Helping Sparta

The MVP

[quote name='Captain Flinders' timestamp='1283355546' post='2438245']
You'd think an alliance would be more worried about protecting the sovereignty of their AA. Ghost or not, that's your affiliation he's attacking without any prior arrangement with Spartan government. I know that in Nordreich's case, any and all nations flying our AA, ghost or otherwise, are our responsibility unless clearly stated otherwise. Aren't you guys kinda opening the door for others to cruise your AA looking for who they believe to be ghosts and hitting them "for you"? I could see this taking a turn for the worse real quickly.
[/quote]
Actually, many alliances ignore it when rogues hit their ghosts. I've always thought it was a bit of a silly policy myself, for exactly the same reason as you do here.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' timestamp='1283361642' post='2438311']
If alliances would publish lists of ghosts publicly and allow anybody to have at them it would solve problems for everybody - especially the arguments over raiding.
[/quote]

If alliances did that, it would get rid of using ghosts as meat shields in major conflicts and make targeting the actual alliance easier.

I am in favor of alliances taking care of their own business with respect to ghosts. If they want help, I am sure they would ask for it.

[quote name='jgolla' timestamp='1283366431' post='2438370']
If alliances did that, it would get rid of using ghosts as meat shields in major conflicts and make targeting the actual alliance easier.

I am in favor of alliances taking care of their own business with respect to ghosts. If they want help, I am sure they would ask for it.
[/quote]
Wouldn't a good alliance want to avoid having ghosts embarrassing them, killing their average NS, and making the alliance more difficult to command? If not, why get rid of ghosts at all? Your alliance prides itself on it, even.

There's a reason why people make fun of UPN for the "caspers" remark.

Edited by Sandwich Controversy

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' timestamp='1283366881' post='2438374']
Wouldn't a good alliance want to avoid having ghosts embarrassing them, killing their average NS, and making the alliance more difficult to command? If not, why get rid of ghosts at all? Your alliance prides itself on it, even.
[/quote]

I am not saying don't get rid of ghosts, I am all for destroying them. What I am saying is let the alliance in question take care of killing their own ghosts.

I know I would not take to kindly to someone trying to "help us" with our ghosts.

[quote name='jgolla' timestamp='1283367200' post='2438378']
I am not saying don't get rid of ghosts, I am all for destroying them. What I am saying is let the alliance in question take care of killing their own ghosts.

I know I would not take to kindly to someone trying to "help us" with our ghosts.
[/quote]
Yeah, ok. I wouldn't like some random guy attacking guys on our AA without permission, even if they were ghosts, either. If they want to make a list of ghosts public that's their prerogative. I just think it's a good idea that everyone should consider.

Edited by Sandwich Controversy

[quote name='Sabertooth' timestamp='1283305306' post='2437700']
I wonder if there are any other alliances with a major ghost problem? Mostly Harmless Alliance perhaps?

I know the New Pacific Order has the best ghostbusting team and system on the planet. Maybe Sparta should ask them for some advice on how to curb their ghost problem.
[/quote]
MHA claims to have somewhere around 150-200 ghosts. the arguement is they make wonderful meatshields during a war

yes, i facepalmed upon hearing that too

[quote name='Captain Flinders' timestamp='1283355546' post='2438245']
You'd think an alliance would be more worried about protecting the sovereignty of their AA. Ghost or not, that's your affiliation he's attacking without any prior arrangement with Spartan government. I know that in Nordreich's case, any and all nations flying our AA, ghost or otherwise, are our responsibility unless clearly stated otherwise. Aren't you guys kinda opening the door for others to cruise your AA looking for who they believe to be ghosts and hitting them "for you"? I could see this taking a turn for the worse real quickly.
[/quote]

I would presume the leniency being extended to The MVP in this instance is an attempt to avoid the situation turning into a public relations debacle by dismissing him as a charming character and entertaining the idea that this is a lark. Whether or not this works will be determined by the number of vigilantes who follow the example set here. Certainly, there's something to be said for an alliance declaring, in essence, that it is incapable of cleaning its own house correctly while desiring to do so.

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1283356363' post='2438256']
The objective here is to help Sparta, not hurt it. You're right I should have asked them first, but I signed up to their forums and am doing it now. It's often bad when an own alliance needs to take out its own ghosts, when you see an alliance attack itself for the sake of ghosts it doesn't look good. A hired mercenary probing the AA looks much better which is what I intend to do. I've signed up for Sparta's forums and look forward to busting ghosts while leaving the true members alone.

Any of you may hire me, I'm just working with Sparta seeing as how many ghosts they have. Alliances like MHA seem content with ghosts and don't want them busted. If any of you do, however, holler! o/
[/quote]

Right.

[quote name='jgolla' timestamp='1283366431' post='2438370']

[/quote]

The meat shields are in general under 500 NS with only a couple usually in the 1000's range. Not much meat there and not many people are able to attack nations in the 3-500 NS range, because of the 75/133% rule. Your nation has to be brand new to attack such a nation. Obviously you keep the ghosts for a different purpose other than meat shields. To boost your population perhaps? Your dreaming if you think they can be used as meat shields. :P

Ghosts are usually difficult to attack, because they are microscopic. They usually delete and go inactive anyways, so they're really not much of a problem.

The career ghosts are the problem and usually hang out in peace mode. They have a chance to get bigger and may hang out in an alliance for months or even years.

[quote name='wickedj' timestamp='1283383168' post='2438589']
MHA claims to have somewhere around 150-200 ghosts. the arguement is they make wonderful meatshields during a war

yes, i facepalmed upon hearing that too
[/quote]

Again a 100-500 NS nation isn't a meat shield. It's obvious that they keep the ghosts to boost their population numbers. If they do indeed have 150-200 ghosts it sure adds to their numbers and makes them look like the biggest and badest alliance in CN. OoOooOoOo

Edited by Sabertooth

[quote name='Sabertooth' timestamp='1283428568' post='2439066']
The meat shields are in general under 500 NS with only a couple usually in the 1000's range. Not much meat there and not many people are able to attack nations in the 3-500 NS range, because of the 75/133% rule. Your nation has to be brand new to attack such a nation. Obviously you keep the ghosts for a different purpose other than meat shields. To boost your population perhaps? Your dreaming if you think they can be used as meat shields. :P
[/quote]

For an alliance that takes care of their own ghosts, this is probably true. But if an alliance does not take care of its ghost problem, it is conceivable that they would have ghosts of greater size. Publishing this list of ghosts would be a determent to that alliance if they were in a war, because the attacking alliance would know exactly who to hit and who not to hit.

[quote]Hello there, Dark Fist would like to invite you into our fabulously cute and fluffy world full of unicorns and naked women.
If the prospect of being surrounded by unicorns and naked women pleases you, please read on.

Dark Fist is a serious yet free-spirited black team alliance built around perverted humor, and trash talking smelly brown team members(if it's brown, flush it down).
Obviously you are receiving this message because our super computer estimated that you are an extremely masculine person capable of advanced guerrilla warfare tactics and what so many call "uber manliness".

We can offer you safety and the chance to grow your nation quickly with tech trades, as well as instruction to help you in learning how to play the game. Recruits are asked to learn the game and complete our academy process.

Questions? Comments? Does this message annoy you to a stupor?
Feel free to respond to me and I will answer any questions you have.
Apply at www.darkfist.net/index.php

Regards,Flatzi [/quote]

Although I am ghost busting Sparta, I've a strong urge to outright rogue on Dark Fist.

I've also had many Sparta nations thanking me in-game for my actions. What's wrong with clearing out ghosts? I don't get it. Attacking your own AA, even if it is a ghost, is considered bad form. Get someone else to do it, it's not rocket science.

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1283431044' post='2439078']
Attacking your own AA, even if it is a ghost, is considered bad form.
[/quote]

How is it considered bad form? If I see that, I assume it is a ghost (or possibly something worse) and the alliance is taking care of their business.

[quote name='Daikos' timestamp='1283431475' post='2439080']
Here you go [s]AUT[/s] MVP. I think this is what you've been trying to get from this thread:

[img]http://300gp.ovh.net/~cattia/Photos/news/02_05_07/Attention.gif[/img]

Hope that helps fulfill your need.
[/quote]

I'd ask your awful alliance, which is quite reflective in the recruitment message you left me, leave me alone.

[quote name='Sabertooth' timestamp='1283428568' post='2439066']
[/quote]
MHA have 108 nations on their AA under 1K NS, 78 under 500 NS. It is clear that if they have 150-200 ghosts that some of them are quite a bit bigger than that.

[quote name='The MVP' timestamp='1283431044' post='2439078']
Attacking your own AA, even if it is a ghost, is considered bad form.
[/quote]
Since when? Ghost busting is common is nearly all large alliances and has been for as long as I can recall. Bad form would be arbitrarily declaring yourself ghost buster of another alliance's ghosts, choosing a target based off minimal (at best) information, and declaring war on an aligned nation hoping for the best.

[quote name='jgolla' timestamp='1283431864' post='2439081']
How is it considered bad form? If I see that, I assume it is a ghost (or possibly something worse) and the alliance is taking care of their business.
[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking. MVP, your intentions are noble at best, but taking scare of Sparta's ghost is not your concern nor duty.