My opinion is very important

lamuella

We live, as has been said, in interesting times.

At the moment, there are large things happening in foreign affairs that have the potential to affect the entire cyberverse. Major players are playing majorly, feelings are stirred up, emotions are running high. Everyone is well aware that, to put this in base terms, this incident is getting its own page on the wiki.

As a result, there are a lot of people who want to voice their opinions on various matters relating to this conflict. The threads that announced the various parts of the war in Alliance Announcements are multi-page beasts that grow at an alarming rate. People with long and storied histories playing CN are in the process, so it seems, of writing the next chapter of that history.

And, understandably, lots of people want in on the action.

They don't want to just reply in the threads, because replies get lost in the shuffle. They want people to pay attention. The simplest way to do that is to start threads of their own where they share their opinion or re-hash what they think is an important aspect of the war. Here are some of the recent threads started in Open World RP and in World Affairs:

"This little spat from my perspective"

"Karma is the new Hegemony?"

"Bob makes no sense."

"Dear Karma"

"I STAYED UP ALL NIGHT FOR THIS?"

"How High Does GRL Climb?"

"Hey, guess what"

"The ??? War"

"The TPF Conflict"

"So I was just wondering......"

"Calm Before The Storm?"

"A Plea For Restraint"

"TPF MDoAP Treaties: An analysis in light of current events"

"Wait wait wait"

"Treaty Partners of The Phoenix Federation"

"War or no War?"

"Who will declare in TPF's defense?"

"TPF Allies-not so much"

Without intending any insult at all to the posters of these threads - many of whom are excellent players of the game and very nice people - how many of these threads were expressing something that truly needed its own thread? Some of these (not all) felt distinctly like a cry for personal validation from the poster in question rather than a genuine spur for discussion.

People, I understand full well the need to express yourself. I understand less well the need for every single person to start a thread on the particular hair they wish to split with regards to this conflict. Before starting a new thread, try asking yourself: could this point have been made as a reply to an existing thread?

If you still feel the need to highlight your opinion separate from that of other posters, might I suggest getting a blog?

Note: I am entirely aware that most of the criticisms I have levied at others for starting threads about unimportant stuff could equally be levied at myself for making this a thread in its own right rather than replying to someone else. That is in fact the point.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment, there are large things happening in foreign affairs that have the potential to affect the entire cyberverse. Major players are playing majorly, feelings are stirred up, emotions are running high. Everyone is well aware that, to put this in base terms, this incident is getting its own page on the wiki.

As a result, there are a lot of people who want to voice their opinions on various matters relating to this conflict. The threads that announced the various parts of the war in Alliance Announcements are multi-page beasts that grow at an alarming rate. People with long and storied histories playing CN are in the process, so it seems, of writing the next chapter of that history.

They don't want to just reply in the threads, because replies get lost in the shuffle. They want people to pay attention. The simplest way to do that is to start threads of their own where they share their opinion or re-hash what they think is an important aspect of the war. Here are some of the recent threads started in Open World RP and in World Affairs:

"Bob makes no sense."

"Dear Karma"

"Hey, guess what"

"The ??? War"

"The TPF Conflict"

"Calm Before The Storm?"

"A Plea For Restraint"

"Wait wait wait"

"War or no War?"

"TPF Allies-not so much"

Without intending any insult at all to the posters of these threads - many of whom are excellent players of the game and very nice people - how many of these threads were expressing something that truly needed its own thread? Some of these (not all) felt distinctly like a cry for personal validation from the poster in question rather than a genuine spur for discussion.

People, I understand full well the need to express yourself. I understand less well the need for every single person to start a thread on the particular hair they wish to split with regards to this conflict. Before starting a new thread, try asking yourself: could this point have been made as a reply to an existing thread?

If you still feel the need to highlight your opinion separate from that of other posters, might I suggest getting a blog?

Note: I am entirely aware that most of the criticisms I have levied at others for starting threads about unimportant stuff could equally be levied at myself for making this a thread in its own right rather than replying to someone else. That is in fact the point.

The only problem with the blog idea, and I think its a pretty good idea, is that blogs are not directly linked, so an out of sight, out of mind thing may happen. Forum posts are simply an easier vehicle. Laziness FTW!

Lamuella this thread is an obvious cry for attention and personal validation, you have become the demon you sought to destroy.

No I'm joking, please don't raise reps or realize I can't possibly pay them on time anymore :(

For the peanut gallery, the best way to get attention is to do something unique that everyone hates, I have done nothing important yet everyone knows who I am.

Damn it! The only time i post something more than a couple lines on this forum (as well as my first OP) and i get the first billing on a "pointless topics started" list. I started it because i thought that neither side was seeing this thing the way i did and i didnt want to hijack someone else's topic. This is why i shouldnt open my mouth.

Edited by the damned

you know what I find funny? You don't care? Well to bad! Imma tell you anyways.

I find it funny that people get so uptight about forum posting. Its a public forum, the idea is to post your thoughts and ideas, so what if its original or unoriginal. its kind of annoying to read 800 page threads.

By your logic we can have one thread, entitled "Current Events on Planet Bob" and we can all post in that.

Forums are a vehicle to express your thoughts and ideas with other community members, just as you are doing here, so get off your high horse and enjoy the show.

PS. For someone with 13,000 posts I also find it funny that you are claiming that other people are seeking attention on these forums.

oh good, ad hominem attacks, the mark of any quality response.

you misinterpret my logic. There's a clear reason why we don't just have a thread called "Current Events on Planet Bob", namely that nobody would have a clue how to look through it or find information they were looking for. There is no such clear reason not to object to the presence of a thousand variants on the theme of "and this is what I think of the war".

You're entitled to your opinion. You're entitled to post your opinion. I'm entitled to point out when your opinion is boring, irritating, idiotic, or best posted somewhere else, as I did with this thread.

"Bob makes no sense."

"Dear Karma"

"Hey, guess what"

"The ??? War"

"The TPF Conflict"

"Calm Before The Storm?"

"A Plea For Restraint"

"Wait wait wait"

"War or no War?"

"TPF Allies-not so much"

You know your sig pretty much says it all, you are a monster. :P

how many of these threads were expressing something that truly needed its own thread?

Any of them that has the author Kzoppistan are ones that truly need their own thread. B)

Also, I happened to notice that your topic wasn't in the list. :lol1:

Edited by Kzoppistan

Any of them that has the author Kzoppistan are ones that truly need their own thread. B)

Also, I happened to notice that your topic wasn't in the list. :lol1:

I put it in blue and everything

Here are some of the recent threads started in Open World RP and in World Affairs

Several of them not in the correct one of those two. If you're going to make a pointless thread, please (i) reconsider or (ii) post it in the correct place. If you're making an argument about alliances, CBs, individuals or wars, it's probably IC.

Our modding sticks get all worn and broken when you keep making us use them :(

Depends on the subject at hand. Sigrun's threads were very informative and rich in discussions, rather than the typical "NO U."

The problem is, now when anyone wishes to post a legitimate thread they'll be tagged as attention whores merely because too many useless topics were already created.

Each thread has its own potential. To automatically clarify these people as attentions whores is baseless. Where is (IRC name: Doitzel's) thread? How does his differ from some others? I liked his thread, maybe didn't agree, but liked it nonetheless as it showed an interesting perspective on him, his ideas, and his history. Each thread has its own points, for the most part.

This is the problem. People point at some people and call them attention whores while others are simply disregarded. Though some are, we shouldn't be allowed to clarify them all under the same group.

Edited by Ejayrazz

Bizarre thread. No-one is forcing you to read those threads, and in most cases it's quite clear what they are going to contain by the title alone, so no-one is forcing you to open them either.

It is perfectly natural for there to be an increase in opinions and discussion during war-time and if folk want to create their own threads so that their own personal opinion can be discussed then they are perfectly entitled to do so. Really, if these threads are really as unworthy as you suggest that they are then they will not be replied to and will disappear in no time. The fact that this has not happened suggests that they have some merit.

Edited by Aimee Mann

Depends on the subject at hand. Sigrun's threads were very informative and rich in discussions, rather than the typical "NO U."

The problem is, now when anyone wishes to post a legitimate thread they'll be tagged as attention whores merely because too many useless topics were already created.

Each thread has its own potential. To automatically clarify these people as attentions whores is baseless. Where is (IRC name: Doitzel's) thread? How does his differ from some others? I liked his thread, maybe didn't agree, but liked it nonetheless as it showed an interesting perspective on him, his ideas, and his history. Each thread has its own points, for the most part.

This is the problem. People point at some people and call them attention whores while others are simply disregarded. Though some are, we shouldn't be allowed to clarify them all under the same group.

This. In the same vein, what made Archon's topic more justifiable than, say, AUTs? Could he not have just quoted someone calling them Karma?

This. In the same vein, what made Archon's topic more justifiable than, say, AUTs? Could he not have just quoted someone calling them Karma?

No matter what you think of his message, Archon actually made arguments in his thread.

The AUT's post was simply a "no u," something that could just have easily been posted in response to Archon's thread since it offered nothing else of substance. It also was posted in the OOC section, which made little sense, except to emphasize that he was only speaking for himself and not an alliance or bloc or he would have posted his new thread in the alliance politics section.

Perhaps if the AUT would have had included some development of his "no u" feelings, and posted in the World Affairs section, some worthwhile dialogue could have taken place in his thread.

Just a guess.

Edited by Fantastico

Blue is my schlock. Also, I think you may have left a few off of that list of yours.