Foreign Policy Statement From the New Polar Order, a declaration of intent

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lollerobot said:

Out of interest, why do sign off as electron sponge when your username is Electron Sponge?

because of the vagaries of how Invision Power Board worked in 2007

59 minutes ago, jerdge said:

The only resource that still matters something in this old, old place is irony, and we all know who possesses it and who doesn't.

stop spoiling the magic, jerdge

One might wonder why the leader of an alliance would make such a statement, seemingly unnecessarily ruffling feathers when it would be easier to go along to get along. I offer the following quotes, found in Walford's old signature:

"The thing is, Polaris knows it does itself no favors at certain points and the consequences are something they accept. I guess that's why it's somewhat unique for a major alliance. They don't pretend to like anyone or walk on as many egg shells as possible." - Roquentin

"That's called integrity. I now officially LOVE the New Polar Order." - walford

Some have said that the New Polar Order is not large nor powerful enough to be making such statements, implying that we should keep our mouths shut, cowering in fear. Anyone who knows us is aware that is not our way. 

We are who we are and do not care who likes it.

Having served in NONE and the LoFN, I can attest that a small group can successfully resist an onslaught by a much larger gang of bullies. Many demanded apologies and reparations for having the temerity of fighting back in the face of an unprovoked attack. Eventually, their members tired of bleeding at the hands of fanatics who obviously would never surrender, so all the leadership got for their trouble was loss of funds, nation strength and pride.  

Similarly, the enemies of Polaris have found that it is NEVER profitable to attack us. We will fight, even when the odds are against us. Do not expect us to turtle. The unwary will decide to take us on, only to find that they have gained nothing but damage that will take months from which to recover. 

Most of the time, I do not know what the political reasons may be for being engaged in yet another war. But I trust our leadership, take pride in fighting alongside members who are willing to sustain more damage than our enemies if that is what it takes to maintain our integrity. 

We may be small, but are fierce. Trifle with the New Polar Order at your peril.

Hail Electron Sponge and our leaders!

Hail Polaris!

1 hour ago, Morgaine said:

One might wonder why the leader of an alliance would make such a statement, seemingly unnecessarily ruffling feathers when it would be easier to go along to get along. I offer the following quotes, found in Walford's old signature:

Some have said that the New Polar Order is not large nor powerful enough to be making such statements, implying that we should keep our mouths shut, cowering in fear. Anyone who knows us is aware that is not our way. 

We are who we are and do not care who likes it.

Having served in NONE and the LoFN, I can attest that a small group can successfully resist an onslaught by a much larger gang of bullies. Many demanded apologies and reparations for having the temerity of fighting back in the face of an unprovoked attack. Eventually, their members tired of bleeding at the hands of fanatics who obviously would never surrender, so all the leadership got for their trouble was loss of funds, nation strength and pride.  

Similarly, the enemies of Polaris have found that it is NEVER profitable to attack us. We will fight, even when the odds are against us. Do not expect us to turtle. The unwary will decide to take us on, only to find that they have gained nothing but damage that will take months from which to recover. 

Most of the time, I do not know what the political reasons may be for being engaged in yet another war. But I trust our leadership, take pride in fighting alongside members who are willing to sustain more damage than our enemies if that is what it takes to maintain our integrity. 

We may be small, but are fierce. Trifle with the New Polar Order at your peril.

Hail Electron Sponge and our leaders!

Hail Polaris!

Roq, Walford, NONE, LoFN (and Morgaine) in one place... my CN day is complete.

Thanks! 👍

36 minutes ago, Morgaine said:

Most of the time, I do not know what the political reasons may be for being engaged in yet another war.

Y'know, fair enough, you're not political and this sphere isn't the one you put your energy into. That's true for a lot of folks in this world, and there are other fulfilling things (socializing, nationbuilding, casualties) worth pursuing instead. 

But, since you've shown an interest, I did want to bring you up to speed by pointing out that y'all managed to betray virtually every alliance around over the course of the last war:

• Leading up to it, Polar plotted with one set of your allies (Group A) against another set of your allies (Group B) for the cardinal sin of *checks notes* letting you join a bloc that you wanted to join and then becoming bored.
  • Then, as that war began breaking out, you changed your mind about betraying the Group B allies at the last minute, betraying Group A instead, canceling and attacking them.
  • Then, you had your first internal freakout and uncanceled the Group A allies, but kept fighting their friends.
  • Then, you had your second internal freakout and kept fighting the Group A allies' friends, but also started fighting the Group B allies' friends. 
  • Finally, you betrayed Group B, canceling and attacking them.

Nobody forced y'all to ally literally 12 of the other 14 largest non-neutral alliances, or to stay allied to them all for years. You deliberately wrapped yourselves up in a diplomatic straitjacket and then had a panic attack and blamed everyone else for it. "Why can't I move? It must be that guy's fault! Or maybe her fault! It couldn't possibly be mine!"

I dislike Sponge on a personal level, but he was absolutely right to recognize that Polar's situation had become ridiculous and was throwing a wrench in the works for everyone. As I've said before to folks on both sides of the aisle: it's a good thing you finally picked a side and stuck to it. Polar's indecision had paralyzed much of the world.

----------------------

Incidentally, the "we're small but fierce" thing is just silly. Polar was the sixth-largest alliance entering the last war, and it's still the seventh-largest now. As has been noted, almost the entirety of its strength is located in a different range than several of the alliances ahead of it, so it's functionally one of the strongest alliances in the mid-tier and low-tier. 

Just a few months ago, your leaders and allies were crowing about how you had totally overthrown the hegemony and it didn't matter that you statistically lost the war because you had achieved your strategic objective. Now, you're falling back on the "gee whiz, join us cool underdogs fighting the big bad hegemony" line. Either you must have decisively lost the peace in these few short months, or you're just making whatever argument is convenient for your propaganda in the moment.

13 minutes ago, Sarkin said:

Incidentally, the "we're small but fierce" thing is just silly. Polar was the sixth-largest alliance entering the last war, and it's still the seventh-largest now. As has been noted, almost the entirety of its strength is located in a different range than several of the alliances ahead of it, so it's functionally one of the strongest alliances in the mid-tier and low-tier. 

I just realised that the Knights of the Round Table are bigger than New Polar Order now, that's hilarious!

3 hours ago, Sarkin said:

Y'know, fair enough, you're not political and this sphere isn't the one you put your energy into. That's true for a lot of folks in this world, and there are other fulfilling things (socializing, nationbuilding, casualties) worth pursuing instead. 

But, since you've shown an interest, I did want to bring you up to speed by pointing out that y'all managed to betray virtually every alliance around over the course of the last war:

• Leading up to it, Polar plotted with one set of your allies (Group A) against another set of your allies (Group B) for the cardinal sin of *checks notes* letting you join a bloc that you wanted to join and then becoming bored.
  • Then, as that war began breaking out, you changed your mind about betraying the Group B allies at the last minute, betraying Group A instead, canceling and attacking them.
  • Then, you had your first internal freakout and uncanceled the Group A allies, but kept fighting their friends.
  • Then, you had your second internal freakout and kept fighting the Group A allies' friends, but also started fighting the Group B allies' friends. 
  • Finally, you betrayed Group B, canceling and attacking them.

Nobody forced y'all to ally literally 12 of the other 14 largest non-neutral alliances, or to stay allied to them all for years. You deliberately wrapped yourselves up in a diplomatic straitjacket and then had a panic attack and blamed everyone else for it. "Why can't I move? It must be that guy's fault! Or maybe her fault! It couldn't possibly be mine!"

I dislike Sponge on a personal level, but he was absolutely right to recognize that Polar's situation had become ridiculous and was throwing a wrench in the works for everyone. As I've said before to folks on both sides of the aisle: it's a good thing you finally picked a side and stuck to it. Polar's indecision had paralyzed much of the world.

----------------------

Just a few months ago, your leaders and allies were crowing about how you had totally overthrown the hegemony and it didn't matter that you statistically lost the war because you had achieved your strategic objective. Now, you're falling back on the "gee whiz, join us cool underdogs fighting the big bad hegemony" line. Either you must have decisively lost the peace in these few short months, or you're just making whatever argument is convenient for your propaganda in the moment.

Yeah, and *checks notes*  this is literally a Wendy's drive-thru. But by all means, do go off!

5 hours ago, Sarkin said:

There is no longer a hegemony on Planet Bob. I think jerdge put it best when he said (and I’m paraphrasing based on memory) that any political coalition that fails to decisively win a war against an opponent cannot be considered a hegemony. There are now a few different coalitions that have varying degrees of power, but none have the power to exert their will over Bob at the moment. 

I don’t see Polar’s statement at odds with that reality at all, by the way. Polar stands against any hegemony ruling over Bob, which includes opposing anyone trying to form or reform one in the ashes of the former hegemony. To me, this makes complete sense given Polar’s history and what they stand for. More importantly though, it explains why this announcement is important to them, even from multiple perspectives. Only time will tell if this statement has what I believe to be the desired effects. 

16 hours ago, jerdge said:

The only resource that still matters something in this old, old place is irony, and we all know who possesses it and who doesn't.

Damn it, jerdge, you don’t have to be 100% absolutely right all the time. Kinda takes the fun out of the circle jerk.

#killjoyFTL

3 hours ago, mmansfield68 said:

Congratulations to all involved parties.  :)

I was going to ask why you always have to be mean with the uninvolved parties (read: me), but then I saw this:

25 minutes ago, mmansfield68 said:

Damn it, jerdge, you don’t have to be 100% absolutely right all the time. Kinda takes the fun out of the circle jerk.

#killjoyFTL

Thanks for your appreciation! That 100% is one of the few privileges that come with age... well, not really being right, and not even people thinking that I'm right, but at least... someone sometimes telling me that I'm right! 😆

11 minutes ago, jerdge said:

Thanks for your appreciation! That 100% is one of the few privileges that come with age... well, not really being right, and not even people thinking that I'm right, but at least... someone sometimes telling me that I'm right! 😆

As a fellow married man, I thought you might appreciate hearing it. 

Once. 😜

ChatGPT didn't like what was said in the OP.  ChatGPT wants peace for CyberNations.  ChatGPT also appears to not understand who has the little p and who has the big P.

It's clear from this source material that the New Polar Order (NPO) has a long-standing animosity towards the New Pacific Order (NPO), their parent alliance. Electron sponge, the Emperor of the NPO, is adamant that there can be no reconciliation between the two groups and that they will remain enemies.

The suggestion that the NPO should drive all the nations associated with the NPO into the dust instead of stating the obvious is a provocative one. While it's true that the NPO has been defined by its relationship with the NPO, it's important to recognize that the NPO has evolved into a distinct entity with its own values, objectives, and identity.

Furthermore, it's not productive to engage in a cycle of destruction and revenge. Rather than seeking to destroy their opponents, the NPO should focus on building positive relationships with other nations and alliances. This can include finding common ground with nations that may have previously been aligned with the NPO or forging new alliances with like-minded nations.

Ultimately, the NPO's success will be determined not by their ability to defeat their enemies but by their ability to build strong alliances and maintain positive relationships with other nations in the game.

8 hours ago, Jason8 said:

ChatGPT didn't like what was said in the OP.  ChatGPT wants peace for CyberNations.  ChatGPT also appears to not understand who has the little p and who has the big P.

It's clear from this source material that the New Polar Order (NPO) has a long-standing animosity towards the New Pacific Order (NPO), their parent alliance. Electron sponge, the Emperor of the NPO, is adamant that there can be no reconciliation between the two groups and that they will remain enemies.

The suggestion that the NPO should drive all the nations associated with the NPO into the dust instead of stating the obvious is a provocative one. While it's true that the NPO has been defined by its relationship with the NPO, it's important to recognize that the NPO has evolved into a distinct entity with its own values, objectives, and identity.

Furthermore, it's not productive to engage in a cycle of destruction and revenge. Rather than seeking to destroy their opponents, the NPO should focus on building positive relationships with other nations and alliances. This can include finding common ground with nations that may have previously been aligned with the NPO or forging new alliances with like-minded nations.

Ultimately, the NPO's success will be determined not by their ability to defeat their enemies but by their ability to build strong alliances and maintain positive relationships with other nations in the game.

This is precisely why AI will be our undoing.