Advice to Legion

Hymenbreach

For most of my political life on Planet Bob, since I took over my nation in a peaceful but surprisingly bloody coup, I was a member of Legion.

A little history lesson.

I was a nobody in the alliance for a good while. I was Communications Officer for about three years, some of which I managed to increase (for like a couple of seconds until The Curse Of Legion Leadership Struck) the public reputation of that Alliance. (Our reputation has always been low, since we let the NPO of old won the propaganda war through a foolish decision to ignore the wider world).

As you know, Lord Swampy had his moment of madness and Pezstar had her moment of Intestinal Unfortitude and Legion Disbanded for about 20 minutes. I was voted in as one of the emergency Leadership and I am the one and only person responsible for contacting the NPO and thus I am the cause of the Viceroyship and I am the one who should be called a NPO lapdog. I was, and am, happy to have that monkey nougat thrown at me rather than the Alliance as a whole. Though it is too late for that.

I was in government briefly after that, and was staggeringly bad for the most part. Mostly because I felt too strongly for the alliance that I thought I had saved and I struggled to separate myself from the organisation. Some of you will sympathise, some will not. I am also an ideas man rather than a worker. This is my excuse for idleness.

I tell you this so that you know I have some right to advise the Legion.

My advice is this: [b]Separate from the NPO at all costs[/b]. I was a fool. I thought we could be saved in a NPO run world, but that came to an end and then we should have cut our losses and did what the ODN did, only with a little more dignity and class.

Yes, we owed the NPO much for not simply destroying us and giving us the mechanism of competent, if not entirely independent, government. But that was then and the ties of gratitude need not be barbed wire handcuffs.

If you move away from the NPO ou will be alone and the wolves will surround you. Some will skulk, like they do now. Some will yelp for the amusement of other scavengers, like they do now and yes, some will bite you but they cannot kill you. Nothing can kill Legion, God knows enough have tried. What does not kill you makes you stronger, said a wise man once.

Furthermore, attack the NSO. Even it goes badly, you look like you give a damn. There is a myth that Legion has always been terrible at war and this was true only twice in history. The far past and the immediate present. Between that, we were competent at least.

The road to recovery will cost you dear, but you must take the first step yourself.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pollard' timestamp='1309907635' post='2749758']
tl;dr: Advice = Disband
[/quote]

What a thoughtful and erudite reply. Completely wrong, of course. Still I commend your ability to use a keyboard at all.

[quote name='Hymenbreach' timestamp='1309907780' post='2749759']
What a thoughtful and erudite reply. Completely wrong, of course. Still I commend your ability to use a keyboard at all.
[/quote]

My bad. Fixed for clarity.

[color="#FF0000"]Good Speech. Legion should listen to one of its eldest members. I advise them to listen to you and you should really say something to them. [/color]

[color="#FF0000"]I also noticed you left.. Was this due to leadership?[/color]

Edited by FearUnited

I knew it would turn into a NPO thing, one way or the other. Everything does, even unrelated to us wars.

N.B. Am not complaining, I love it. Carry on.

Edited by Branimir

[quote name='FearUnited' timestamp='1309908386' post='2749770']
[color="#FF0000"]Good Speech. Legion should listen to one of its eldest members. I advise them to listen to you and you should really say something to them. [/color]

[/quote]

He needed new hymens to breach, he had no Legionnaires left in the alliance and couldn't wait.

[quote name='Kalasin' timestamp='1309908054' post='2749764']
I agree with this. NPO has demonstrated many times that it cares little about its allies and Legion are no exception.
[/quote]
This is a falsity, I know that for a fact.

[quote name='Hymenbreach' timestamp='1309907522' post='2749756']
As you know, Lord Swampy had his moment of madness and Pezstar had her moment of Intestinal Unfortitude and Legion Disbanded for about 20 minutes. I was voted in as one of the emergency Leadership and I am the one and only person responsible for contacting the NPO and thus I am the cause of the Viceroyship and I am the one who should be called a NPO lapdog. I was, and am, happy to have that monkey nougat thrown at me rather than the Alliance as a whole. Though it is too late for that.
[/quote]
I don't buy this excuse for Legion. You may have initiated it but the alliance accepted it. They could have insisted on doing something else and/or voted with their feet, but they didn't.

Edited by Azaghul

[quote name='FearUnited' timestamp='1309908386' post='2749770']

[/quote]

Partly hubris, partly stupidity, partly an itch for new paths. Or a path to a new itch.

@Branimir. I actually like the NPO. I was there during the Viceroyship and I saw how NPO allowed us to decide on what form we took with the proviso that we didn't do the same old, same old - not a tricky codicil - and, although I am not blind to realpolitik, you stood us on our feet and broke the cycle of Demogoguecracy that led us from one disaster to another.

I don't think I am even attacking the NPO, I'm just calling for a separation.

Yes, I know you are one of the few alliances to associate with them, but while you do they always will be alone. People don't like the NPO and the ones who are too craven or politic to attack the NPO directly will kick at the whipping boy.

Edited for late night pronoun confusion.

Edited by Hymenbreach

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1309909854' post='2749801']
I don't buy this excuse for Legion. You may have initiated it but the alliance accepted it. They could have insisted on doing something else and/or voted with their feet, but they didn't.
[/quote]

This...

You initiated what happened, but the alliance as a whole bowed and did it.

[quote name='Chalaskan' timestamp='1309911116' post='2749819']
This...

You initiated what happened, but the alliance as a whole bowed and did it.
[/quote]

Survival or death? They leapt at the only log in the river. Before i hear cries of Death before Dishonour and all that, this is the Legion that was practically one of the closest groupings that has ever existed. We didn't come to the main boards because we were so self contained. It was our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. We were not just alliance mates we were (hoary old cliche i know), actually a group of friends.

I don't blame them at all.

I don't blame anyone for that. I think the Legion that existed before that war was a completely different after the war, but then again I didn't stick around to find out. I guess what I blame them for is doing sticking with NPO after, and continuosly making the same mistakes time and again.

The leadership wasn't really any better after NPO's viceroy as before it imho.

[quote name='Chalaskan' timestamp='1309911624' post='2749826']
I don't blame anyone for that. I think the Legion that existed before that war was a completely different after the war, but then again I didn't stick around to find out. I guess what I blame them for is doing sticking with NPO after, and continuosly making the same mistakes time and again.

[/quote]

We're coming dangerously close to agreement. The monkeys will be confused. ;) I also think they stuck with the NPO too long and while the gov now seems superficially like the one before the Renaissance, it has had it's moments of quality (I like Totem personally), such as the first Single Leader Whose Name Escapes My Aged Memory. Other alliances make mistakes, but only Legion's are written across the sky and taught to children in school. (Admittedly, they take up a lot of room on the syllabus).

Edited by Hymenbreach

[quote name='Chalaskan' timestamp='1309911624' post='2749826']
[/quote]

I don't know, call me naive but I think Zhadum genuinely liked and tried to better Legion. I suppose I never knew him that well but from my limited interaction with him once upon a time that was the impression I gained. I'd like to think he left Legion in a better state than he found it.

The Legion leadership and the officers work hard, they care about the alliance and the members. The members care about each other, there's a strong sense of community that as Hymenbreach says means Legion can never die.

The majority simply don't care about the OWF, not even a little bit. All of the threads here over the last few days mean little or nothing to them which is perhaps one of the greatest strengths Legion has.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Sabcat

[quote name='Sabcat' timestamp='1309912937' post='2749844']
The Legion leadership and the officers work hard, they care about the alliance and the members. The members care about each other, there's a strong sense of community that as Hymenbreach says means Legion can never die.

The majority simply don't care about the OWF, not even a little bit. All of the threads here over the last few days mean little or nothing to them which is perhaps one of the greatest strengths Legion has.

Edit: spelling
[/quote]

Ignorance is bliss...

Look, your membership should care about the OWF because it affects them and your community.