Request to the CNRP-community

Lynneth

Option clarifications at the end of the post  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And even if their armor could eat dozens of 120mm shells or larger, they would be knocked over by the impacts.

Lets see, there is a couple hundred angry protesters, you think lines of riot police officers are going to scare them away? No. How about a 2-4 stories tall mech that has weapons equipped and is stomping toward them? Definitely.

For the weapons, tone them down so the mech won't get knocked over. Maybe add in stabilizers in the legs so they can extend outward and help prevent the robot from tipping over while firing (though that would require the mech to stop)?

For any sort of artillery piece, you would need four or more legs (As state in my earlier post) and in that case it would be pretty darn stable, and able to handle the recoil of a large gun. If you try to stick anything more that a 20 mm autocannon onto a two legged mech, it will fall over, and it will die. Two legged mechs will always have problems, but a lot of the time, it's easy to see what can and can't work just by looking at it. For example:

Idea.pngnewmech-1.png

Look at those. It's pretty easy to see that the first one would fall back the second you tried to fire. The second one (Though still a bit over armed) would be much more equipped to handle the recoil (If you ignore that those are recoiless rifles, of course).

And as for armoring, yah, mechs would never be able to handle the armor you can stick on a tank without being four legged (And even then it would be slow, weighed down, and a big target). As a riot control system, you gain the benefit of being able to fire from up high, have the armor to deal with what random people can throw at you, and you gain the obvious fear factor.

EDIT: Also, one thing I've been forgetting. Vision. With all the moving parts, and tight packed areas of the components, you would have a lot of trouble getting a good view of what's happening around you on a four plus legged model.

Edited by Il Terra Di Agea

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prototype battlemechs should be allowed in my opinion, but only in very limited numbers.

And like all prototypes they will have problems that will limit their effectiveness when compared to a tank of the same tonnage. And they would probably be more at home at a testing facility than on an actual battlefield. Mainly because it would be impractical to armor the legs and keep them flexible enough to offer an advantage over an armored tracked propulsion system in terms of maneuverability using the current technology available or projected to be available by 2020.

But I can see things like the power loader out of aliens or the timberjack legged forestry machine being far more practical applications of walker technology at the level of tech that is the ceiling for CNRP.

Because just as tracked tractors preceded tanks, commercial walkers will precede battlemechs.

For any sort of artillery piece, you would need four or more legs (As state in my earlier post) and in that case it would be pretty darn stable, and able to handle the recoil of a large gun. If you try to stick anything more that a 20 mm autocannon onto a two legged mech, it will fall over, and it will die. Two legged mechs will always have problems, but a lot of the time, it's easy to see what can and can't work just by looking at it. For example:

Idea.pngnewmech-1.png

Look at those. It's pretty easy to see that the first one would fall back the second you tried to fire. The second one (Though still a bit over armed) would be much more equipped to handle the recoil (If you ignore that those are recoiless rifles, of course).

And as for armoring, yah, mechs would never be able to handle the armor you can stick on a tank without being four legged (And even then it would be slow, weighed down, and a big target). As a riot control system, you gain the benefit of being able to fire from up high, have the armor to deal with what random people can throw at you, and you gain the obvious fear factor.

EDIT: Also, one thing I've been forgetting. Vision. With all the moving parts, and tight packed areas of the components, you would have a lot of trouble getting a good view of what's happening around you on a four plus legged model.

Then again, when you think about it (the matter of a 4 legged model), a tank uses computers to actually get a visual view of it's surroundings, correct? Plus 4-legged models would serve mostly as Self-Propelled artilery, albeit using the same caliber round as some tank models (105-mm or 120-mm smoothbore), and maybe a defensive weapon.

I agree with you on the 2-legged deal, though what about rockets and .50-cal (12.7-mm) Heavy Machine Guns? Surely it doesn't have that much recoil, does it?

Then again, when you think about it (the matter of a 4 legged model), a tank uses computers to actually get a visual view of it's surroundings, correct? Plus 4-legged models would serve mostly as Self-Propelled artilery, albeit using the same caliber round as some tank models (105-mm or 120-mm smoothbore), and maybe a defensive weapon.

I agree with you on the 2-legged deal, though what about rockets and .50-cal (12.7-mm) Heavy Machine Guns? Surely it doesn't have that much recoil, does it?

In before Macross Missile Massacre

Unless Botha's Centurions are not those old relics and carry MMM's, I don't see it being possible.

To late, page 1 yo.

Asimo can 'run' at 6 km/h. That was in 2005.

In 2004, he ran at 3 km/h.

In 2000, he couldn't run at all.

See the improvements over relatively short time?

Anyways, what ITDA says is quite truthful, imo (especially the bit about my bots that I stole from Avatar. Topheavy, etc, probably useful for riot control)

Thats because there is 4 billion years of pre-done research in how legs work. The best 4 billion years has done? 60 mph or so on a cheetah.

I doubt even with a hundred years you'll get a walker past human jogging speed.

as for Asimo his "run" is barely higher the regular human walking speed.

The problem with making fast mechs is the legs have to move faster than the mech is going. You get something that big moving that fast and you need a big engine, or a highly efficient engine. Nature went efficiency.

Edited by Tahsir Re

The problem with making fast mechs is the legs have to move faster than the mech is going. You get something that big moving that fast and you need a big engine, or a highly efficient engine. Nature went efficiency.

Another problem is stopping the mech if it is moving fast. In RL, semi-trucks need to have better brakes than cars since they have so much mass. 20 ton moving at 60 mph is a lot tougher to stop than 2 ton moving at 60 mph. Same thing with mechs. You make a 20 ton mech immediately stop after walking at a pace of 10 mph is going to topple over since most of it's weight is at the top part.

Another problem is stopping the mech if it is moving fast. In RL, semi-trucks need to have better brakes than cars since they have so much mass. 20 ton moving at 60 mph is a lot tougher to stop than 2 ton moving at 60 mph. Same thing with mechs. You make a 20 ton mech immediately stop after walking at a pace of 10 mph is going to topple over since most of it's weight is at the top part.

Same reason you don't see elephants racing cheetahs.

If we do allow them, (and that does seem the most likely with how the votes are going) I would figure that we would need a devider rather than a multiplier. Lets try...

1 Walker = 3 Tanks.

If that seems to little just remember in their current form Walkers aren't that much of a problem in combat, just about anyone with a grenade is liable to destroy one.

If we do allow them, (and that does seem the most likely with how the votes are going) I would figure that we would need a devider rather than a multiplier. Lets try...

1 Walker = 3 Tanks.

If that seems to little just remember in their current form Walkers aren't that much of a problem in combat, just about anyone with a grenade is liable to destroy one.

It's easier to not allow mechs at all and avoid the hassle of some idiot finding a 1940's concept and saying they can now make it.

It's easier to not allow mechs at all and avoid the hassle of some idiot finding a 1940's concept and saying they can now make it.

And then they have to come up with a way of getting it to walk faster than one mph, building/maintaining it, and be forced to slap on weak armoring/weaponry due to weight restriction.

If they want an army of mech that can be brought down with light AT infantry weapons, let them be. At least I get to watch their army of mech get shredded by bombs, shells, tanks, and infantry and unable to move forward or retreat fast enough due to their massive size (hard to transport) and slow speed. :awesome:

Edited by HHAYD

1 Walker = 3 Tanks.

Logically all armor in CNRP is based on equivalent values, supplemented by Botha's First Law of Responsible RPing, in both performance and numbers.

1 Walker = 1 Tank

It would ultimately be a silly decision to make walkers, because more often than not tanks would trounce walkers.

Meanwhile, all posted votes added together should be

7 - 0 - 6 - 13

The poll itself shows similar numbers (if about twice as many votes).

In the 'open' poll, option 4 achieved less than 50%, in the 'posting-poll' it achieved 50%. This is, in my opinion, not enough to RP option four.

(Reminder: "Yes. Also usable in wars provided all participants agree to their use.")

It is, however, enough to validate option 3.

("Yes, but only for Character RPs, and not in wars.")

I request a GM to confirm this.

Voted 4; i'm fine with it assuming you allow others to agree to it in situations where their use matters. In character RP, or just situational RP in war (like a soldier RP) idc if you throw them in as a more character intensive RP without approval.

Side note: I enjoyed your phraseology: 'lolGundam'. :P

Edited by iamthey

Voted 4; i'm fine with it assuming you allow others to agree to it in situations where their use matters. In character RP, or just situational RP in war (like a soldier RP) idc if you throw them in as a more character intensive RP without approval.

Side note: I enjoyed your phraseology: 'lolGundam'. :P

Is there anyone who did not? ;)

• 3 weeks later...
What do those look like? Never saw District 9.

About twice the height of an adult human, can jump about 5 meters into the air, run at the same speed of a typical adult's running speed, loaded with weapons, and looked like a robotic version of the aliens without the eyes. It did get demolished by high caliber bullets and a RPG though.

Edited by HHAYD

About twice the height of an adult human, can jump about 5 meters into the air, run at the same speed of a typical adult's running speed, loaded with weapons, and looked like a robotic version of the aliens without the eyes. It did get demolished by high caliber bullets and a RPG though.

>>can jump about 5 meters into the air

Yeah.

>>run at the same speed of a typical adult's running speed

Right.

>>loaded with weapons

No way my walkers will ever have capabilities like that. Mine will be goddamned bulky and stuff. Like the first WWI-tanks, only with legs.

As said numerous times before.

Edited by Lynneth