda sorta to *not* get in there, so I guess that worked.

I just looked up GUARD on the CN wiki, and of the 9 alliances that made it up, only two disbanded and a third (ASC) merged to form RoK. That's an amazing record compared to The League or WUT.