Unimportant Announcement

[quote name='Hyperion321' date='21 February 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1266812970' post='2196188']
Feel better? Does that ring a bell now? [i]You were there[/i] after all.

I've said it to others and I'll say it here now - [b]You do not screw with me about my mother. ever.[/b]
[/quote]
So comments about your mother, or OOC comments in general, are cause for IC reparations? Just making sure I understand you correctly.

Edited by bigwoody

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kortal' date='22 February 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1266815558' post='2196345']
Valid question. I think they have to be really, most of us are used to much worse certainly, but that doesn't make it ok to say the things they did with a malicious intent. It doesn't mean its the end of the world, but alliances need to keep their members in check, had this happened without a war ongoing Legion gov would have apologized on these boards and it probably would have been forgiven. As reps were being considered during the time, it factored into that instead.
[/quote]

Of course it doesn't make it alright, but again crossing the border one way does not, in my mind, justify crossing it back in the other direction. Being the bigger man has its intrinsic benefits. As we're seeing here, taking a swing at someone over a childish comment, while the anger is understandable entirely, doesn't always end well for the one doing the swinging, in my experience.

[quote name='Voidbringer' date='22 February 2010 - 06:11 AM' timestamp='1266815476' post='2196341']
At the maximum, these reps are 120 billion.
At the minimum, these reps are around 32 billion, assuming they use weak nations to buy blocks of 50 tech for around 800k.

oh my
[/quote]
800k * 40k = 32 bil

That's pretty crappy math though.

edit: Missed your fix. Still curious how you reached the maximum ammount there.

Edited by neneko

[quote name='Trinite' date='21 February 2010 - 11:14 PM' timestamp='1266815664' post='2196350']
Can you show your work on that one?
[/quote]

640mil @ 800K

40K/50 = # agreements

#agreements*800,000 = 640mil. I know a many bigger wc's

HOW WILL THEY EVER PAY IT!

Liquid mercury had more then 50% of that.

Edited by Pearl

[quote name='janax' date='22 February 2010 - 06:18 AM' timestamp='1266815894' post='2196363']
Reminder kids:

Talking about someone's mother = MOAR TECH
Racist remarks directed at people = "it happens all the time"
[/quote]
I thought it was
Racist remarks directed at people = War
The math in this thread is getting worse and worse.

[quote name='janax' date='22 February 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1266815894' post='2196363']
Reminder kids:

[/quote]

Ahhhh...haha...this is the winner right here. :smug:

Thank you for this, Janax.

[quote name='Voidbringer' date='22 February 2010 - 12:11 AM' timestamp='1266815476' post='2196341']
At the maximum, these reps are 120 billion.
At the minimum, these reps are around 32 billion, assuming they use weak nations to buy blocks of 50 tech for around 800k.

oh my
[/quote]
The [i]value[/i] is 1.2 billion at 3/100 market rate. If it actually costs them 1.2 billion in losses to send it out though, that'll be a somewhat disappointing level of incompetence.

Assuming competent tech sellers sending it out (~1.6m per 100 starting from 0), the minimum [i]cost[/i] for Legion to pay them is 640 million.

If they aid their sellers who then send the tech out on the next cycle, the difference would end up in the sellers' pockets.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Edit: Grammar and clarity.

Edited by Aurion

To clarify for everyone:

The reason Sparta took the 20k tech as reparations was due to Legion attacking us in an aggressive war. Some say that supporting treaties via defensive clause negates this, but the fact remains that Legion hit Sparta in support of an aggressive attempt to take out C&G by TOP/IRON. For that, Sparta asked for reparations.

As I understand from Legion, their reasons for paying (remorse over OOC attacks) are different than our reasons for asking, but the transfer of tech will take place none the less.

[quote name='Kortal' date='22 February 2010 - 05:16 AM' timestamp='1266815810' post='2196356']
You're right, they have been a little opportunistic in the past...and here they are almost a year later negotiating reps from an alliance!!

How the hell did no one make this connection yet?!?!
[/quote]

Because they have been in so many wars in the meanwhile, right? :P

You apparently have your opinion and your coalition solidarity and all that. Mine is that the ammount of reparations asked is opportunistic, when compared the class behaviour of alliances like yours.

[quote name='Coursca' date='22 February 2010 - 12:17 AM' timestamp='1266815866' post='2196361']
Of course it doesn't make it alright, but again crossing the border one way does not, in my mind, justify crossing it back in the other direction. Being the bigger man has its intrinsic benefits. As we're seeing here, taking a swing at someone over a childish comment, while the anger is understandable entirely, doesn't always end well for the one doing the swinging, in my experience.
[/quote]
Adjusting reps accordingly over malicious comments (if ones clearly based solely on frustration and raw nerves). It wouldn't justify Sparta taking them to ezi, factoring the matter into calculations for reps though, well I see no issue there.

And to you and the rest of the people saying this is hurting Sparta pr-wise, the only angry parties are on the other side or are STA (who jump sides every few days themselves). I kind of doubt Sparta is all that anxious about being looked on in a positive light by those groups

The rest of us support Sparta 100% and will do so no matter how much reps they want from people attacking them.

[quote name='Lusitan' date='22 February 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1266816206' post='2196381']
Because they have been in so many wars in the meanwhile, right? :P

You apparently have your opinion and your coalition solidarity and all that. Mine is that the ammount of reparations asked is opportunistic, when compared the class behaviour of alliances like yours.
[/quote]
I think you mistook my implication, but I appreciate the last comment regardless. Even if I feel Sparta have been just as classy, coalition solidarity aside.

Edited by Kortal

[quote name='janax' date='22 February 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1266815894' post='2196363']
Reminder kids:

[/quote]

I certainly hope you're not inferring we somehow supported those remarks.

[quote name='Pearl' date='22 February 2010 - 05:19 AM' timestamp='1266815945' post='2196368']
640mil @ 800K

40K/50 = # agreements

#agreements*800,000 = 640mil. I know a many bigger wc's

HOW WILL THEY EVER PAY IT!

Liquid mercury had more then 50% of that.
[/quote]

Hey wow, I think I took more damage that that... poor Legion! How dare we burden you with such payments :smug:

But seriously good fight to all involved.

Edited by commander thrawn

This little bit of re-invention of "aggressive" war that we've seen in the last week or so is fascinating. I mean, clearly, it's just the latest in a long tradition of ad hoc justifications for war profiteering, but the blatantness of it is spectacular.

:( Where are the haters against my alliance...

To be honest, the reps aren't bad. I've seen worse and even though many say that it's wrong, in the case of Sparta and Legion, I think it was called for. They refused white peace the first time, so I don't think it should have been offered again. I'd expect the same from any alliance in the war. But that's just my personal opinion though.

Also, this is the first time my alliance has asked for reps in a war. I'm not sure if I would consider it 'reps' though, considering the deal we have with Legion, but still.. It's new for us. Good luck to Legion, and it's been fun. Perhaps once everything is over and done with, we could work out a more permanent deal. :) Edited by Segovia

[quote name='Hyperion321' date='21 February 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1266816157' post='2196379']
To clarify for everyone:

The reason Sparta took the 20k tech as reparations was due to Legion attacking us in an aggressive war. Some say that supporting treaties via defensive clause negates this, but the fact remains that Legion hit Sparta in support of an aggressive attempt to take out C&G by TOP/IRON. For that, Sparta asked for reparations.

As I understand from Legion, their reasons for paying (remorse over OOC attacks) are different than our reasons for asking, but the transfer of tech will take place none the less.
[/quote]
This is coalition-style warfare thinking that your side has been blasting for the last 3 weeks.

[quote name='neneko' date='21 February 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1266816038' post='2196373']
I thought it was
Racist remarks directed at people = War
The math in this thread is getting worse and worse.
[/quote]

Its not the math that I'm asking about, I'm trying to understand the propaganda.

Yes racist remarks = WAR
But reacting to racist remarks and "Let's roll ________ " = overly paranoid unjustified aggressors. (At least according to the propaganda we've been hearing.)

But statements coming from the same level of people Justifies the victim of such nasty aggressions Reps.

So where does one draw the line? As I said I'm just trying to understand the propaganda.

edit spelling

Edited by Castles

[quote name='Kortal' date='22 February 2010 - 12:23 AM' timestamp='1266816235' post='2196384']
Adjusting reps accordingly over malicious comments (if ones clearly based solely on frustration and raw nerves). It wouldn't justify Sparta taking them to ezi, factoring the matter into calculations for reps though, well I see no issue there.

And to you and the rest of the people saying this is hurting Sparta pr-wise, the only angry parties are on the other side or are STA (who jump sides every few days themselves). I kind of doubt Sparta is all that anxious about being looked on in a positive light by those groups

The rest of us support Sparta 100% and will do so no matter how much reps they want from people attacking them.
[/quote]

STA never "jumped sides" in the war. We fought in defense of our allies in NpO when they were attacked. When our allies in MK requested our assistance in defending them against an attack, we obliged them, per our treaty obligation. I'm not sure how honoring our treaties can be construed as dishonorable, as you are attempting to do here, but please do enlighten me as to how STA's honoring our treaties with our allies is dishonorable and somehow negates the opinions of those amongst of who have chosen to speak up about what we perceive to be an injustice.

[quote name='Hyperion321' date='22 February 2010 - 05:22 AM' timestamp='1266816157' post='2196379']
To clarify for everyone:

[/quote]

This was true when you first offered the WP, was it not?

[quote name='Libera' date='22 February 2010 - 05:23 AM' timestamp='1266816208' post='2196382']
Can't say I followed you on your response. Clarify?
[/quote]

You might need to come read your embassy on our forums I guess. :v:

Edited by silentkiller

[quote name='Lord GVChamp' date='21 February 2010 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1266816408' post='2196394']
This is coalition-style warfare thinking that your side has been blasting for the last 3 weeks.
[/quote]
They were for it before they were against it.

War profiteering is a long held tradition here. Sparta isn't the first alliance to try to extract some profit from a war, they won't be the last.

[quote name='Heft' date='21 February 2010 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1266816352' post='2196389']
This little bit of re-invention of "aggressive" war that we've seen in the last week or so is fascinating. I mean, clearly, it's just the latest in a long tradition of ad hoc justifications for war profiteering, but the blatantness of it is spectacular.
[/quote]
Were you always as vocal against war profiteering, or is a recent change since Hegemony was defeated in Karma? This is a legitimate question, as I am curious.