Third Time's the Charm

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1322982716' post='2861944']
While you're right like always, you forgot to mention to him that he used the word "its" wrong. :P
[/quote]
Even I have limits to how much of a hypocrite Im willing to be.

[quote]
/rolls eyes

I could write and write on it. It was an answer to Fran and I gave the very simple base on such a thing. If you need to read more into that, you need a new hobby Chron[/quote]What in Admin's name are you talking about?

What thing? What is "it"? From what I can tell there are two potential "it"'s, neither of which are really clear. And what is "that" supposed to mean?

Why would I need to read more into it anyway? I can't even decipher what you're referring to in the first place, so it's not like I could if I actually felt like it.

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322981972' post='2861926']
Nooo....Actually, you're way off.

Hilariously off. And you have cliff notes a few comments above you.

So while you certainly have a working basis for why someone would go for what the immediate repercussions are, you're stumbling a bit on the basis of "Why NPO" and "why a move like this in the first place?", which are rather important to note when trying to analyze why someone would undertake such a maneuver.
[/quote]

The difference is that you don't actually justify why you believe Fark is doing this to bypass treaties, whereas Brehon creates a pretty solid logical narrative. You're just saying that he's off because you think it's hilarious.

[quote name='Leet Guy' timestamp='1322985408' post='2861989']
In trying to destroy Pacifica, Fark has given Pacifica an unbelievably huge political boost. Unbelievable. The amount of poor decisions your crew has made since the last war continues to astound me.
[/quote]
It's almost as if cloistering themselves into a political vacuum and then relying purely on themselves for awareness of the political situation has backfired against them somehow. Almost.

But that isn't possible, as all savvy politicos on Planet Bob ignore the cesspool that is public political discourse to great success.[quote name='Jrenster' timestamp='1322986627' post='2862007']
The difference is that you don't actually justify why you believe Fark is doing this to bypass treaties, whereas Brehon creates a pretty solid logical narrative. You're just saying that he's off because you think it's hilarious.
[/quote]

Not only that, but because I actually believe so. And I did acknowledge that the logical narrative is sound in it's own right, just that it has critical flaws in it's underlying assumptions which completely undermine his conclusion. Moreover, since Im simply pointing out an inaccuracy rather than obsessing over explaining how right I am, I just don't feel a need to explain myself other than referencing a hint which points pretty blatantly towards the conclusion (and likely correct one, at that) that I had reached.

And just as an aside, I don't think Fark did it to bypass treaties in the way you're probably thinking, but, once again, refer to what I quoted from SeasonsofLove.

Edited by TehChron

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322986793' post='2862011']
It's almost as if cloistering themselves into a political vacuum and then relying purely on themselves for awareness of the political situation has backfired against them somehow. Almost.

But that isn't possible, as all savvy politicos on Planet Bob ignore the cesspool that is public political discourse to great success.

Not only that, but because I actually believe so. And I did acknowledge that the logical narrative is sound in it's own right, just that it has critical flaws in it's underlying assumptions which completely undermine his conclusion. Moreover, since Im simply pointing out an inaccuracy rather than obsessing over explaining how right I am, I just don't feel a need to explain myself other than referencing a hint which points pretty blatantly towards the conclusion (and likely correct one, at that) that I had reached.

And just as an aside, I don't think Fark did it to bypass treaties in the way you're probably thinking, but, once again, refer to what I quoted from SeasonsofLove.
[/quote]

What else could you be thinking of? You believe that Fark did it thinking that people on our side wouldn't defend us because of conflicting treaties with the other side. Which sounds right, and is not necessarily mutually exclusive with Brehon's theory. And you do really need to justify yourself, otherwise you just come off like a condescending jackass. Unless, that was what you desired.

[quote]You sound really disappointed that FARK doesn't want to play with you.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about?

[quote name='Jrenster' timestamp='1322987677' post='2862030']
What else could you be thinking of? You believe that Fark did it thinking that people on our side wouldn't defend us because of conflicting treaties with the other side. Which sounds right, and is not necessarily mutually exclusive with Brehon's theory. And you do really need to justify yourself, otherwise you just come off like a condescending jackass. Unless, that was what you desired.

[/quote]
It wasn't about people not defending you. It was, in fact, not about Pacifica as an end, but simply targeting the NPO as the most logical means towards their end. That's what I meant by the major flaw in Brehon's assumption.

But I'm not too worried about coming across as a condescending jackass, considering the circumstances and people involved in this discussion (excepting you). It rather suits me just fine, to be quite honest, heh.

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322988301' post='2862035']
It wasn't about people not defending you. It was, in fact, not about Pacifica as an end, but simply targeting the NPO as the most logical means towards their end. That's what I meant by the major flaw in Brehon's assumption.

But I'm not too worried about coming across as a condescending jackass, considering the circumstances and people involved in this discussion (excepting you). It rather suits me just fine, to be quite honest, heh.
[/quote]

You're saying I'm not a condescending jackass? What the $%&@ man. I thought we were cool.

[quote name='Jrenster' timestamp='1322988358' post='2862036']
You're saying I'm not a condescending jackass? What the $%&@ man. I thought we were cool.
[/quote]
Oh no, you are, but this discussion only has one condescending jackass (excepting you), so thats why I had to explain it that way, for the sake of clarity.

Hope that clears things up.

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322988611' post='2862039']
Oh no, you are, but this discussion only has one condescending jackass (excepting you), so thats why I had to explain it that way, for the sake of clarity.

Hope that clears things up.
[/quote]

Oh okay. I'm cool with that.

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1322973362' post='2861474']
Really Fran? I mean I see the rationale (its flawed but I see it). Its pretty hard for most to tell where NPO is and who really likes us, because frankly that list is still small. So if you were going to go out on an alliance, why not go out on one that you already don't like and will generally gather the least sympathy so potential counters are reduced.

Additionally if you wanted to draw in some others based on ties, NPO has just enough ties to attempt to draw people out. Really its not a bad move... its just a few months late.

Do all of this and in some offshoot show some support to an alliance that you are tied to that is becoming more and more isolated... it works.

And then if we drop all the theory craft, follow suit of a war, pick an old issue and end boredom.
[/quote]

You are an incompetent fool. SoL implied Fark and FAN gained tactical advantage from attacking NPO and I asked how. Their dislike of NPO is irrelevant to my question. Stop trying to play the victim. NPO is not disliked anymore. In fact, it is cool to like NPO at the moment. You are currently in the process of sucking up to the dominant power structures and it is succeeding to the extent that your age-old enemies in C&G and MK may even go to war for you.

[quote name='Kalasin' timestamp='1322989734' post='2862052']
You are an incompetent fool. SoL implied Fark and FAN gained tactical advantage from attacking NPO and I asked how. Their dislike of NPO is irrelevant to my question. Stop trying to play the victim. NPO is not disliked anymore. In fact, it is cool to like NPO at the moment. You are currently in the process of sucking up to the dominant power structures and it is succeeding to the extent that your age-old enemies in C&G and MK may even go to war for you.
[/quote]

I've seen your "warchest". I wouldn't be calling ANYONE an incompetent fool.

-Tron(derp)ix

[quote name='TRON IX' timestamp='1322991528' post='2862067']
I've seen your "warchest". I wouldn't be calling ANYONE an incompetent fool.

-Tron(derp)ix
[/quote]

My ability to build a nation has nothing to do with CN politics or Brehon's failure to answer a question I directed to someone else.

[quote name='Roadie' timestamp='1322971525' post='2861458']
Had no idea Pacificans were bad at uno. Cancel our treaty at once.
[/quote]
Mary is an uno GOD, shes held the points lead at the end of the past couple of months.

You want to be humbled? stop by #games and play her in a few games of uno or some trivia

Edited by wickedj

[quote name='shahenshah' timestamp='1322993647' post='2862094']
Are you implying you're competent politically Fran?
[/quote]

I say precisely what I think on these forums. That doesn't win me many friends, a fact of which I am well aware. Decide for yourself how accurate you think my analysis is.

I've been pondering this move for 24 hours now, and I still can't figure out why FARK & friends chose this route.

[quote name='Kalasin' timestamp='1322991867' post='2862070']
My ability to build a nation has nothing to do with CN politics or Brehon's failure to answer a question I directed to someone else.
[/quote]

[i]You[/i] should consider having nothing to do with CN politics as well, given how poorly involvement in such has--as a result of your lack of competence--always turned out for you.

Edited by Crymson