karma with a small 'k'

ChairmanHal

I was looking over announcements in the AA this evening local time and noted a Valhalla thread that had been dug back up after a few days of inactivity. In that thread I notice that Uhtred had quoted me in his sig.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...karma is a !@#$%*.

I wondered what became of that quote and searching back for where I first used that term was something I simply don't have the patience to do. Now for the full quote:

"Polaris' hands have so much blood on them from events that happened from October onward, you don't even need to go back to GW IV. Let's also not forget the plots, the threats to various alliances, and so forth that happened during that same time frame, the effort to break up the Continuum included.

No, Polaris is deserving of many things, support and sympathy not being one of them.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times...karma is a !@#$%*. "

That was in response to one of many Doitzel's remarks in defense of Polaris on September 6, 2008. We have seen the theme of karma play out time and again on Planet Bob. GOONS disregard for the IC/OOC line and their abuse of other alliances and nations lead in large part to their downfall. Legion's attempts to take short cuts and spy their way to some victory. The tendency for Nordreich's leadership to look the other way too long in terms of some of their membership's use of Planet Bob for white supremacist recruiting. GPA's corrupt, at times inept, and overly complex leadership structure that ultimately failed to recognize the storm clouds around it.

This is not to say that every alliance alliance that falls to the sword is getting what they deserve (or that every alliance that lives wrongly always gets what is coming to them), any more than those that administer beat downs are somehow God's hand sent to smite the evildoers.

Putting aside the long laundry list of charges dating bck to 2006 against NPO, some of it justified, some less so (excuse me while I get the forklift...), I'm afraid their inclusion in the hall of infamy is still justified. This is an alliance that knew it had enemies, knew those enemies were plotting against it, was warned well in advance of such plots, had become overly bureaucratic and slow to react, and attempted to take short cuts to quickly resolve a crisis, and was very nearly left completely alone and without friends as a result--and would have been so if not for the many months (years) of friendship it had enjoyed with a number of alliances, Valhalla being one.

Sidenote: That Valhalla was going to enter the war as part of Q was never in question...sorry to disappoint. However, the calls of "chicken" from some did serve to raise morale to a fever pitch, so those of you who did this should now immediately send a note of apology to Poison Clan.

This war therefore is not about OV (they were a pawn from day 1) or even Archon getting out front of a group that was already mostly assembled long before he turned on his microphone...it is indeed a case of karma in action.

As for KARMA, the not-so-ragtag coalition soon to be featured blowing up an even larger version of the Death Star in a feature film being projected at a movie house near you, a tip of the hat. Ego firmly in check if you please. Had NPO been at the top of its game as it once was, the knock on the door you would have received Christmas Eve wouldn't have been Santa Claus. It would have been NPO and load of stormtroopers bearing a very valid CB with lovely screenshots to back it all up tied up in a ribbon and bow suitable to be used as a noose. A lot of things had to go right to get you where you are now. Others had tried and failed spectacularly at times, humorously at others. Always remember that.

clint-eastwood-picture-3.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ITT, ChairmanHal re-affirms that he knew everything before everyone else, single-handedly almost turned the tide in his side's favour, assures us that they purposely were not trying hard enough to deny us a victory, and then tells us all to keep our egos in check.

I ask everyone to please reverse-bow your heads and join me in a moment of lol.

Edited by Doitzel

That's not really what he's saying at all, Doitzel. He is saying that just as karma came to GOONS and GPA, so has it now come to NPO and their allies. What does this imply? Well, I'll tell you what it implies. That anyone in the current Karma Coalition who uses their new position on top to step on the toes of others will have karma come right on back around and smack them in the face one day. A very good read, Hal.

ITT, ChairmanHal re-affirms that he knew everything before everyone else, single-handedly almost turned the tide in his side's favour, assures us that they purposely were not trying hard enough to deny us a victory, and then tells us all to keep our egos in check.

I ask everyone to please reverse-bow your heads and join me in a moment of lol.

Says the person who has experienced the affects of negative karma perhaps the most of anyone who is on Planet Bob, save perhaps for Electron Sponge. he at least seems to get it. You on the other hand are hopeless.

Sidenote: That Valhalla was going to enter the war as part of Q was never in question...sorry to disappoint. However, the calls of "chicken" from some did serve to raise morale to a fever pitch, so those of you who did this should now immediately send a note of apology to Poison Clan.

Are you trying to say that the calls of "chicken" fueled some kind of extra push to your fight? I sure hope not, because despite facing Chefjoe, TRON IX, and Lord Philip as well as three Phoenix nations, this war has been a breeze.

Lord Philip: 17k infra -> 10.4k infra

Chefjoe: 10k infra -> 4.2k infra

TRON IX: 11k infra -> 3.5k infra

Fighting six wars, I went from 5.8k infra to under 1k infra a pair of times, and still had the balance of wins against all six opponents.

Oh, and don't forget TRON IX began turtling after the first nuke.

The "mighty Valhalla warrior." I have experienced the phenomenon. I was shocked.. at how easy this war has been.

I can only imagine this war had you not been given the opportunity to get pumped up. :lol:

Had NPO been at the top of its game as it once was, the knock on the door you would have received Christmas Eve wouldn't have been Santa Claus. It would have been NPO and load of stormtroopers bearing a very valid CB with lovely screenshots to back it all up tied up in a ribbon and bow suitable to be used as a noose. A lot of things had to go right to get you where you are now. Others had tried and failed spectacularly at times, humorously at others. Always remember that.

I don't think it's been forgotten that others have tried and failed. Many of us have belonged to groups that have failed in times past. Karma was no accident. Wars of this magnitude and the victories that follow are the result of patience, planning, and strategy. It also doesn't hurt when the opposing side has brought it on themselves. It wasn't that some guys woke up one morning and decided they would take down the largest alliance in the game. In fact, it's not about their size at all, but from Karma's perspective, the abuse of power by those wielding it. As once said, "With great power comes great responsibility". This is not to say that every action ever taken by the NPO was meant to be a power play, but the offenses committed by them are why they face judgment now.

If anything, one should issue a wake up call to the members of the NPO. Many believe they fight for the greater cause. They're just not clear on what that cause is. Nation leaders who belong to the NPO and have been taken care of in their time there, have forged friendships, and have only seen the world around them the way their leaders would have them to. Fighting for friendship, loyalty, etc....all those things are admirable. However, these members should stand back and look at what their alliance represents. Ask themselves if they truly stand for the same principles as those they pledge their allegiance to. Ask themselves if they really understand what this war is all about.

I think about those movies and commercials where big brother offers some weed to the little man, and he takes it, just wanting to fit in and be accepted. He would do anything for big brother if it means he's accepted because big brother has always looked out for him...doesn't matter that big brother is a street thug who beats people down and robs the innocent. Little man can't see that side of big brother. He is honored to be in his presence.

Not the best analogy, but it gets my point across. Eventually, the community cries out for the streets to be cleaned up and people take action despite the odds and the obstacles they may encounter. What's right is right, and justice must be served.

Don't ever forget that. It's called Karma.

That's not really what he's saying at all, Doitzel.

Yes it is:

ITT, ChairmanHal re-affirms that he knew everything before everyone else
This is an alliance that knew it had enemies, knew those enemies were plotting against it, was warned well in advance of such plots...
This war therefore is not about OV (they were a pawn from day 1) or even Archon getting out front of a group that was already mostly assembled long before he turned on his microphone...

Hal has been bleating this line for a week.

... single-handedly almost turned the tide in his side's favour ...
This is an alliance that knew it had enemies, knew those enemies were plotting against it, was warned well in advance of such plots, had become overly bureaucratic and slow to react, and attempted to take short cuts to quickly resolve a crisis, and was very nearly left completely alone and without friends as a result--and would have been so if not for the many months (years) of friendship it had enjoyed with a number of alliances, Valhalla being one.

A bit weak there but hey, I'm allowed some leeway. I'm a hater. Fortunately, if the OV thing had not happened Hal himself probably would've been the CB for this war. I bet that was his plan, too. Anything for another five minutes in the spotlight. The result would have been the same, though.

... assures us that they purposely were not trying hard enough to deny us a victory ...
Had NPO been at the top of its game as it once was, the knock on the door you would have received Christmas Eve wouldn't have been Santa Claus. It would have been NPO and load of stormtroopers bearing a very valid CB with lovely screenshots to back it all up tied up in a ribbon and bow suitable to be used as a noose. A lot of things had to go right to get you where you are now. Others had tried and failed spectacularly at times, humorously at others. Always remember that.

Really, that's just sad.

and then tells us all to keep our egos in check.
As for KARMA, the not-so-ragtag coalition soon to be featured blowing up an even larger version of the Death Star in a feature film being projected at a movie house near you, a tip of the hat. Ego firmly in check if you please.

So yeah. He was saying all those things.

The thing here is that Hal is trying to tell us that they'll be back for revenge. Right, because we didn't already know that. What's funny is that he's trying to do it with a smug sense of moral superiority from his fugitive's quarters in Valhalla. That's really rich. This guy has been claiming from the start of the war to have been a mastermind behind Karma while simultaneously strutting around correcting everyone on the innermost happenings of Q, completely ignoring any and all evidence provided. Now he's citing this war as a natural cycle of misdeeds and retribution and has the gall to call up the GPA as a good example of it. The thing with karma is that it implies some sense of proportion as a mechanism of cause and effect. Whereas Karma's actions are following this principle, none of those that Hal is now defending as upholding this law have done so.

Karma is not the same as your precious little Hegemony. You can take your advice and feigned goodwill with your smug implications of impending doom for our "transgressions" and shove it.

At least MCXA and I believe TPF admitted they tried to run and that it was a terrible, dick move that they regretted. Some of you still deny it (not to mention I do believe you entered in terms of the treaty with TPF and completely ignored NPO but whatev, however I could have just missed that DoW).

Sorry, I remain skeptical as to your motives. If it was some sort of tactic, it was a terrible and idiotic one. And apparently it wasn't one you told to NPO.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel your current alliance's karma is?

We'll get through the current difficulties. Well maybe Bob Sanders won't. :lol:

I can only imagine this war had you not been given the opportunity to get pumped up.

No one's questioning your fight prowess, TR. Are you at least having fun?

You're still saying GPA deserved what they got? Valhalla deserves you.

I'm saying that's the consensus of all the people I've talked to from GPA since that war, as well as my own.

And yes, Valhalla does deserve me...God help them.

Maybe this gets back to bzelger's point.

Karma is not the same as your precious little Hegemony. You can take your advice and feigned goodwill with your smug implications of impending doom for our "transgressions" and shove it.

I'm going to do you a big favor at this point and make you the sole member of my 'ignore' list for these forums. Mind you, I'm going to have to find the setting for it, since I've never actually used it before, ever.

The "hegemony" is not mine, nor do I wish to be called a member of an organization that doesn't exist.

Your transgressions, sir, are quite well documented. Your fall from grace also equally well documented. Since you very clearly do not care to listen to what I'm actually saying, then I will no longer listen you. Period.

I find it so odd reading your posts lately. Its like a different character all of a sudden. Just about as much of a 180 as when I went from being a GPA member to NPO and the subsequent changes in my attitudes and point of view expressed on the OWF.

If you didnt lace this with the pro valhalla spin and GPA deserved it crap, I guess I would take more time to argue against your points, but clearly you live in a different CN world at the moment and this really just looks like, well what doitzel and others said.

Is this going to be a new tactic of the pro-NPO troll squads? Blame some ambiguous global conspiracy for betraying NPO? NPO did themselves in with their antics and anybody who denies that is either lying, delusional or just plain blind.

"Pro-NPO troll squad"? :lol:

I didn't address the issue simply because the evidence presented was conviction enough. NPO knows what it did last summer...and the summer before that...and the summer before that.

I just didn't see the point in making the thread into a 30 page pointless alliance ethics urination contest. NPO did things that universally weren't good (I'll refrain from using 'evil'), they did things that have been called not good by others who have done them themselves, and they've done some things that [ooc]were just good game play like I'd expect to see on any given Friday night of the game 'Diplomacy'[/ooc]. Enough said in regard to that point.

Officially a bawwwwwwwwww thread. You tried to run and you were shamed into coming back.

I'll give you a sneak preview of how this thread will go...

Us: Brave Valhalla ran away.

Hal: No!

Us: Bravely ran away away.

Hal: I didn't!

Us: When Karma reared it's nuclear head, they bravely turned their tail and fled.

Us: Yes, brave Valhalla turned about

Us: And gallantly they chickened out.

Officially a bawwwwwwwwww thread. You tried to run and you were shamed into coming back.

I'll give you a sneak preview of how this thread will go...

Us: Brave Valhalla ran away.

Us: Bravely ran away away.

Us: When Karma reared it's nuclear head, they bravely turned their tail and fled.

Us: Yes, brave Valhalla turned about

Us: And gallantly they chickened out.

I love you. But you are no Stumpy )):

Also Vilien they've tried with most of us. In my case, they've tried MANY times.

I'm going to do you a big favor at this point and make you the sole member of my 'ignore' list for these forums. Mind you, I'm going to have to find the setting for it, since I've never actually used it before, ever.

The "hegemony" is not mine, nor do I wish to be called a member of an organization that doesn't exist.

Your transgressions, sir, are quite well documented. Your fall from grace also equally well documented. Since you very clearly do not care to listen to what I'm actually saying, then I will no longer listen you. Period.

Man it must be really horrible having some git quoting your every post to parrot the same annoying platitudes. It'd take some serious fortitude to put up with that for even more than a day.

Point Doitzel.