Killing other people’s characters

Generalissimo

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1286510665' post='2478566']
And you shouldn't ignore wars.. bad form.
[/quote]
Nobody likes losing. Some people don't want to put forth the effort when they know the obvious outcome.

Edited by KaiserMelech Mikhail

[quote name='KaiserMelech Mikhail' timestamp='1286512517' post='2478606']
Nobody likes losing. Some people don't want to put forth the effort when they know the obvious outcome.
[/quote]
Myself, if I got invaded without planning or permission, I'd RP no matter what the outcome looked to be. Just to be a thorn in whatever hyperpower is invading me XD

[quote name='dotCom' timestamp='1286513518' post='2478622']
Myself, if I got invaded without planning or permission, I'd RP no matter what the outcome looked to be. Just to be a thorn in whatever hyperpower is invading me XD
[/quote]

We need to clone him and fill CNRP with it.

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1286214942' post='2474314']
Does that mean if [i]everyone[/i] gets body doubles [i]everyone[/i] can dodge otherwise certain death?
[/quote]
maybe their should be a role where everyone gets 1 double and 1 double only.

So if only heads of state can't be killed without permission, how many heads of state is one allowed to have? Having multiple heads of state is not unheard of in the real world. Several contemporary nations have more than one head of state. My nation is currently a triumvirate, meaning I technically have three heads of state.

And what about heads of government? In many countries there is a distinction between the two and in some cases the head of government is politically more important than the head of state. Especially if the head of state is only a ceremonial position, why shouldn't their protection apply to heads of government as well?

Edited by Sal Paradise

I'm going to reply to you this time Sal, because you bring up a reasonable point:

It's more about who the main characters are than it is about the position they serve in any government body. One or Two primary characters regardless of their position in the government should be the rule as for some nations the heads of state or even the heads of government may not be as important as other people pulling the strings in the nation. And I believe that is the rule we should go by. People have one or two main characters they use for story writing and as a primary stage actor and those should be protected as the writers have taken the time and effort to develop them. The protections should be within reasonable boundaries. The reasonable boundaries is what this thread seeks to define.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Killing off someone's main character without asking is the same as applying results to an action you perform without giving someone a chance to provide their own reaction.

Of course it is perfectly acceptable to kill off any other person in a nation. But the head of state often has a detailed storyline attached to them with lots more time dedicated to coming up with that character than any other character and it would permanently damage that persons RP story or end it if that particular character is killed unless they are planing for it to happen.

But if you are set on killing off someone's main character you should discuss it in an OOC thread to ensure that they do not mind and that they have a storyline for what happens next.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

[quote name='Prime minister Johns' timestamp='1286521751' post='2478691']
Killing off someone's main character without asking is the same as applying results to an action you perform without giving someone a chance to provide their own reaction.

Of course it is perfectly acceptable to kill off any other person in a nation. But the head of state often has a detailed storyline attached to them with lots more time dedicated to coming up with that character than any other character and it would permanently damage that persons RP story or end it if that particular character is killed unless they are planing for it to happen.

But if you are set on killing off someone's main character you should discuss it in an OOC thread to ensure that they do not mind and that they have a storyline for what happens next.
[/quote]

Actually, I disagree to an extent. If you ignore a war that was brought to your attention by an ingame pm and go reroll you really shouldn't be given any sort of consideration. Your characters, nation, rp, and whatnot should be considered dogfood.

Tidy Bowl Man, our respective visions of CNRP often overlap, but I cannot endorse that action.
It’s terrible precedence, leading this community on a darker path, setting future strife and grief.

It’s not what you did, but how you did it that concerns me.
Even technically within our game rules, it doesn’t sit well.
It was blunt, brutal, callous, disrespectful, and disturbing.
I expected better from you, as a fellow CNRP role-player.

Respect, you have it give in order it to receive it.
As once compatriots this is a hard thing to do . . .
Tidy Bowl Man, [b]you lose six Generalissimo respect points[/b] - and in this game the points don’t matter.
I once believed in you, Tidy Bowl Man, I'm disappointed.

Edited by Generalissimo

I have an idea...how about before you go and kill someone, you ask the writer of the character you are going to kill. I think it would be very odd for anyone to constantly horde characters not to be killed. Even myself who probably displayed character-hording tendencies on a regular basis, I know when and where is a good time for a certain character to die. Also to agree with someone who said this before (I think it was Voodoo), this should advance the storyline. For instance, Therese Zelle's death in the duel with Martens ended the Franco-German War. I consider that in all purposes a well handled death.

On the other hand the death of Comrade's characters I still find done in a crappy scenario. All in all, I don't think we need more rules and Character RP has been nice because of the lack of rules and what you are permitted to do without community flak. For a lot of people...treat a developed character (one who has perhaps more than one thread of development)as a country. For I truly believe that for some character RPers, a certain character can be just as important, or more important than a country. Same way national RPers love their country.

Ask first, debate, then write, it should be how everything works here.

[quote name='Generalissimo' timestamp='1286548774' post='2478838']
Tidy Bowl Man, our respective visions of CNRP often overlap, but I cannot endorse that action.
It’s terrible precedence, leading this community on a darker path, setting future strife and grief.

It’s not what you did, but how you did it that concerns me.
Even technically within our game rules, it doesn’t sit well.
It was blunt, brutal, callous, disrespectful, and disturbing.
I expected better from you, as a fellow CNRP role-player.

Respect, you have it give in order it to receive it.
As once compatriots this is a hard thing to do . . .
Tidy Bowl Man, [b]you lose six Generalissimo respect points[/b] - and in this game the points don’t matter.
I once believed in you, Tidy Bowl Man, I'm disappointed.
[/quote]

You really are a drama queen aren't you? If you run around ignoring a war, ignore an ingame pm, and go reroll an entirely new nation your claims to anything are based on jello. Up until that point I hadn't even shot any of her specific characters. It wasn't until she started attempting to pull kangroos out of her butt that the problems started.

Had she simply asked I probably would have just said he was in a prisoner of war camp or something to that effect. You'll note, that is if you weren't busy waxing on poetically about CNRP points or some other equally absurd melodramatic tripe, I let her princess character off without any sort of argument as the character was outside of her nation.

A bit of effort on her part and acknowledgment of rp would have gone a long ways, except she didn't.

Hence why a GM intervened, said she had to at least explain how her character escaped.. She didn't.. her character then became dog food.

The burden of the entire affair was on her.

So please, take your little CNRP respect brownie points and gently, but lovingly, stuff them where the sun doesn't shine.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1286546820' post='2478829']
Actually, I disagree to an extent. If you ignore a war that was brought to your attention by an ingame pm and go reroll you really shouldn't be given any sort of consideration. Your characters, nation, rp, and whatnot should be considered dogfood.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you are insinuating our situation but if you are I didn't ignore the war. I just didn't know about it. Yes you sent me a PM in game, but I barley check my ingame nation. I come on here instead

Honestly, i wouldn't have a problem with it if the killing was done with common sense, and was actually rped well.... If you want to kill my characters, go ahead and try... just don't do it in a single paragraph or make terrorists gun them down while your soldiers are protecting them in an airplane. Give the deceased a respectable death that does the creator's hard work in fleshing him or her out justice.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1286609757' post='2479521']
Sorry gramps, that concept went out the window in the stone age.
[/quote]
Botha and ITDA are not obligated to do anything that is not done by mutual consent. The concept still exists but is only in use by those who practice it wisely.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1286581949' post='2479208']You really are a drama queen aren't you? If you run around ignoring a war, ignore an ingame pm, and go reroll an entirely new nation your claims to anything are based on jello. Up until that point I hadn't even shot any of her specific characters. It wasn't until she started attempting to pull kangroos out of her butt that the problems started.

Had she simply asked I probably would have just said he was in a prisoner of war camp or something to that effect. You'll note, that is if you weren't busy waxing on poetically about CNRP points or some other equally absurd melodramatic tripe, I let her princess character off without any sort of argument as the character was outside of her nation.

A bit of effort on her part and acknowledgment of rp would have gone a long ways, except she didn't.

Hence why a GM intervened, said she had to at least explain how her character escaped.. She didn't.. her character then became dog food.

The burden of the entire affair was on her.

So please, take your little CNRP respect brownie points and gently, but lovingly, stuff them where the sun doesn't shine.[/quote]If you had, Tidy Bowl Man, actually read through that poetical waxing - it’s not what you did but how you did it that bothers me. This could have been approached with more discretion; maybe a little less graphic, with less spite - would have gone a long way. Just because you’re doing something underhanded doesn’t mean you can’t be nice, at least polite about it.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1286581949' post='2479208'] Up until that point I hadn't even shot any of her specific characters. It wasn't until she started attempting to pull kangroos out of her butt that the problems started. . .

. . . The burden of the entire affair was on her. . .[/quote] That’s [i]almost[/i] crossing the IC/OCC line, while not outside of the rules, is still disrespectful in a role-playing game.
It’s that sort of attitude that causes significant yet unnecessary schisms in CNRP.
It’s not what you did, but how you did it, that bothers me.

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1286609757' post='2479521']Sorry gramps, that concept went out the window in the stone age.[/quote]There are still corners in this community that believe in mutual consent, that’s a debate for another day.

[quote name='maddy' timestamp='1286591328' post='2479311']I'm not sure if you are insinuating our situation but if you are I didn't ignore the war. I just didn't know about it. Yes you sent me a PM in game, but I barley check my ingame nation. I come on here instead[/quote]Some of us don’t always check our in-game nation regularly, it’s a placeholder that allows me to play CNRP, if you send me an in-game message it might not be read before the five day auto-delete. Next time use this forum’s messaging system, it’s guaranteed.

Edited by Generalissimo

[quote name='Sargun' timestamp='1286629076' post='2479619']
Botha and ITDA are not obligated to do anything that is not done by mutual consent. The concept still exists but is only in use by those who practice it wisely.
[/quote]
I just have to ask, why are those two specific RPers allowed to ignore something that is done without their consent, but no one else can?

They get it because botha and IDTA rp their ingame stats strictly, which isn't a guarantee that it'll never happen, because things change from GM to GM.

As for Generalismmo, nothing underhanded was done at all, she didn't reply.. she rerolled.. she snuck back and tried getting snotty.. she then started taking pot shots at me with her new nation.. that didn't exist until after the entire attack took place... She got her president whacked (maybe whacked.. I'm still debating forcing a confession out of him via torture that Blue Water was supporting ethnic cleansing in Organcia given their public outrage in a situation that transpired before the founding of their nation. Could well be that some of those dreadful Organcian ethnic cleansers escaped to Blue Water, must kill them all.) because she couldn't provide a sufficient explanation for how her president escaped.

The explanation required.. that was a GM decision levied by Subtle.. one I told him that I'd publicly respect even if I didn't agree with it.

Now you tell me how that is underhanded. It is pretty damn straight forward to me. Had she notified me via pm and asked me about it I probably would have just said we had the guy in a POW camp and I would have turned him loose.

Except she didn't.. She came up with some incredibly weak reasoning for her entirely new nation to get involved in an affair that was done and finished even before the existence of her new nation.. and then couldn't even provide an logical explanation for how her president escaped.

Again, the burden in this entire affair rests entirely on her.

And ps.. I'm almost positive She knew about the attack on her nation before she rerolled, I was checking the message I sent her ingame on a daily basis... I'm certain she read it before she rerolled.

Edited by Tidy Bowl Man

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1286662568' post='2479892']
I'm still debating forcing a confession out of him via torture that Blue Water was supporting ethnic cleansing in Organcia given their public outrage in a situation that transpired before the founding of their nation. Could well be that some of those dreadful Organcian ethnic cleansers escaped to Blue Water, must kill them all.)
[/quote]
Now see, that [b]would [/b]be rather underhanded. And a bad example of OOC-motivated IC actions.