Nostalgia - Great War II

Ardus

GWII was the first war i fought Grub and MightMakesRight of NAAC. i stomped on MMR but Grub stomped on me back. that same thing would happen in GWIII as well.... my track record with Grub is at 0-2 for me. :( during the UjW i got the pleasure of fighting with Grub though.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember ever having more fun with in-game battles than GW2: no nukes, no curb-stomping, no gigantic warchests. The game will never be as good as it was back then simply because all the nuances hadn't been entirely figured out.

That was back in the days of the instant anarchy trick, though. So while not all nuances may have been known, someone (I think WC takes credit for it) figured out the most important one.

GWII was the first war i fought Grub and MightMakesRight of NAAC. i stomped on MMR but Grub stomped on me back. that same thing would happen in GWIII as well.... my track record with Grub is at 0-2 for me. :( during the UjW i got the pleasure of fighting with Grub though.

Actually... I might've fought Grub, too.

That was back in the days of the instant anarchy trick, though. So while not all nuances may have been known, someone (I think WC takes credit for it) figured out the most important one.

I tried that stupid thing over and over, we had our whole "guide" centred around it. Did not work once. Stupid WC. <_<

What is this "instant anarchy trick"?

Well, I might be wrong, but it was essentially a three-person dogpile with quads at update. I think NPO coordinated the first successful midnight blitz, but I also remember FAN having a reputation for war, and I think that was because they took the midnight blitz to its full potentially. Back then, anarchy happened a lot easier, and the game mechanics have been adjusted since then to make it very difficult to anarchy someone immediately - in those days, you wouldn't need the whole three-person midnight blitz to get anarchy, it's just that doing so would make the chances that you anarchy relatively high, even if the person was online. If the person was offline, you could get anarchy no problem if you had the firepower.

Actually... I might've fought Grub, too.

I tried that stupid thing over and over, we had our whole "guide" centred around it. Did not work once. Stupid WC. <_<

We had been doing it since before GWII, and established it in GWIII. We anarchied Frawley with it, and had several great attacks. Problem was the war engine was changed, and all the data we tracked went to hell in a hand basket. I blamed WC for it cause the SOB made it well known here and to admin.

First war ever. I was in the first wave. I remember our instructions were to only hit targets who hit ours so we would draw them out. I built up a small warchest and as big an army as I could get. I got hit by the NAAC pretty damn hard, thought I was out of it. Next day FAN hit them and anarchied them, with single slot of Bank aid (back when it meant something), I was able to take my targets to ZI.

Yes, refusing to make target lists because Ivan had a title and he didn't.

Ivan wasn't named Commandant until after the war I believe. As for target lists, we got most of ours from GOONS so there really was no need to make them. We did edit some though, I know I did that during GWIII for a counterattack on NAAC that never materialized. Spent a few hours on it and nothing happens. Imagine my relief. But yes, Anthony did coordinate things, I know that much.

Sigh...I have bad memories of GW2, mainly due to ODN/Legion's (Orrple) decision to not get in on the action. It was a decision i viewed with a great amount of disdain and infact led me to resign with the intention to join the ICP in their fight, however i left it too late and the war ended the day i posted my resignation :(

Orrple made some funny decisions but the failure to join GW2 must rank as the worse one ever.

I was with NAAC at the time, and deployed for going nuclear. I had a respectable warchest and planned to use Diskord's new turtling plan. At the time you didn't lose any money to defeat alerts.

Only the order never came. And deploying for going nuclear, when it doesn't, doesn't work out so well.

I was more or less brand new to the game, and under a different username. I did the noob thing and made my own alliance. We were actually going OK considering, and around New Years '07 we were talking with the NAAC Ambassador about a possible protectorate. Then war came, and never having visited the Big Boards or an IRC channel I had no idea what was going on. LUE's Ambassador asked for like, 100k (lol), and I gave it to him (lol). I then got jumped by two GOONS and a Nordreich. Being the whimsical noob I was I decided to disband the alliance after the war, and decided to join the NADC (mainly because the NADC Ambassador had a cool sig). There I actually learnt a few things about the game, and the rest is history.

Many fond memories of instant-anarchying the crap out of ODSers.

Edit: It never didn't work for me, by the way. You deployed a % of the defenders solds and all your tanks, and you got an anarchy in one hit every time by massive casualties. It was massive hax but it was endlessly useful.

Edited by Xiphosis

Actually yeah, that's about what he did during the war itself. Moo was running the show for that week at least, I actually forgot that he wasn't Emperor...

That's actually not true. I was handling WUT-coordination overall, along with diplomacy(covering different fields then Philo did), same as I did during GWIII.

Edited by Dilber

1. Failure of the Spectrum Defence Accords to take form.

2. Majority of our allies being too daft to exploit The League's nuclear weapon advantage.

3. The stupidity of 2006 Legion and ODN.

A memorable, but incredibly frustrating era for the three reasons outlined above.

Now I regret more because the Nº2, but back in time my frustation because ORRPLE weren't joining us was really big.

I was in Legion right before the war. I got the idea that they weren't going to enter, so I left for CDS, to fight ze ebil NPO. It was my first war ever, and I don't remember much. I do recall annoying the heck out of Shadow Slayer and others for intel, and being more active than most of the government. :awesome:

I remember us(You, me, Vormazen(?) and someone else) talking in MSN in update time about how amazing and fun this game was. Really good times.

Nation Created: 1/4/2007 11:28:02 AM

My nation existed, but I was not involved. Very deliberately. I knew much of what was going on from the thread on paradox forums, and could have dived in for the winning side without risk, gotten on the aid gravy train and had a much more powerful nation now as a result, but I just didnt want to play it that way. It just didnt fit my character concept at all. So I played unaligned for awhile, eventually drifting into neutral-alliance land, and only much later, rather involuntarily, became involved with the political game here.

Meh, GWI was better. CoaLUEtion was awesome.

But really, even though GATO lost, GWII was rather fun. Don't remember who I fought though. I fought RandomInterrupt in either GWI or GWII, don't remember which one. Good guy.

We fought in GW1. You are the only person I can remember fighting before GW3 I think. It's great that we both still remember what was probably a one-week war so long ago.

Overall I have a hard time remembering the politics of GW2. I know I fought in it but I can't remember who or what happened. Back then I was always involved with Polar's Foreign Affairs as well as Internal Affairs, and I think I spent most of my time before and during GW2 basically redoing Polar's entire structure. We started the war with the two councils and we ended with the structure that is in place today. I remember debating if we should wait for the war to end or risk a massive change in the middle of the war.

I enjoyed GW3 a bit more, as the conflict with the NAAC was a huge event for Polar. In GW2 we just marched and fought I suppose. There was some good forum posts going on. Some of the crap going between the League and the Initiative was hilarious.