GOONS Announcement

[quote name='Wadsworth' date='25 May 2010 - 12:57 AM' timestamp='1274741857' post='2310595']
Like the new flag, it's nice to have a GOONS flag to use in-game again. Looks like I found a new flag until Umbrella gets one in the game somehow.
[/quote]

Oh, it'll happen....we'll find a way. :smug:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='24 May 2010 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1274738091' post='2310521']
[color="#0000FF"]You're an alliance. If you don't like criticism might I suggest not doing anything at all? Try taking the path of WTF. They don't do a thing. Guess what? No one hates them. But you're not like that, and I can respect that small bit about things. You're too good to be boring. You actually do things, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

Anyway, I have congratulated you on your obtaining of a flag. I am quite sure that we can continue the rest of this conversation some other day.[/color]
[/quote]

FYI, I hate WTF because they don't do anything. [spoiler]Who's WTF?[/spoiler]

[quote name='dalstrs' date='24 May 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1274743410' post='2310619']
FYI, I hate WTF because they don't do anything. [spoiler]Who's WTF?[/spoiler]
[/quote]

World Task Force. They're number 5.

Also congrats.

[quote name='Jrenster' date='25 May 2010 - 01:27 AM' timestamp='1274743654' post='2310622']
World Task Force. They're number 5.

Also congrats.
[/quote]

I think he was being feces. Er, facetious. One of those.

I had no idea ktarthan was so eloquent. Great announcement and the flag turned out awesome; I know how much you worked on it. I'm looking forward to doing the grenade and stripes justice

[quote name='Il Impero Romano' date='23 May 2010 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1274646883' post='2309409']
I don't see what this thread has to do with your abandonment of UJA, although I can understand how unity of any sort would not be in agreement with your purported goals.

Best wishes in the future.
[/quote]

[quote name='Sardonic' date='24 May 2010 - 04:22 PM' timestamp='1274732559' post='2310440']
There was no "failure to understand" anything. Throughout the long negotiations to secure our return we were completely up-front about everything that we had to do with the old GOONS. Additionally you make it out like I was a major player in the old GOONS, I wasn't. I wasn't even a squad leader. I may have been in the culture, but I was essentially a foot-soldier, hardly a member of some grand graduating class.

The primary reason we were able to secure our return is the primary reason we have been so successful in the past year. We know diplomacy. We've had plenty of experience with it in other places, we know better than to slag off on somebody who does not bear us ill will, and we are always up front and willing to discuss our issues. It was no mistake that we were able to secure a protectorate from NpO. On its face it looked impossible, the two alliances which could not be more different signing a treaty of protection. But NpO listened, they gave us a second chance. We explained to them fully our intentions, who we were, and where we were going and it was eventually signed and ratified. Diplomacy, not brute force, is our ability.

Well I'm sorry we're not living up to your expectations.
[/quote]
You completely misread my post, which is pretty much what I expected and why I went out of my way to say I wasn't saying anything in order to point fingers (which you also misinterpreted to my chagrin). Chief made his end of what he saw, I made my end of what I saw. Any deeper feelings brought on by that rather detached analysis is the result of the insecurities carried by one's inner [img]http://sae.tweek.us/static/images/emoticons/emot-smith.gif[/img] I'm glad you're getting your second chance, I would have preferred the second chance had come for the 900 people that ended up in PZI, or scattered to the wind, or deleted. I don't see how you draw out of that that I think you're not "living up to [my] expectations" (which is a rather impossible conclusion seeing as I voiced no expectations or disappointment in Negligence and Sadism).

[quote name='Lamuella' date='24 May 2010 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1274736725' post='2310500']
it's a gift. Any discussion that mentions us will turn within hours into the same old year old argument, as if by magic.
[/quote]
When two paragraphs of the OP are dedicated to the subject, you can't really expect anything else. You might [i]hope[/i], you know we must always hope, of course or in British GOONS's case hang on in quiet desperation, but that's just what it'll be in a GOONS thread. It was the same in Vox and for \m/, MK and Vanguard.

Edited by Schattenmann

Congrats on getting your flag in-game. It's pretty nice looking.

[quote name='MCRABT' date='24 May 2010 - 04:52 AM' timestamp='1274701928' post='2310109']
You are compared to the old version because you chose to use the same acronym.
[/quote]

The acronym of an alliance means nothing.

[quote name='Schattenmann' date='24 May 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1274755199' post='2310854']
You completely misread my post, which is pretty much what I expected and why I went out of my way to say I wasn't saying anything in order to point fingers (which you also misinterpreted to my chagrin). Chief made his end of what he saw, I made my end of what I saw. Any deeper feelings brought on by that rather detached analysis is the result of the insecurities carried by one's inner [img]http://sae.tweek.us/static/images/emoticons/emot-smith.gif[/img] I'm glad you're getting your second chance, I would have preferred the second chance had come for the 900 people that ended up in PZI, or scattered to the wind, or deleted.
[/quote]
I wasn't misinterpreting you, I was merely correcting something in your post, I did not mean it as an insult to your character, it simply was not supported by the facts. Indeed the destruction of the 900 as you call it (I could have sworn GOONS was around 1,400 at its peak) was a tragedy. That they refused to negotiate with the two only compounded the tragedy. It was dumbfounding, being abandoned by the government we admired, looked up to. Where I once saw order, I saw a lack of control, an update rush that was supposed to happen didn't, and a wholesale abandonment of the members. That is the greatest tragedy of all. That event taught me many lessons about how an alliance can go so wrong.

Regardless it's one thing to live in the past, and another to learn from it. You should move on too.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' date='24 May 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1274757535' post='2310914']
The acronym of an alliance means nothing.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]I hate to disagree with you Damsky, but some acronyms have quite a bit of meaning. Based on history an otherwise meaningless arrangement of letters can take on a large amount of symbolism. Whether or not it is a symbol for good or bad is up to the viewer to decide, but it is foolish to deny that there is a great deal of significance to the arrangement "GOONS."[/color]

[quote name='AAAAAAAAAAGGGG' date='25 May 2010 - 05:34 AM' timestamp='1274758444' post='2310929']
You know what to do when you inevitably get sanctioned :smug:
[/quote]

Yep. :smug:

Won't [i]that[/i] be a glorious day? :awesome:

[quote name='Yevgeni Luchenkov' date='25 May 2010 - 05:04 AM' timestamp='1274778234' post='2311139']
A bit expensive and overpriced but I still like the flag I got in the mail after my last donations.

Thanks, GOONS.
[/quote]Think of it not so much as paying for the flag, and more like those cheap little keychains and notepads and other knickknacks you get from various charity organizations as a "Thank you for supporting us!" kind of deal. xD

[quote name='AAAAAAAAAAGGGG' date='24 May 2010 - 11:34 PM' timestamp='1274758444' post='2310929']
You know what to do when you inevitably get sanctioned :smug:
[/quote]
It doesn't work that way :negativeman:

That's why MK didn't get to put the Vanguard crest in.

[quote name='Acca Dacca' date='24 May 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1274674375' post='2309903']
That flag is so damn ugly.
[/quote]
?
As flags go it's not so bad. Slapping a black grenade on your flag certainly says alot about the alliance. That's either a compliment or an insult, dunno :D

[quote name='Hidraca' date='24 May 2010 - 01:26 AM' timestamp='1274678791' post='2309968']
Hehe

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/20owvp.png[/IMG]
[/quote]

Ooooooooooooo! That's nasty. I like the red pentagon. What's with the little yellow square though?

[quote name='Lamuella' date='25 May 2010 - 06:51 AM' timestamp='1274791847' post='2311212']
the yellow square represents the tiny fragment of fear embedded in each of our souls that we must overcome to become true members of the Goon Lantern Corps.

actually, I have no idea why there is a yellow square there.
[/quote]

It's not a yellow square. It's a ring. A gold ring.

[quote name='magicmountain' date='25 May 2010 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1274794267' post='2311243']
It's not a yellow square. It's a ring. A gold ring.
[/quote]It's a gross reference.

Edit: Apparently there's a word filter thing for the word I was trying to use here (got changed to "gross"). So I'll just say it's a reference to one of the original shocksites.

Edited by Archanis

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' date='24 May 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1274765740' post='2311045']
[color="#0000FF"]I hate to disagree with you Damsky, but some acronyms have quite a bit of meaning. Based on history an otherwise meaningless arrangement of letters can take on a large amount of symbolism. Whether or not it is a symbol for good or bad is up to the viewer to decide, but it is foolish to deny that there is a great deal of significance to the arrangement "GOONS."[/color]
[/quote]

Oh there is [b]some[/b] significance. However, personally, I prefer to judge alliances on their actions, not their names.

Whether or not they're called GOONS or something else doesn't change who they are.

[quote name='Lamuella' date='25 May 2010 - 06:51 AM' timestamp='1274791847' post='2311212']
the yellow square represents the tiny fragment of fear embedded in each of our souls that we must overcome to become true members of the Goon Lantern Corps.

actually, I have no idea why there is a yellow square there.
[/quote]
:facepalm:

I think we need to issue you some remedial training.