New Forum, New Charter, New Government

[center][img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/cybernations/images/thumb/8/88/UPN.svg/200px-UPN.svg.png[/img]

[left]
Today heralds a new era for the United Purple Nations. We have drafted and unanimously passed a new Charter. This new charter places the decision-making powers of the alliance amongst a five-member Cabinet, with four democratically elected positions. Administrative positions will be filled through meritocratic appointments, rather than elections. We are moving towards a 'quality over quantity' paradigm as well. We have had a very successful member-exchange with our allies over at the Orange Defense Network, where we experienced their culture and observed their way of doing things.

With the technical help of Bros from the Mushroom Kingdom, we have new SMF forums and invite you all to join us at [url="http://cnupn.net/forums/index.php"]http://cnupn.net/forums/index.php[/url]

Due to his selfless volunteering, Bros has been awarded the Companion of the UPN medal:

[center][img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/Omar20008/CoUPNM.png[/img] [/center]

We cannot thank him enough for leading the long hours spent on constructing a new forum. The new charter and forums could only have been made possible due to the vanguard efforts of dedicated members such as Kevanovia, Warlord44, DonVox, darrenb209, WarlordNazrag, psyopper, Pangui, Lionheart and many others. Thank you to all our friends over at ODN, Polar, CDT, PhR, FEAR, Quantum, Invicta and others, who have offered so much support this year.

Our prayers go out to WARLORD44; he will be deploying to Afghanistan later in the year.

And here is our new Cabinet lineup and Charter:

Peggy_Sue - Prime Minister
Warlord Nazrag - Chancellor
DonVox - Tribune
Ahough - Tribune
LionHeart - Tribune

[quote][size="3"][b]Charter of the United Purple Nations[/b][/size]
[b]Preamble:[/b]

Founded by Altheus on January 23rd, 2007, the United Purple Nations exists to provide an approachable purple alliance to its members and friends; to provide her members with safety, prosperity, and freedom through a democratic and liberal community and government. In return, every member shall respect, and honor this charter, which is the highest law of the United Purple Nations.

[b]Article 1: Membership

1.1 Admission[/b]

Any nation wishing to join the United Purple Nations is required to wear the "United Purple Nations" as its Alliance Affiliation, and may not be participating in any international conflict, or be in another alliance. The Cabinet of the United Purple Nations may implement additional application requirements, processes, and standards of training before any nation is inducted as a member. Nations flying the "United Purple Nations" as the Alliance Affiliation, but have not been inducted as a member may still have their right to safety and liberty guaranteed provided they have obeyed the laws of the alliance.

[b]1.2 Civil Liberties[/b]

Each member of the United Purple Nations has the liberty to exercise freedom of speech, expression, association and belief within the bounds of non-aggression. Each member has the right to control their own nation as they see fit, provided it does not directly harm the United Purple Nations or abuse any nation. No law or policy may be made to infringe on these liberties.

[b]1.3 Expulsion and Punishment[/b]

Any member nation or nation flying the United Purple Nations as its Alliance Affiliation may be punished under the discretion of the Cabinet, for reasons including but not limited to: asshattery towards fellow nations, both foreign and domestic, espionage and spying, unwarranted attacks against any nation, theft of monetary or technological aid, and treason.

[b]Article 2: The Cabinet[/b]

The Cabinet is the supreme governing body of the United Purple Nations, comprising of one Prime Minister, one Chancellor, and three Tribunes. The Cabinet is the vanguard of the United Purple Nations' domestic and foreign policies, and is responsible for the safety, prosperity and freedom of the alliance. Through a majority vote, whereas each member of the Cabinet is apportioned one vote, the Cabinet may execute its responsibilities through the following methods:

-The establishment and dissolution of any executive, supervisory, or advisory office that is lesser to the Cabinet
-The appointment and removal of persons to execute offices, and the delegation of such a power to other officials
-The signing and severance of treaties with foreign alliances
-The declaration, execution and concluding of hostilities
-The creation and dissolution of policies
-The procedures and requirements of admission, punishment and expulsion of any nation

By unanimous vote, the Tribunes may delegate any of the above powers to the Prime Minister or Chancellor when deemed necessary.

Any member nation may call for a motion of no confidence, whereas a supermajority, in a vote with a minimum of 72 hours, is required to remove a Cabinet member.

[b]2.1: Prime Minister[/b]

The Prime Minister is the Head of State of the United Purple Nations and is the supreme representative of the Cabinet in the international and internal scene. The Prime Minister chairs the Cabinet, announces important decisions to the alliance, affords appropriate awards and merit to member nations, and faithfully supervises the elections of the Chancellor and the Tribunes. The Prime Minister may block the candidacy of any nation wishing to run for Chancellor or Tribune.

The Prime Minister is a life-long position, but may be removed upon the unanimous decision of the Tribunes and Chancellor. Upon resignation, removal or a prolonged absence as deemed by the Cabinet, a new Prime Minister shall be elected with a majority vote of member nations, in elections supervised by the rest of the Cabinet.

[b]2.2: Chancellor[/b]

The Chancellor is the Head of Government of the United Purple Nations. The Chancellor is responsible for executing policies as decided by the Cabinet, supervising and organizing appointments to offices, and the day-to-day operation of the alliance. In the forewarned or unexpected absence of the Prime Minister, the Chancellor shall represent the Cabinet.

The Chancellor is elected every two months by a simple majority vote of the United Purple Nations membership. Nominations shall take four days, whilst voting shall take three days. The Chancellor may be removed upon the unanimous decision of the Tribunes. Upon resignation removal, or prolonged absence as decided by the Cabinet, a bi-election will be held to decide who shall serve the rest of the Chancellor's term.

[b]2.3: The Tribunes[/b]

The three Tribunes are the direct representatives of the United Purple Nations' membership in the Cabinet. The Tribunes are the chief legislators and advisors of the Cabinet. The Tribunes ensure the interests of the membership are well represented, police all government members, and preserve transparency and justice. The Tribunes function as a judiciary panel to resolve issues of crime or procedure. The Tribunes are required to consult the membership on decisions that will be voted on in the Cabinet, except when secret and sensitive information is handled.

The Tribunes are elected every two months, one month after the election of a Chancellor. Nominations shall take four days, whilst voting shall take three days. The top three candidates with the most votes will be the Tribunes. Each member nation shall hence have two votes each. Upon resignation, removal or prolonged absence as decided by the Cabinet, a bi-election will be held to decide who shall serve the rest of the vacant seat's term.

[b]Article 3: Amendments[/b]

The amendment or dissolution of this charter requires a four-fifths majority in the Cabinet, and a subsequent majority approval by the membership.

[/quote]
[/left] [/center]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1281329674' post='2406481']
Almost makes me wish I'd accepted the merge offer.
[/quote]
You should have. Would have increased your awesomeness by about....OVER 9,000. But I don't belive Gondor was given the chance to merge, you guys just didn't fit the bill. You have to not fail to merge with UPN. Nice try though, go back and defend your home from some Orcs.

Congrats on your new forums, and Bros helped? Really? Bros is good people.

[quote name='rodrod' timestamp='1281330028' post='2406497']
You should have. Would have increased your awesomeness by about....OVER 9,000. But I don't belive Gondor was given the chance to merge, you guys just didn't fit the bill. You have to not fail to merge with UPN. Nice try though, go back and defend your home from some Orcs.

Congrats on your new forums, and Bros helped? Really? Bros is good people.
[/quote]
Your witty zinger has wounded me, good sir.

[quote name='abdur' timestamp='1281329775' post='2406489']
Congrats on your 'rebirth'

No anti asshat clause,
/me is sad

Best of Luck to UPN in her future endeavours :)
[/quote]

Here it is:
[quote]
Any member nation or nation flying the United Purple Nations as its Alliance Affiliation may be punished under the discretion of the Cabinet, for reasons including but not limited to: [b]asshattery towards fellow nations[/b], both foreign and domestic, espionage and spying, unwarranted attacks against any nation, theft of monetary or technological aid, and treason.
[/quote]

[quote name='DonVox' timestamp='1281330920' post='2406569']
Here it is:
[/quote]
I know, I know, but the previous one had a whole section on it iirc :P
[quote]3.4: Anti-asshat clause

Don’t be an asshat. Any member found to be acting like an asshat (see code of conduct, section 4.3) will be treated as such, at the discretion of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.[/quote]
Meh. Just a personal preference I suppose...

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1281330787' post='2406560']
So like all fake democracies, the only position that actually matters is largely unelected and can prevent anyone who would be interested in deposing them from being elected.

Congratulations I guess.
[/quote]

I thought the same thing and I asked them about it on IRC.

[quote][01:31] <+Bones_Malone|tLW> so what's stopping any prime minister from blocking anyone running for any position that might be critical of the PM?
[01:31] <&DonVox> the membership
[01:31] <&DonVox> and the power to have a vote of no cofidence
[01:31] <&DonVox> on the PM
[01:31] <+Bones_Malone|tLW> where does it say that?
[01:32] <&DonVox> Any member nation may call for a motion of no confidence, whereas a supermajority, in a vote with a minimum of 72 hours, is required to remove a Cabinet member.[/quote]

So they thought that through I guess.

I can't say that I like the new Charter, but I hear its better than previous attempts at a new charter. So I guess that's nice.

[quote name='rodrod' timestamp='1281330028' post='2406497']
You should have. Would have increased your awesomeness by about....OVER 9,000. But I don't belive Gondor was given the chance to merge
[/quote]

Well actually.......

Also, good to see this. I'm wishing the best for UPN.