CN-ART SoTW #10: Voting

Marneus Calgar

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This SOTW makes me incredibly sad because the people who really deserve the votes here are not getting them. :(

Aquilos, for his beautiful Mewtwo sig; it's dynamic sense of movement really draws one's eye to the centerpiece, Mew's clone. The only drawback is the text, as I would have preferred something like Helvetica or Times New Roman to be used.

Davian Thule, for his beautiful Ho-oh vector-based signature; the Ho-oh is beautiful in and of itself, and fits perfectly among the shapes and outlines. The filters applied to this sig are gorgeous. Again, my only problem with it lies in the text, although you acknowledged it when we last spoke. The "Davian Thule" part really seems out of place with it's miss-matched glow/stroke effects.

Banksy, for his fiery Ninetales signature; the kitsune fits in perfectly with her background inferno. The abstract, random lines really drive home the surrounding heat that Ninetales produces. Once again, my only complaint is the text, which Banksy seems to have fixed in later versions of his signature (which he might be wearing, or at least was at one point).

I'm disappointed to see that these three are not leading the race. No offense to those participating, but this is a graphics competition, not a popularity contest.

And for clarification, it is most certainly not the hardest decision of your life! Charmander if you've got the balls and the heart, Squirtle if you've got the brains and ravishingly good looks, and Bulbasaur if you're incapable of lifting your own arms. :D Fairly cut and dry, I would say. :P

well that seems to be a problem... yes i agree with the first sig... not the hardest decision... that's why i got all 3 and pikachu on Pokemon Yellow :D
i like Ho oH but then again, love the squirtle sig...

Maybe we should rename this contest "Popularity Contest of the Week", since it's obvious that the artistic skills don't get judged here. Every week Davian creates an original sig (not ripped off from daviant art or other sites), but he has 3 votes this time. I am truelly saddened by the lack of taste in this community. But I am pretty sure a couple of people already said this, so I don't expect much to change.

[quote name='Gairyuki' date='15 June 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1276573741' post='2337892']
Nice things[/quote]
Not to mention your lovely squirtle sig ;)

You got the splash just right, and the blue colouring is great.

Also mad props to Davian, his are always brilliant and original.

[quote name='SinOfNemesis' date='15 June 2010 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1276576171' post='2337918']
Maybe we should rename this contest "Popularity Contest of the Week", since it's obvious that the artistic skills don't get judged here. Every week Davian creates an original sig (not ripped off from daviant art or other sites), but he has 3 votes this time. I am truelly saddened by the lack of taste in this community. But I am pretty sure a couple of people already said this, so I don't expect much to change.
[/quote]

and why should those of us who aren't as good as Davian be made to lose every week because we can't make vector art like him or do what he does? I made a simple but funny signiture, and you have to remember its called signiture of the week not best artist of the week and sometimes the best sigs aren't the ones that are made by the best artists.

EDIT: No I don't think mine was the best this week, I thought nearly everyone's was better than mine

Edited by Dave93

[quote name='Dave93' date='15 June 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1276584035' post='2338021']
and why should those of us who aren't as good as Davian be made to lose every week because we can't make vector art like him or do what he does? I made a simple but funny signiture, and you have to remember its called signiture of the week not best artist of the week and sometimes the best sigs aren't the ones that are made by the best artists.

EDIT: No I don't think mine was the best this week, I thought nearly everyone's was better than mine
[/quote]

I think that what she was trying to say is that people vote in friends not in the best sig or funniest sig so it becomes a popularity contest,

[quote name='Dave93' date='15 June 2010 - 02:40 AM' timestamp='1276584035' post='2338021']

[/quote]

Dave93, you're actually kind of the anomaly here. I was referring to the fact that those 3 artists were not getting any votes at all, rather than the fact that yours is; This also applies to past SOTW's, where, regardless of the quality of signatures, certain people continue to vote almost exclusively for their friends. I did say that this is a graphics competition, but you're also correct; it's a competition for the best signature, and so I suppose entertainment is considered quite a bit more in these SOTW's than graphics are (sometimes).

[quote name='Gairyuki' date='14 June 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1276573741' post='2337892']
This SOTW makes me incredibly sad because the people who really deserve the votes here are not getting them. :(

Aquilos, for his beautiful Mewtwo sig; it's dynamic sense of movement really draws one's eye to the centerpiece, Mew's clone. The only drawback is the text, as I would have preferred something like Helvetica or Times New Roman to be used.

Davian Thule, for his beautiful Ho-oh vector-based signature; the Ho-oh is beautiful in and of itself, and fits perfectly among the shapes and outlines. The filters applied to this sig are gorgeous. Again, my only problem with it lies in the text, although you acknowledged it when we last spoke. The "Davian Thule" part really seems out of place with it's miss-matched glow/stroke effects.

Banksy, for his fiery Ninetales signature; the kitsune fits in perfectly with her background inferno. The abstract, random lines really drive home the surrounding heat that Ninetales produces. Once again, my only complaint is the text, which Banksy seems to have fixed in later versions of his signature (which he might be wearing, or at least was at one point).

I'm disappointed to see that these three are not leading the race. No offense to those participating, but this is a graphics competition, not a popularity contest.

And for clarification, it is most certainly not the hardest decision of your life! Charmander if you've got the balls and the heart, Squirtle if you've got the brains and ravishingly good looks, and Bulbasaur if you're incapable of lifting your own arms. :D Fairly cut and dry, I would say. :P
[/quote]
Preciate the kind words. Thought about TNR, but I couldn't get it to look just right.

I voted for the Ninetales. I've honestly never seen anything like it, and it looks great.

To those complaining about sig quality:

The contest isn't necessarily purely about artistic talent. The poll question is "Which signature is [b]best[/b]?" That doesn't necessarily imply that the signature has the most aesthetic merit; it means that the signature is the one that the voter enjoys the most.

Take my tasteless meme, for example. Was it the most challenging sig to make? No. Is it the most complicated? Nope. Is it the best-looking? Maybe not. But the people who voted for it [b]enjoyed[/b] it the most. And that seems to me to be what the competition is about.

[/philosophicaldebate]

I voted Vyper, for his mastery of colors and styles to come up with an amazing sig!

Runners up for me were the following:
Aquilos' was pretty sweet, but it had a disturbing feeling of pixelation or something... just didn't look clear to me.

D34th's was pretty epic, and a close second choice. I think it was a little too green for me. heh sry, that's just me.

Gairy's was epic, but I feel that more could have been done with the surrounding water. Maybe some slight beams of light since it's looking up at the surface, i dunno. But still, that was just an amazing sig!

Davian's was well put together, but the contrast didn't do it for me. The pokemon kinda blended with the background a little too much.

Banksy's was cool, but felt way too burned to get my vote. Yeah it's fire, but I had to put my face right to the screen to see the detail and make out what was going on in the pic. Otherwise it did look cool :v:

mmmm I wasn't talking about your sig per se, Dave, so don't take offense in that.

I just see a trend in all of the SoTW, when it seems that the sigs wins because friends vote for you. I know I had some people do that for my sig, but I ask every friend to vote for the best sig that they think is the best, rather than vote for me, because I am a friend. So hence why my comment about the popularity contest.

And for artistic skills, well maybe I should start putting hot chicks in my sig to get votes, too. ;) + There are some sigs that get a lot of votes for taking 2 or 3 pictures from sites like deviant art and just blending them in together. That's just not fair to someone who actually tries to make a sig, but doesn't have the artistic talent or the time or w/e (looking at Dave's sig - it's one of the more plain sigs, but it has a message).

But that's just my thoughts on the SoTWs.

Edited by SinOfNemesis

Mmkai, everyone gets it, the upper tier artists of CN aren't happy because we're creating some good work and being trumpted by work that a 6 year old would do with their colouring sets.

It doesn't really matter IMO. Sure, when it first happened I got annoyed, but I still enter and I enter in multiple SOTW's including IRON's one and several other OOC Graphics Forums to feed my Graphics Lust. So basically guys, don't worry. Your time will done, I know most of the good artists have one at least once already so you can't really be that hurt.

Anyway, no more complaining!