What is a moralist?

AirMe

To me, a moralist is someone who believes in right and wrong in this game and lives to a supposed "moral code." I personally consider myself a moralist and always try to do what I perceive as the right thing. I do believe that there is a place for tech raiding in this world under certain conditions.

In this war people are using the term moralist to describe the Polar side but I don't see it that way. How do you see it?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morality is immoral and NpO are the new old NPO.

Down with the System! Freedom for those wo want to steal tech/land from alliances infringing the freedom of the others!

Edit: \m/ >_< \m/ METALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Edited by D34th

Morality is immoral and NpO are the new old NPO.

Down with the System! Freedom for those wo want to steal tech/land from alliances infringing the freedom of the others!

Edit: \m/ >_< \m/ METALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Ok, you are an idiot if that is what you think I am implying in this thread. You know what, just get out. I am seriously asking what peoples definition of a moralist is.

As the second combatant into the war on Polar's "side" I can say definitively that NSO is on no moral crusade and is lead by one that does not believe in a moral code for the Cyberverse.

The Sith act in the best interests of itself and its allies. We crusade against the Great Lie and that is all.

The Great Lie?

Apparently the newest word is that if you aren't a moralist, then you support racism.

Anyway, the way I see it, a 'moralist' is one who lives to a moral code, and attempts to go by what it deemed as community standards as that was something being thrown around a lot.

Edited by Mixoux

To me, a moralist is someone who believes in right and wrong in this game and lives to a supposed "moral code." I personally consider myself a moralist and always try to do what I perceive as the right thing. I do believe that there is a place for tech raiding in this world under certain conditions.

In this war people are using the term moralist to describe the Polar side but I don't see it that way. How do you see it?

You cannot in my opinion be a moralist and still be a tech raider. A tech raider is in effect a thief. It is immoral to be a thief.

Yeah, some will say well tech raiding is something that is done to keep the game interesting and fun. Guess what? Then we on our side of things can attack raiders for the same reason. Because it does create interest and its fun and above all in my opinion its the right thing to do. Sad thing about it is that it cannot be done in every case. If I could, my nation and or my alliance would be in endless wars. So unfortunately we have to choose which big battles to fight and even more sadly in which to just shake our fists.

You cannot in my opinion be a moralist and still be a tech raider. A tech raider is in effect a thief. It is immoral to be a thief.

Yeah, some will say well tech raiding is something that is done to keep the game interesting and fun. Guess what? Then we on our side of things can attack raiders for the same reason. Because it does create interest and its fun and above all in my opinion its the right thing to do. Sad thing about it is that it cannot be done in every case. If I could, my nation and or my alliance would be in endless wars. So unfortunately we have to choose which big battles to fight and even more sadly in which to just shake our fists.

I personally have never tech raided and never plan on it. But for the practical uses of it...it is a good way to train newbs on military tactics. This strategy was discussed in the NAAC when Grub was MoD. It was never implimented though. That is the main reason I see tech raiding as semi acceptable. I understand that isn't why most tech raid. In the Ronin charter we have allowed for limited tech raiding. To this day though, no one has applied for a raiding permit.

If people have issues with tech raiding, don't sign treaties with those who do it.

Peace.

I don't believe peace to be a lie. But I also am willing to concede that if everyone agreed with me this game would be a boring place.

Edited by AirMe

Everybody is a moralist. Technically. Morality is a code of conduct that a person adheres because they believe it is the best way of doing things.

While I agree with this, you can argue a narrower definition that it's someone who promotes or tries to enforce their morals on others. By that reasoning you could make a case that the neutrals and unaligned are not moralists. The argument falls apart when you attack them and find that they respond in defense of their member, but they're as close as you can come in this game to not being a moralist.

For the most part it's a stupid buzzword.

While I agree with this, you can argue a narrower definition that it's someone who promotes or tries to enforce their morals on others.

You could argue that. And that is pretty much what people are doing. I think people have an inherent need to frame complex events with terms that are easily graspable. It also seems that people like to apply those labels that imply a certain trait, usually negative one for the opposition, and a positive one for the home team.

For the most part it's a stupid buzzword.

I second this.

I coughed up my e-coffee thanks to you AirMe.

Also, morality is the herd-instinct in a individual.

Ok, you are an idiot if that is what you think I am implying in this thread. You know what, just get out. I am seriously asking what peoples definition of a moralist is.

You sir are a neo-moralist and if you think that asking me to get out of your thread with such behavior will work, you are mistaken.

I have the sovereignty of say whatever I want(without breaking the forum rules of course) wherever I want and moralists like you will not take my freedom away!

You sir are a neo-moralist and if you think that asking me to get out of your thread with such behavior will work, you are mistaken.

I have the sovereignty of say whatever I want(without breaking the forum rules of course) wherever I want and moralists like you will not take my freedom away!

It is sad that a talented and intelligent individual as yourself is getting dangerously close to my ignore list.

"Moralism" as practiced here, has absolutely nothing to do with actual morals but feigning moral outrage at every turn so the player can feel they are on the side of truth, justice, rainbows, unicorns, and baby woodland creatures.

While this must be comforting for those who describe themselves as amoral, that is an absurd statement. Those opposed to tech-raiding are typically from varying alliances, people I think of most prominently are Death, Bob Janova, Bzelger, Randominterrupt and scores of others I can't think of right now, who have been consistently opposed to tech-raiding for as long as they have bothered to post on these forums regardless of their political affiliation.

Alliance leaders may cynically exploit community outrage in order to justify their own schemes, which in my opinion is probably what Polaris is doing, but the posters usually labeled as Moralists have always opposed raiding for differing reasons- damage they feel it does to the community, disgust at the hypocritical rhetoric of "do something about it," empathy with the raided, past experience, being a member of a small alliance or unaligned themselves... the list goes on.

I fall in the category of "all of the above reasons" for condemning raiding, and as such I'll back any alliance whose victory means a blow to the practice of tech raiding. Regardless of the goals behind Polaris' attack, the war is clearly being waged on the basis of the validity of raids upon alliances constituting a valid CB. Certainly, that is what the tech-raiders seem most upset about. As someone who wants to see raiding eradicated, I'm all for attacking alliances who view tech-raiding other alliances to be tolerable. And as such I'm for the defeat of the coalition that has congealed around \m/.

Guess that means I'm feigning "outrage" so I can feel I'm on the side of "truth, justice, rainbows, unicorns, and baby woodland creatures."

It is sad that a talented and intelligent individual as yourself is getting dangerously close to my ignore list.

The best way to make someone knows how you are feeling is make them feel the same thing. Now you know how I feel about \m/ members like Starfox and the others who claim NpO to be neo-moralists, enjoy :P

Edit: Oh and my next \m/ behavior for your reply would be:

You can't put me in the ignore list! This isn't fair!

Edited by D34th

In CN, if you have to ask what a moralist is, you are a moralist.

If genuine curiosity drives you to post this question in a new topic, you might be a neo-moralist. :smug:

What RandomInterrupt posted also is true.

More serious answer for CN:

For the willfully daft, a moralist is anyone who appeals to any conception whatsoever of right and wrong.