My opinion is very important

lamuella

from my understanding, "ad hominem" is not just an attack on character is an attack on an irrelevant characteristic. Since the premise of your OP was that people were crying for attention and shouldn't be. I attacked the credibility of your character by pointing out that you had 13,000 posts (many many times your average poster).

Anyway, Ad hominem is not just a simple attack on a arguers credibility, its an irrelevant attack on arguers credibility. Post count, in argument about attention whoring is not irrelevant.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The posts following his first one were definitely ad hom attacks. However, the post where he talked about your 13000 posts, that's up in the air. You said it was an ad hom attack, which is a reasonable conclusion; but one could make the case that that particular post wasn't. Or if it was, it was a rather tame one. I apologize I can't quote or write appropriately; but I am using my cellphone.

No Sir, it's an attack on your credibility to make such an argument. And its perfectly valid to address the credibility of the a person presenting a view point. Do you disagree?

from my understanding, "ad hominem" is not just an attack on character is an attack on an irrelevant characteristic. Since the premise of your OP was that people were crying for attention and shouldn't be. I attacked the credibility of your character by pointing out that you had 13,000 posts (many many times your average poster).

what does my postcount have to do with whether I'm crying out for attention? I use the out of character areas of the boards a lot.

I was complaining about a specific kind of topic that has been started a lot lately. The correct way of attacking my credibility would be to find examples of similar behavior from me, not just show that I use the forums a lot. The only topics I have started in the OWF or associated forums are in-character announcements in my role as a government member, a joke post from last April mocking the kind of people who make self-important posts in the middle of wars with "their take" on events, and an informative guide on how not to get raided or rolled. Ergo I had no similar behavior, ergo you were attacking me rather than attacking my argument, and thus your attack was ad hominem.