Nostalgia - Great War II

Ardus

Oh and who can forget leading up to that, Chris Kaos telling the League that GATO needed 2 weeks to prepare for war.

Brilliant. Although we needed more like 2 months than 2 weeks :P

Pulled a brilliant noob move by declaring 3 offensive wars on targets that had hit my squadmates. Immediately got counter attacked by 3 TOP nations and sent to ZI in about 4 or 5 days.

Favourite thread in the GATO forums was "I'm getting ZI'd, and loving it!". ^_^

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had recently ascended to IRON's council, and I was trying to get them to enter. I was way ahead of my time in IRON.

I was trying to get Loegaire, Grand Emperor Brian, Jpearson and the other members of the council to enter the war. I believe I talked with Empi a lot about it actually.

But yeah, comparing GW2 to this is just a sad thought. Back in the day we at least had wars when we had a large scale war, even one that's just setting the stage for another one down the line. Someone needs to pull the hippies out of power and just get everyone nuking each other. Because honestly, the game is way more fun around 10k global average ns, and if we could ever get a war harsh enough to get us back there I'd be very happy.

But then again )): Neutrals )):

It wouldn't work like that at all, we'd be back to the old numbers soon. The only way to achieve something like that would be if Admin made it possible that destroyed infra also starts slowly destroying all wonders and improvements at the same time. A nation with 0 infra but all economic wonders and all improvements available will jump back so quickly it's not even funny anymore.

I was in IRON, so I didn't fight in GWII. I remember reading the OWF drama and generally sympathizing for The League though. I also remember the NR fiasco just prior to GWII.

I left IRON for ODN over a week into GWIII and almost got ZI'ed by some GOONS (started at 30k NS); I'm sure I fought Soviet Canuckistan and a few others as I got all my war slots filled. At that time IRON had instituted a "Closed Draft Period" which basically meant that anyone leaving during the war would not be allowed to return, mostly because they were anxious NPO would come after them if a bunch of IRONers left for Aegis and came back. About a year later I was told that it had been repealed or whatever, but I've stuck with ODN anyway. Partly it's because I was (and am) still miffed that my account on the IRON forums got deleted a few hours after I left, but mostly because ODN is a great buncha folks. :wub:

Now that story reads similar to mine :D

I joined CN in Nobember, and IRON recruited me successfully into their ranks. I started getting interested and more involved in outer politics when the whole New Reverie Senate issue became hot. I was quickly sympathizing with the League+allies and opposing the evil NPO. I was disappointed that IRON chose neutradependency (now who still remembers that term? :awesome: ) over not helping out the League, and even more with ORRPLE not getting involved.

The rest is the same, I teamed up with Caesius and BigDaddyCha and we hit Soviet Canuckistan in GW3, I got my first nuke (though I had to sell it after the war because I couldn't afford the bills :awesome: ).

I long since got back to really appreciating IRON though :P

Oh man, that was 3 years ago, and the memories are great :D

Edited by shilo

The rest is the same, I teamed up with Caesius and BigDaddyCha and we hit Soviet Canuckistan in GW3, I got my first nuke (though I had to sell it after the war because I couldn't afford the bills :awesome: ).

Oh sup. That was the point where I was finally anarchied, after beating up hordes of ODN and CDS nations. Good work :v:

Edited by Sandwich Controversy

During that war I was the NPO's Lieutenant for Alpha Battalion. The smallest one. Just a quick note, but SirWilliam was my Quartermaster at the time, meaning he was responsible for organizing aid to those small nations. We were fairly unprepared, especially since we did not believe in war chests at the time. It was a radical concept since saving money usually meant your enemy had a chance at snagging a million, which was big bucks at the time. Heck, 100k was enough to pay your bills and with 500k you were set for a few days.

Well, I was in charge of these small nations. Most had no experience in war, and were quite a pathetic bunch. I did somehow hold that battalion together and it performed fairly well. Several of its members stayed active after the war. Benmecha, SeeFour, and a few others who I cannot remember at the time. Some are gone, but they were rather well known within the NPO during their time. Did some good things. Young blood.

As for Zeta, one of the mid-level battalions, that was a mess during the war. Since Alpha was mostly set I was assigned to coordinate Zeta as well, since its two or three Lts. were all inactive. One of the biggest problems faced was not lack of money, but aircraft. We thought those would be useless, and there was no reason to assume they were. They were new at the time, and relatively expensive considering how much money a million or so dollars was. NAAC had them though, and they pounded us with them. They were quite a problem, but after the war we mandated that all nations have them. Learned that lesson. NAAC also had tons of money. Members thought them ridiculous for doing it, call them banks and funding the war. They did get quite a lot, but NAAC members had millions. One even had $23 million sitting around I'm told. I think you could see that when you went to make attacks at the time. NAAC was planning for the war to go nuclear. Had they done it they would have won. They had the cash to see it through. We didn't.

Tamerlane was also doing something. He may have been in Zeta or Eta. I don't believe he was a Lt., but maybe he was. I know he did some fine coordination. Anyway, bank focused its money on the upper ranges. It didn't do much in the war though. It was in peace mode waiting fort the war to end so we could rebuild, so several members dipped into their own pockets. I remember SirWilliam funding all of Alpha is a well organized aid fall. But yes, that's all that I can remember.

Most of the Field Marshals, Frawley, Cuatela, Zhadum, etc. where useless when it came to the war. I had no contact with them, my main liason to the higher ups being Jack Tarr who was on the War Council. Other than he, they didn't really relay information to the Lts. who were running the actually fighting. Anthony was likely doing things, knowing him, and looking back I should have spoken to him and gotten some information and channels open. He was probably more focused on more important fronts. Let's face it. Small nations at that important in a big war.

Edit: Oh yes, fought Brotherlouie from GATO, TurboMammoth, epa protection, and dark_kilea in that war. Still keep in touch with Turbo when possible, and Brotherlouie if I ever see him around, which I haven't for awhile. Still wonder what happened to the other two. I think EPA disappeared during the GATO-1V War.

Both EPA and DK are gone unfortunately. EPA went nuclear in GATO-1v and quit. He was one of my best buddies, I miss him :(.

We had been doing it since before GWII, and established it in GWIII. We anarchied Frawley with it, and had several great attacks. Problem was the war engine was changed, and all the data we tracked went to hell in a hand basket. I blamed WC for it cause the SOB made it well known here and to admin.

I had it figured out since before then as well, just decided to share it with my allies for that war. NPO's war guide was hilariously outdated by that time.

Also the nuke plan that mq3eleven and I conceived during my stay in LUE would have really hurt us if League would've followed through with it.

And #initiative was the best channel ever at that time.

I was a NAAC senator at the time. I was in Diablo company. I hit Doitzel and 2 other NPO members then got hit by FAN the next night the one person I remember was Puckpilot. I was one of the few that wanted to take GWII nuclear but was shot down by the old members of NAAC saying that it went against everything that NAAC stood for. I did not fair too bad. After the war, FAN made such an impression on after I left NAAC, which in large part was because of decisions made during GWII, I joined FAN.

I was in the NADC from the sidelines. Biggest disappointment was Legion and ODN not doing anything. I wanted GUARD to get in there to, but there was no hope in that happening.

I tried mate. Went at the SecGen three times. Came close to rallying council opinion against his decision but ended up having to turn-face when promised a foreign affairs mandate with a militarily active GUARD; TTK was on board and chomping at the bit from what I recall but I ended up breaking the neutral bs news to NAAC and Legion.

I, in a brilliant move, deleted all of my level 8 planes in preparation for the infra jump I was planning the next day that would boost me to level 9 planes. Instead, I ended up at war with four GATO nations with superior airforces to mine. Gerald Meane saved the day with 250,000 dongs which I used to build some fighters and stem the infra losses. It was my first real war and despite my failure at the beginning I ended up taking control and inflicting heavier losses on my foes than they inflicted on me.

1. Failure of the Spectrum Defence Accords to take form.

2. Majority of our allies being too daft to exploit The League's nuclear weapon advantage.

3. The stupidity of 2006 Legion and ODN.

A memorable, but incredibly frustrating era for the three reasons outlined above.

Adding on to this post, an enjoyable moment was being blitzed by Moo, Vengashii, and Anthony and being placed in Anarchy during the opening night of the escalation. Then, on the following day from that state, placing each of them in Anarchy one after the other.