A Question From The Geek Squad

bros

224 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Style #386' date='15 March 2010 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1268637973' post='2226168']
This "one must has a bank account" tangent is certainly bizarre.
[/quote]

Yeah. I'm sorry for making the comment that lead to it.

Since I forgot to mention it before, I would probably consider this if I was looking at starting an alliance.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I missed it but reading through this thread and the debit card debate seemed as though it would be fruitless, so I have a few questions:

What's wrong with using a service such as invisionfree? Is there something inherently bad about using such a service that I'm not aware of?

What would this do that a service such as invisionfree doesn't? Would it operate more or less the same? Obviously the actual forum software would be better, but otherwise?

What would make this option safer than a service such as invisionfree? What guarantees are there for the safety and reliability of the proposed forums?

Edited by Titus Pullo

I'm with Alterego. This is clearly a joint Pacifican/Mushroom Kingdom venture in order to facilitate further forum hackings at the hands of Athens. I refuse to be a part of this [img]http://thecastlehall.com/boards/Smileys/kickass/colbert.gif[/img]

Sounds like a good turn the Geek Squad would be doing the world at large. The only entry barrier i can see with this is trust issues. Of course bros has time and again demonstrated his willingness to help folks and his trustworthiness in things to do with forums.

Wish you luck with this potentially useful service.

[quote name='Style #386' date='15 March 2010 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1268637973' post='2226168']
This "one must has a bank account" tangent is certainly bizarre.[/quote]
^ Agreed. Really odd...

Anyways... while this may be a viable option for micro alliances, and you may have the best intentions, I can't say I would personally go for it. Also, as mentioned by a few others, are you guys not concerned about the responsibility / liability that would come with offering this service? There is no shortage of drama llamas and conniving players out there who would possibly take advantage of your attempts at generosity.

If you do decide to go forward with this - best of luck. :)

[quote name='Denial' date='15 March 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1268647322' post='2226210']
I'm with Alterego. This is clearly a joint Pacifican/Mushroom Kingdom venture in order to facilitate further forum hackings at the hands of Athens. I refuse to be a part of this [img]http://thecastlehall.com/boards/Smileys/kickass/colbert.gif[/img]
[/quote]
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/1zve74i.gif[/img]

Why cant i just post pics... seriously

Edited by MagicalTrevor

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' date='13 March 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1268506805' post='2224502']
Aye, but I'm fairly sure there are still medium sized alliances, or ones that have been here forever but aren't very active, that are still using invisionfree.
[/quote]

[quote name='bros2' date='13 March 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1268506886' post='2224505']
Like LOST >_>
[/quote]

:( We were moving to a new board before this damn war, but we postponed until after the war finishes.

I hate you bros <_<

idk, I'd be afraid of another unaffiliated person holding my alliance's forums. Alterego raised a valid issue. Not implying you would do anything bad, bros or Bilrow. But you always have to think about the worst case scenario.

Edited by Gunnar Griffin

[quote name='Bilrow' date='14 March 2010 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1268609923' post='2225744']
As for the rest, that has nothing to do with this thread and isn't going to get a response here.
[/quote]

[b]I'm not the one asking people to trust me with their personal information. You are.

If addressing your previous use of a forum is outside the scope of this thread, then I would strongly advise everyone to avoid using any kind of 'service' that has your name attached to it.[/b]

[quote name='+Zeke+' date='15 March 2010 - 02:23 AM' timestamp='1268634529' post='2226131']
Well, you have my condolences on your disabilities. I do understand because I'm a disabled veteran myself.

But the internet doesn't come in 2 way video form on forums. Exactly how would I know you had issues with normal life functions?

And they are normal life functions, not "master of the universe" powers. I happen to know quite a few people with disabilities, ranging from minor to amazingly severe. They all try to work hard on being as independently functional as they can, which certainly includes fiscal responsibility. Furthermore, just about all of them expect me to treat them as close to being a "normal person" as I can......as I did with you. They would first respect that I had no way of knowing your condition, second be pleased that I was treating them like they were anyone else, and last they darn sure would not lash out bitterly at someone giving them honest constructive criticism.
[/quote]

I'm assuming that since you weren't born with disabilities, you don't know how..... grating it gets when someone says "I'm sorry."? Like it is anyones fault that i'm disabled. Two way video forums would be rather creepy.

I cannot be functionally independent at this time due to not being able to work any jobs (and the jobs that social security says I can work I can't, because they either only happen once a year, or social security overestimates my abilities.

[quote name='Titus Pullo' date='15 March 2010 - 03:47 AM' timestamp='1268639568' post='2226183']
Sorry if I missed it but reading through this thread and the debit card debate seemed as though it would be fruitless, so I have a few questions:

What's wrong with using a service such as invisionfree? Is there something inherently bad about using such a service that I'm not aware of?

What would this do that a service such as invisionfree doesn't? Would it operate more or less the same? Obviously the actual forum software would be better, but otherwise?

What would make this option safer than a service such as invisionfree? What guarantees are there for the safety and reliability of the proposed forums?
[/quote]

Invisionfree doesn't have the best... range of mobility. With ours, you could leave anytime you felt like it.

[quote name='Astarle' date='15 March 2010 - 08:06 AM' timestamp='1268655117' post='2226237']
^ Agreed. Really odd...

Anyways... while this may be a viable option for micro alliances, and you may have the best intentions, I can't say I would personally go for it. Also, as mentioned by a few others, are you guys not concerned about the responsibility / liability that would come with offering this service? There is no shortage of drama llamas and conniving players out there who would possibly take advantage of your attempts at generosity.

If you do decide to go forward with this - best of luck. :)
[/quote]

It would be rather interesting to see how people would attempt to exploit it.

[quote name='Devilyn Caster' date='15 March 2010 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1268667679' post='2226315']
:( We were moving to a new board before this damn war, but we postponed until after the war finishes.

I hate you bros <_<
[/quote]

<3 LOST

[quote name='Mustakrakish II' date='15 March 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1268673230' post='2226366']
That's a lot to transfer, plus we just made a payment.
[/quote]

Well duh, I wouldn't expect any large alliances to use this, silly MHA.

[quote name='bros2' date='15 March 2010 - 12:18 PM' timestamp='1268673821' post='2226374']
Well duh, I wouldn't expect any large alliances to use this, silly MHA.
[/quote]
I believe he is in Asgaard [smallish, vaguely maroon alliance].

[quote name='Style #386' date='15 March 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1268682704' post='2226454']
I believe he is in Asgaard [smallish, vaguely maroon alliance].
[/quote]

oops I read his TE alliance name.

there are still alliances on maroon? :blink:

[quote name='Ashoka the Great' date='15 March 2010 - 12:06 PM' timestamp='1268673126' post='2226365']
If addressing your previous use of a forum is outside the scope of this thread, then I would strongly advise everyone to avoid using any kind of 'service' that has your name attached to it.[/b]
[/quote]

But that is what he's trying to tell you, it wasn't his use, it was mine.

[quote name='bros2' date='15 March 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1268673652' post='2226372']
I'm assuming that since you weren't born with disabilities, you don't know how..... grating it gets when someone says "I'm sorry."? Like it is anyones fault that i'm disabled. Two way video forums would be rather creepy.

I cannot be functionally independent at this time due to not being able to work any jobs (and the jobs that social security says I can work I can't, because they either only happen once a year, or social security overestimates my abilities.
[/quote]

You should do hosting and forum services for a living.

You know your stuff far better than most CS and Computer Engineering majors I know that go to college for 4 years.

Also, this:

[quote]The OWF never fails to restore my lack of faith in humanity.[/quote]

[quote name='Style #386' date='15 March 2010 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1268637973' post='2226168']This "one must has a bank account" tangent is certainly bizarre.[/quote]

Sorry about jumping on the tangent. These things just kind of evolve that way.

[quote name='Coursca' date='16 March 2010 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1268714159' post='2227003']
You should do hosting and forum services for a living.

You know your stuff far better than most CS and Computer Engineering majors I know that go to college for 4 years.
[/quote]

hahaha I was a comp sci major for a semester before switching to Education. Too much math in comp sci and I wanted everything to be even and nicely spaced in programming >_>

[quote name='+Zeke+' date='16 March 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1268714363' post='2227006']
Sorry about jumping on the tangent. These things just kind of evolve that way.
[/quote]

Tangents are fun!

[quote name='koona' date='15 March 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1268707723' post='2226867']But that is what he's trying to tell you, it wasn't his use, it was mine.[/quote]

I accept that. Despite the hair-splitting you and Bilrow seem to think will work as a diversionary tactic, you're missing the point. So let me put it out there again.

It's a matter of optics and trust. Neither of you seems to understand that it [u]looks[/u] extremely strange for a group of people from one alliance (the New Pacific Order) to hijack the domain name of another alliance (the Legion) for use as a discussion area and testing center for a program that skates dangerously close to the edge of CN-legality.

It makes no sense, unless the intent is to create a bit of plausible deniability if caught.

Generally speaking, trusting an outsider with your personal information is a terrible idea. Trusting an outsider who has previously made suspicious use of a forum -- whether as the domain owner or as a 'mere' accomplice -- is just stupid.